Honda CX 500 Forum banner

961 - 980 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #961
I have no suggestions, but I've been watching the creation of this thing with admiration.

Just make it work! ;)
That positivity helps a lot because it builds up the motivation I've been lacking! So I say thank you for your support CXPHREAK, even if what you say is easier said than done :p
But I haven't given up on any challenges this bike has thrown at me yet, and after all this time and work I'm not about to give up now!

·
Super Moderator
20,951 Posts
I might be weird, but I don't tend to think much about these problems.

There's a part in the back of my head that will process a lot of stuff and give me answers without a lot of conscious thought. I've always considered it 'the boys in the back room'.

So .... maybe a few beers might help? :)

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #964
LOL, best description I've heard yet CXPHREAK!!! :p

And thanks for the link and info jak! Luckily I still have the adapter from the current Equus temp gauge I have, but I appreciate the help all the same! I really like what you did with the electric fan switch though as currently mine is just JB-welded to the bottom of the rad. I might be stealing some ideas from that thread of yours ;)

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #965 (Edited)
We have good news and bad news! Good news is I finally got a job after a long search and even longer schooling! Bad news is that I will have even less time to work on the bike now :( but.......also more money to throw at it :p

Now to the important information, what have I been up to with the bike? After a long time spent modelling, and remodeling, and modelling some more, I finally finished the design for the new gauge cluster. It was very challenging due to the complex geometry and number of components that needed to be mounted and positioned. But here is the finished product, and I am quite pleased with it:

Gauges V2 1.JPG

Yes I know it looks very weird by itself lol, almost like a rabbit head! But the purpose of those wings going down is to cover the sides behind the fairing and clean up the front by hiding some of the wiring.

Now to some of the details that I have designed into it. First off, I needed to have a new set of indicator lights on the new dash, and the ones I originally bought were nice but too big with their housings. So I bought some super bright 3 mm LED's in the required colors, along with the correct resistors to have them run off the 12V from the bike. Concerning the mounting of the lights I wanted something removable so that I could do all the wiring outside of the main body, and then slide it in afterwards. This would make wiring, repairs and assembly a lot easier, so I designed a little tray that slides into the bottom of the main body and screws into place. It has a spot for each LED and enough room to house the resistors too.

Gauges V2 2.JPG

Another problem that I faced was that the KOSO temp gauge was rectangular while the Motoscope mini was oval shape. I tried keeping the original form factor and didn't like the asymmetrical look. So the answer was not an easy one to design, but involved making a cover that went over the KOSO gauge to make it look oval. I made sure that all the numbers were still visible, and I think it really makes the whole thing look more sleek and modern. In the picture you can also see the button that comes with the Motoscope mini to do all the programming and change between modes. I had to design a small button cap so that the button would be easier to press once mounted on the bike.

Gauges V2 3.JPG

And after all that time spent modelling it was time to print it off finally! The shape of the part made it hard to print though, and I ended up using a bunch of support on the main face to ensure that the surface wouldn't have any droops or missing sections. Here is the part fresh off the printer:

20161226_191349.jpg

And after cleaning off all the support material. I also printed out the other required components and dummy versions of the gauges to do tests with fitment.

20161227_131100.jpg

Next steps are to sand and prep the surface for paint, and make any necessary adjustments to ensure it fits good on the bike!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #967
Thanks JC! I hope it turns out as well as I think it will in my head! :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #968
After spraying a few coats of sandable primer and smoothing all the print lines out, I sprayed on a few coats of flat black. It won't be a perfect color match for the surrounding 3D printed Moto 360 mount, but should blend in nicely with the rest of the bike.

20170103_221429.jpg

And then it was time to start adding connectors to the various components and electronics. I finished the temp gauge, programming button and the LED indicator lights.

20170103_221723.jpg

And I forgot to show off the Motogadget Motoscope mini, so here she is in all her glory! I can't wait to get it up and running! Merry Christmas to myself :p

20170103_221537.jpg

I still have to finish the Motoscope mini connectors and a few other wiring items like the sensors and whatnot, but all in good time!

Reactions: VladTepes and OCR

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #970
Thanks cx500slacker! I keep trying to get more done on it and take photos but something always comes up it seems :( so hopefully I will be able to focus back on it in the next little while!

