Honda CX 500 Forum banner

981 - 997 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #981
I was able to get the sensor mount all painted up and ready to mount now! I recessed the bolt hole location so a washer would fit flush with the mount and keep the sleek look.

20170211_192229.jpg

Next step is to swap over the temp sensor and then begin to wire up all the new components!!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #982 (Edited)
I am still here, even if I haven't updated the thread in a long time! I have been pretty busy and progress has been slow with the wiring updates and general cleanup so there wasn't a huge need to post lots of stuff.

The temperature sending unit is now installed and working good:

20170307_202653.jpg

One of the mounts on the E-fan cracked, and so I had to redo all the mounting for the fan:

20170310_201135.jpg

And while trying to adjust the handlebar turn signals this happened:

20170310_204036.jpg

So it was at this point that I decided to go back over the bike with a fine tooth comb and check all the things I had previously done to ensure that everything was good and reliable for the 2017 riding season. Still going through and redoing some wiring and cleaning up as much stuff as I can. This includes new wiring for the fan and fan switch with fiberglass sleeving:

20170327_195642.jpg

And making a proper fan switch instead of having it JB welded to the bottom of the rad. I bough a 95° temp switch from Amazon that had M14 threads. I then used a file to remove the threads, retapped at M12 x 1.25 and changed out the 95° switch to the normal 80° one that I had been having good success with before. A little thermal paste in the bottom and JB weld around the edge and it turned out very nicely:

20170409_175803.jpg

I also chopped off the tach cable and used it to plug the drive from the engine. I was going to buy a fancy aluminum one, but no one will ever see this anyways so I wasn't too concerned if it was ugly.

20170324_200721.jpg

So I think that is about it for now. I am painting/repainting a few components at the moment and finishing up the wiring for the new gauges. I shall try to keep posting as things come up!

Reactions: OCR

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #983 (Edited)
It's been so long since the previous update I forgot what I had posted last!
I have been super busy trying to get the bike all done and ran into a number of issues/changes that needed to be made.

First things first, the e-fan is nicely mounted now with new shrouding:

20170414_114112.jpg

I also decided to paint the intakes black so they were a bit more discreet:

20170412_185231.jpg

And I wanted to clean up and repaint the front radiator grill as it was kind of rough from when I first made it. So I sanded it down:

20170412_203129.jpg

Printed out some lettering instead of masking and painting it on:

20170422_182519.jpg

And how it looks now:

20170422_202056.jpg

The speedo sensor mounted very nicely and appears to be working too:

20170501_210206.jpg

20170610_190443.jpg

I also attempted to make some new foot pegs but these failed because the mount material was too thin. I might come back to this in the future:

20170520_214248.jpg

The gauges are the next monster to mention, but that is worth another post later on ;)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #984
The gauges.....oh yes, what a pain these things turned out to be.

First I shall explain with pictures what my thought process was and where I am at now.

Here is the nice new set of gauges I came up with, all mounted and wired and working great!

20170310_204235.jpg

20170327_210422.jpg

Annnnnnd you can probably tell right away what my dilemma is........I am looking at a face lol :scratch:
I thought it would be okay, but the more I looked at it the more I hated it. I didn't want to look at the gauges all the time and see a face staring back at me.
So I thought it might look better if I made a cover for the Moto 360 when I am not using it......turns out it didn't look any better...

20170409_192553.jpg

And it looks even worse when I put the fairing on. Now the face is wearing a bicycle helmet.... :vs_cry:

20170406_205418.jpg

So after much deliberation, I made the decision to remove the Moto 360 for now as I could not find a way to make the gauges look good with it on the bike positioned where it was. This meant taking off the original mount with the back lit lettering too unfortunately. I really like the concept of the mini GPS, but I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, so later on I might make a handlebar mounted version that I can remove and use on longer trips.

With the Moto 360 out of the way now, I had full access to the middle of the mount so that I could stack the gauges instead of having them side by side. So I designed a new mount.....which was also a flop haha

20170512_191404.jpg

The main problem with this design is that it didn't fit into the shape the front area. This left large "holes" that you could look into and see the wiring and whatnot. It also didn't flow well with everything else on the bike. Once again, I was not happy with it.

So I would like to introduce the newest design, and the one that has finally worked out for me and I am very happy with. Here it is fresh off the 3D printer:

20170514_154204.jpg

But that is just a taste for now, I will post the completed pictures a bit later when I get back from a trip I am going on. Until then, stay safe! :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Love me some rapid prototyping! What material are you using to print? I used PLA for my rear turn signals, but those won't have the sun exposure that your instrument cluster would have.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #986
Love me some rapid prototyping! What material are you using to print? I used PLA for my rear turn signals, but those won't have the sun exposure that your instrument cluster would have.
You and me both :D
The gauge mount was printed in PLA as I find I can get a lot cleaner and detailed prints without warping issues. So far I haven't had any issues with the parts deforming or melting in the sun, but only time will tell. Most parts that see direct sunlight will be painted with primer and paint, so I find that really helps to hold the prints together too.

