Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Ozdeluxe.

42K views 231 replies 34 participants last post by  bahn88 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi fellers, thought it was about time I started a build thread here.

I've been converting an 81 standard [shadow here] to a US deluxe model. Why? Because we either didn't get the deluxe here or if we did they're very rare. My wife and I both like this model and this one is for my wife.

The red bike in this pic is what I started with.

The bike was stripped down and the frame and associated components stripped to bare metal, etch primed, red oxide primed and sprayed with epoxy enamel.

Here's the carnage shot.

Frame work.

Stripped.

Vehicle Engine Automobile repair shop Auto part Car
Machine

Etch primed.

Red oxide primed.

And painted.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Spoke
Crane Vehicle Plant Metal
Vehicle Car Crane

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
And this is what I have as of last weekend. The electrical plate has been rebuilt, though I haven't fitted the solenoid cover yet. The RR has been tested.

Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Suspension part Engine

It has been fitted with new tapered roller headset bearings. The forks have been rebuilt with new seals, wipers, caps and 'O' rings and fitted with 1/2 inch of preload spacers and 15W fork oil. They've also been polished. The handlebars are the correct type, supplied by VC3. Thankyou Victor.

Motorcycle Motor vehicle Chopper Vehicle Automotive tire

The airbox is the best one I had here and cleaned up quite nicely. The swingarm receivers have been reinstalled, the swingarm and rear shocks should go back on this weekend.

Triple, barclamp and fuse cover were polished.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Carburetor Metal

Am currently cleaning up 2 front wheels so I can select the best one for this bike.

More later.

Attachments

#5 ·
Impressing work there, Phreak,

I wish I had that kind of persistance and determination! I take small shortcuts too often which shows in the end result.

That´ll be a very nice bike, no doubt!

Are you going all the way? I´m thinking of paint and front wheel / brake? Single disc?

My previous Deluxe now has a very determined owner, who just recently fitted dual twin pot calipers (and rotors) and -81 fork legs.

Looks quite sexy:

Sture

Reactions: CXPHREAK
#6 ·
Hi Sture,

I like that deluxe, some nice mods on it and that's what I like about the cx/gl range in general, so many parts and styles can be interchanged so that you can make the bike to suit yourself. I've never been one to keep something totally original to the last nut and bolt, If it works for me that's all that matters.

#8 ·
Thanks Sture, I'm giving this one my best, both in effort and the parts on hand. It will retain the twin disc front end that it started with. I like to be able to stop if I have to. I'm not going for dead nuts original, more a tidy, lightly owner modified bike. It will be twin disc, single pot caliper. I don't like the standard headlight nacelle and this seems a good way to lose it.

I would like to replicate the deluxe paintwork, but some compromise will be necessary as my wife will have input here. I will try to gently steer her in the right direction.

The deluxe in your pic is very nice.

Wolfgang, the bike you are referring to is a 72 CB450 K5. It's ratty but runs. It is still as I bought it a couple of years back. Aside from the CXs I have 3 of these. One near completed but sidelined when the CX bug bit and another I've had for 30 years and is now awaiting resto. He has less than 5000 miles on him.

Also, as you well know, that is rust in that handlebar bolt.
Some of the hardware is just keeping the spot while the stuff that will actually be used is prepared. I actually couldn't find my stash of handlebar bolts in the shed when I put the front end on. That's because they were inside here where I was cleaning them up.
The lower yoke bolts are temporary too. I can't afford bright zinc plate and the like so they're sprayed with bright zinc galv touch up, which is a fairly close match to original.

#13 ·
Look!

that tarts even highlighted the figures on the switch in red!

that made me think about going out and cleaning mine, but luckily it

was a passing madness.

I cleaned it in errrrrr

ummmmmmmm

uhhhhhhh

lemme see now

uhhhhhh

just gimme a minute

ummmmmm..........

#14 · (Edited)
My daily rider custom has a lot of polished alloy, but our climate is kinder to this sort of stuff than yours, even in winter. A half hour every couple of months keeps it shiny in fair weather. A bit more frequently in winter. It's on the road most days as it's my only transport.

And this is the near completed CB450 K5. The one awaiting resto is a K4.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#17 · (Edited)
Hi fellers, since I mentioned this bike in another post last night I thought I'd update this thread to the point that I am currently at with this bikes thread on the Oz forum. I'll be updating both threads fairly soon as I've got a few more bits prepared ready to be fitted when I get the chance, namely instruments and a refurbished 16" comstar.

OK, you've seen this area before, but with a minor change of direction in deciding to run the headlight and horns through the relay here is a shot with the extra 30 amp feed and fuse added along with the loom.

Auto part Electrical wiring Vehicle Suspension Fuel line

New headlight with ratsnest of wiring still to be sorted. Deluxe emblem support added with wiring correctly routed. Fuse wiring needed to be extended and this was done by joining two units to keep the number of splices down. These were staggered to avoid the big bulge. All soldered with two layers of heat shrink.

Fenderliner added. This is the best one I've got here. This bike is getting all the best bits. Also the coolant bottle.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

And the switchgear.

Vehicle Auto part Car
Bumper Auto part

More soonish. I'll also be starting a thread on my thingy :D fairly soon. Electrical wiring Cable management Wire Technology Bicycle wheel

#22 · (Edited)
The lettering was painted in with Humbrol modelling enamel Wolfgang, then wiped over with a fine grained rag lightly dampened with white spirit to remove any excess. The lettering andthe black paint [VHT case black] were then oven baked.

Both paints when oven baked are tough enough to stand up to constant handling. My everyday rider was done close to 5 years ago with no chips or rub throughs.

I was nearly going to remove the final drive lubrication information but decided to leave it there as this bike will be mostly stock except for the polishing. The unit had been repainted at some time in pearlescent silver so I left that and just polished the letters. For a more 'custom' job I'd probably just strip the info off entirely.

While I'm here, here are the instruments I finished last night [except for the 7 volt reg, tested but not yet cleaned up and added - that's for tonight] These were kindly sourced for me by VC3 including the NOS idiot light binnacle cover. As you can see, it's an 85 MPH US speedo in accordance with this bikes build. I was tempted to zero the odometer but as this bike may need to be inspected I left it alone since resetting a speedo is actually an offence. The milage is irrelevent really as the bike had no instruments so no idea of its actual milage. They have new cushions, mounting grommets, polished stainless hardware and the mount is painted in duplicolour gloss black engine enamel and baked.

Speedometer Tachometer Gauge Measuring instrument Auto part
Auto part

#23 ·
These were kindly sourced for me by VC3 including the NOS idiot light binnacle cover.
If I guess correctly, I have the carcass from that bike ('79 Deluxe.) When it was parted out, I believe VC3 bought most of the good parts before I picked up the remains.

These look a bit better than the rest of the bike. Nice work.

R

#34 ·
We don't have unlimited-speed Autobahns....I'd guess an 85 mph speedo would be adequate anywhere in the US for legal riding.....

At 85 mph on many roads in the US, a trooper pulls you over and you lose your license.....30 over the speed limit usually is enough to get one pulled.

#26 ·
Thanks Randall... I did say I don't like cheese... unless I can eat it.

Wolfgang, Murrays answer is as good as any to me... I don't know. Though I did top out the speedo in a hotted up Hillman Hunter I once owned and killed it.

It won't be an issue with this bike, I don't expect it will see much over our max speed limit, about 70.

The thingy on the other hand.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.