Reactions: cx500slacker

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bud I hear ya I am still working towards the first start. I have been getting the parts I need but with our winter so far working in the garage is tough (no heat). Front end is getting there and I am just starting to mock up my electrics tray. Maybe sometime this year I will see your bike in person the pics look great but once running I will have to start thinking about what next winters project will be. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #972
Haha the cold has been brutal I agree! Puts a damper on everything and takes away a lot of the motivation.
I'm going to try and make it out to more group rides so I hope to see you on the road this summer! All the best in your build too, it's coming along really nicely :D

The nice thing about wiring components is that some of it can be done indoors. So I was able to finish up putting all the connectors on the various items and put them in the mount. I think it turned out quite nicely in the end! Very excited to put it on the bike now.

20170115_213555.jpg

20170114_195212.jpg

And another thing that can be done by the warmth of the computer is design things :p I needed a way to mount the speedometer sensor that comes with the Motoscope mini. The front end has very few mounting points and I didn't want to use a bolt for the brakes for safety reasons, and also wanted to avoid having something clamping around the forks. So I got to thinking, and remembered that I needed to plug the old speedometer cable input. I figured that it might make a good mounting point for the sensor too as the disc bolts are located close by and I can place the tiny magnet on them to trigger the sensor. So I took a few measurements and came up with this design below. The sensor mounts through the top hole, and then there is a cover that goes over top just to keep things tidy and protect the sensor. I am not 100% sure if this will work, but it's such a small component that I can easily print a few different versions out and try them first. Hoping to print it out tomorrow!

Sensor Mount 2.JPG

·
Registered
375 Posts
that dashboard looks like a batman helmet. Very cool being able to 3D print your own parts. It pretty much guarantees you will have a 1 off bike design.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #975
Haha thanks guys! My head is starting to swell a bit :p

The gauges do indeed look like a mask lol. It wasn't something I was necessarily going for but I think it looks okay all the same! The way the ignition switch and Moto 360 mount are laid out kind of forced the design to a point, and I didn't want to change all of those things. Gives it more of that custom look like you mentioned though!

The 3D printer is one of the most useful and powerful tools I own! If anyone is debating on whether or not to get one, jump on it! That being said, it is also very helpful to have some modelling skills, but the software these days is very user friendly and lots of free versions exist. I can't stop designing new things for the bike :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #976
I was able to print off the sensor mount, but ran into a few issues with the initial design I came up with. There wasn't enough room on the top and I ran into clearance issues, and after trying to push it in further, the shaft that goes into the body partially broke off. So along with increasing the clearance I also wanted to strengthen the shaft to ensure that it wouldn't fail on me. So I designed a cutout along the bottom and side as well as two through holes in the shaft. I then filled these cutouts with JB weld to give a more homogeneous component to ensure the layers don't separate.

I printed the new part out and unfortunately ran into more issues. I was able to fully insert and mount the part, but I was not pleased with how loose it was. I don't want the sensor coming off and ripping apart in my tire, so the design must be very robust! Back to the drawing board for a new redesign with slightly different profiles and altered dimensions.

Here you can see the two versions so far. The front one is the initial design and the back one is the second version. Both failures, but at least the cover works good :p

20170121_111929.jpg

·
Registered
375 Posts
When you create things from scratch it takes time and failures to get it where you want. Otherwise you will just have a design that looks thrown together. Keep it up you seem to have a handle on what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #979
Keep it up you seem to have a handle on what you are doing.
Well that makes one of us! I must have a pretty good poker face haha ;)

fail fast, fail often
I should get that stitched on my jacket! Good life motto I think!

Thanks for the support guys, hoping to have it working soon!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #980 (Edited)
So after a long break and lots of thoughts on redesigns, I took a closer look around the front end and found another bolt that I can mount off of. The little bracket that holds the speedo cable just as it comes out of the drive is no longer needed, and the bolt hole is close enough that I can use it along with the original mount. The two together should provide a nice sturdy mount! Here is the initial render with the new support and the slightly redesigned mount:

Sensor Mount 3.JPG

I printed out the mount in ABS, and the cover and support in PLA due to their respective size and shapes. They all came out pretty nicely and once sanded and painted should look really slick! On the far right you can see the first failed version of the support. I had to adjust the hole location and changed the style slightly to be more discrete on the wheel.

20170210_213110.jpg

The mount and support pieces slot together and to ensure a permanent bond I attached them with JB weld. Just waiting for it to dry now and hopefully I can get it painted tomorrow!

961 - 980 of 997 Posts