Reactions: MobileAZN

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #988 (Edited)
I can't even think of a response to that haha:p

So back to the gauges, here is the mount after a bit of cleanup:

20170514_155635.jpg

I did have to make a few trims here and there to get it to fit nicely, but a file and soldering iron made it pretty simple. It now fits nicely and fills the space very well:

20170514_161405.jpg

However, after mounting it and standing back, I disliked how much of an opening there was between the front fairing and the forks. This meant you could see a lot of the wiring and really made the bike look incomplete. It is hard to see from this angle, but this is the area I am talking about:

20170514_161508.jpg

So, I made more work for myself, and decided to add an extension onto the side of the fairing. This meant scraping away the black paint, attaching in the new sides and repainting. I found a soldering iron worked really well to fuse the new sides to the original fairing, and after some sanding and paint it was unnoticeable.

20170519_183224.jpg

And finally, after many many many iterations of the gauges......

20170606_220219.jpg

I have something that I love and think really completes the look of the bike! I am very happy with how it turned out, it is sleek and simple, yet has all the information anyone could ever want. The Motoscope Mini shows the speed and engine RPM, as well as trip, odometer, timer and other useful info. You can cycle through the various functions by the small push button located just above the gauge. The temperature gauge shows the temperature (duh) and the indicator lights show all the functions of the bike, and are tucked away nicely above the ignition switch. When riding the bike they are perfectly in the line of sight and are bright enough to see even on a sunny day. After many countless tries and hours, here are the gauges:

20170523_221224.jpg

20170523_221236.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #989
I also repainted the cylinder head covers and decided to keep the fins raw aluminum. It really makes them pop I think!

20170525_212043.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #992
Thanks for the support and kind words guys!! :)

Another small update that I did on the bike was cleaning up the rear wiring some more (a never ending project it seems). I wanted to keep the sequential turn signals, but the delay circuits were pretty large and the wiring was a mess of splitters and different connectors.
So the first step was to find smaller delay circuits. A quick search pulled up some really nice microprocessor units similar to my flashing brake light unit that I had bought a while back. Then it was time to wire everything together into a nice little package that will keep everything neat and in line. The two black units are the turn signal delay units, and the clear one is the brake flasher:

20170427_201828.jpg

Then it was just a matter of spending hours trying to figure out the best way to put them all together, wire them all together into a neat package, and make it reliable! I decided to go with screw terminals because it makes connecting and routing the wires a lot easier and neat. Each unit has a push button to control the functions and get the timing right. Here it is all ready to go:

20170428_185642.jpg

But I couldn't very well put that on the bike just like that, so I designed and 3D printed a little housing for it. The lid is removable to get easy access to the screw terminals, and the difference colors are to help with wiring it up correctly:

20170429_151425.jpg

All together its a nice little package and really helps to clean up all the wiring on the bike!

·
Registered
375 Posts
wish I had a 3d printer now. I was making some slight adjustments to my rear wiring today and your little control bar would for sure tidy things up back there. Great job

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #995
3D printers shine for the small projects when you want to make a cover or box or something small and simple that you can't seem to find elsewhere. Everyone needs to get one!!! It brings world peace apparently :p

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
So recently Cambridge had a street art festival where artists from around the world came and made amazing chalk and graffiti art pieces around main street. Unfortunately I missed out on the chalk ones as it rained a couple days after the event and they all got washed away, but luckily I was able to scope out some of the walls that had been painted. These artists are super talented and it always amazes me when they create such beautiful masterpieces in such a short amount of time!!! Some of the walls were really tricky to find, with some being down back alleys and hidden parking lots. I figure I would share some of the cool shots I took when I was riding my bike around trying to get the pictures of the graffiti and my bike.

This one was tucked away in the back lot of some shops and buildings:

20170626_180529-01-01.jpeg

This breathtaking piece was alongside a small road by a bank:

20170626_181513-01.jpg

This one was against the building next to an open parking lot:

20170626_181914-01.jpeg

20170626_181927-01.jpeg

And this final one was tucked away in the smallest parking lot that I never knew existed. There is only one entrance/exit that is literally passing through two buildings and I missed it many times before I caught a glimpse of the art piece:

20170626_182902-01.jpeg

20170626_183158-01.jpg

Safe riding! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice pics of your bike and the chalk art in Cambridge Motomicah. I used to live in Cambridge as well but have since moved to Listowel. Seeing your photos gave me ideas for my CX500 as well. Did you do all the painting of the tank, valve covers and forks yourself? I want to do my forks in Gloss Black and heads in either red of burnt orange. I also want to have my exhaust painted gloss black.

981 - 997 of 997 Posts