Honda CX 500 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Very nice! Love the profile...
Thanks flyinelvis!
I followed your previous build and I must say you have made a beautiful bike! Seeing yours was a big inspiration for me to make my own.
Can't wait to see what's in store for you current build too.

Reactions: flyinelvis

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Just about finished wiring up the e-fan. Next up is the new gauges.
And some pics of the wiring for those who are interested.

Covered the wires coming from the fan with split loom to protect them:

IMG_8602.JPG

The wires that hook into the fan and temp switch. The red arrow is pointing to the positive lead from the battery, this hooks directly into the fan.
The blue wires are attached to the temp switch and go back to the relay and ground.
One thing I am not certain of is if it matters what lead you attach to on the temp switch as there is no indicator on the actual unit. I am assuming since it's just a switch it does not matter the direction of current flow, but If this is wrong could someone please let me know.

IMG_8605.JPG

The location of the relay:

IMG_8601.JPG

To make it a bit more clear, I also took a better picture of the project box that I put all the wiring coming from the old headlight bucket in:

IMG_8598.JPG

And Lastly how I ended up last night. Got the rad install, all the wiring ran with proper protection for certain areas, and just need to clean up a few loose ends and attach the grounds:

IMG_8607.JPG

·
Registered
24,197 Posts
not to be a critical [email protected]#t but when the fan tries to suck air thru the rad it will pull the fan closer to the rad cores

i think you had better make sure the metal on you fan mounts cant rub thru the rad core your mount is not solid enough

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
not to be a critical [email protected]#t but when the fan tries to suck air thru the rad it will pull the fan closer to the rad cores

i think you had better make sure the metal on you fan mounts cant rub thru the rad core your mount is not solid enough
No worries, I need all the help I can get lol.
I did think of this and the picture doesn't show it that well but there is a rubber protector all along the edge of the fan so it will not rub on the core. The tabs are bent up slightly also to make sure they don't come into contact either.
The whole fan itself is wired onto the rad at four points with two separate wires for each mounting point. I tried lifting and shaking the whole rad while holding just the fan and it didn't budge an inch.
It's not the prettiest but it's solid. I know a lot of guys weld tabs onto the sides of the rad and mount to that, maybe I should do that instead? What would you recommend?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If you really want it to move air, make a plate mount that has some taper to it that will cover the whole radiator and attach the fan to that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
If you really want it to move air, make a plate mount that has some taper to it that will cover the whole radiator and attach the fan to that.
Oh that's really smart! I might look into that. Just for time sake I might keep it the way it is now, and over the winter strengthen the mount like Murray said, and maybe implement the tapered plate idea.
Have you had good results using the tapered plate?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
That is what the shroud on any mechanical fan is for, to help it pull more air at slower rpms.
If you made a similar arrangement for your Efan then it too will pull more air when it is running.
More air means cooler engine.

·
Registered
24,197 Posts
there was a post from a member about rubbing a hole thru his rad core less than 2 weeks ago using a sorry to say better looking mounting system

and no i didnt do it to a bike

but i did have a big block powered chevy truck i used to tow my scarab that i put a tranny cooler on

it had a fan that went on with these neat (i thought ) zip ties that went thru the cooler and the rad to hold everything together

till the hill past orillia on the way into bracebridge on the friday of a long weekend

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
That is what the shroud on any mechanical fan is for, to help it pull more air at slower rpms.
If you made a similar arrangement for your Efan then it too will pull more air when it is running.
More air means cooler engine.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. It has the small shroud on there but the bigger it is the more air it pulls in like you said. The only thing I need to keep in mind is the clearance but I think I might be able to come up with something.
Do you know of anyone who has done something similar and has pictures, just so I can have something to work off of?

there was a post from a member about rubbing a hole thru his rad core less than 2 weeks ago using a sorry to say better looking mounting system

and no i didnt do it to a bike

but i did have a big block powered chevy truck i used to tow my scarab that i put a tranny cooler on

it had a fan that went on with these neat (i thought ) zip ties that went thru the cooler and the rad to hold everything together

till the hill past orillia on the way into bracebridge on the friday of a long weekend
Well I am not ignorant enough that I will ignore the advice of those who know what they're doing, so the next thing I will do is redesign the mount.
So the main idea is to have the fan mounted off the rad core (say 1/4 inch) and the mounts sturdy enough so that it will not move and hit the core right?
And if I can work in OCR's advice then that should work out great.

Looking back I know I am starting to rush as I want to get a few rides in this season since I've barely ridden at all, but the fact of the matter is, it is much cheaper and faster to spend a couple hours fabricating a proper mount than to have to redo another engine cause this one overheated when the coolant starts spraying from a broken core. I will make sure to take my time now and do things more proper, because what good is a bike that looks good but doesn't run :p

But thanks Murray and OCR for the tips and advice! You guys will probably end up stopping me from hurting myself and I really appreciate that a lot! Make sure to let me know about anything else stupid I do lol :)

Reactions: zgoldwingman

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Okay, finally got a chance to work on the bike last night. First thing to do: Make a stronger mount for the e-fan. I ended up liking exploring/carolina's setup and he was very helpful in sending pictures and details of his setup.
So from what I had lying around I made 3 brackets and attached them to the three mounts on the fan and the 3 mounts for the engine cradle. After positioning and bending the brackets to make sure the fan is in the right place I gave them a quick coat of paint and then mounted them up. So much stronger and cleaner looking! Glad I took your guys advice, and thanks again for the tips! :D

OCR: I didn't have the material with me to make the inner shroud right now, but I won't forget your advice. If I see the temps are higher than normal I will make sure to fabricate something to suck in more air.

Anyways some pictures. The mounted e-fan and brackets:

IMG_8629.JPG

Tried to get a picture of the gap between the fan and radiator core. It's about 1/4 all the way around, which hopefully should be enough to get the most amount of suction while making sure the fan doesn't hit or rub the core:

IMG_8634.JPG

And lastly with the rad installed and the guard in place:

IMG_8637.JPG

Next step: wiring up the gauges and dummy lights (assuming this mount is good enough lol)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
is it the picture's angle or you can't mount your exhaust?
I haven't mounted the exhaust yet, but if you look at the picture below you can see how the exhaust mounts through the engine guard.
It must just be the angle of the picture because the exhaust should mount fine (fingers crossed lol)

HondalineBars.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Just a small update from last night. Didn't get much time to work on the bike because I went to check out a bike with a friend. I tried to convince him to buy his neighbors CX500 or GL650, but he wanted a sportier bike lol. Ended up looking at a Kawasaki 500 EX which was in good condition and a decent price. I must say, from working on my bike I had a pretty good idea of what to look for, and I think that's pretty cool: the fact that you can learn so much from these builds.

Anyways, all I got finished doing was limiting my handlebar radius (the controls were hitting the tank since I put the clip-ons on).
This idea is not mine at all, I just saw a thread where the person did this yesterday but couldn't find it again today. If the person who came up with this idea reads this, then thank you for the idea and feel free to give yourself credit :D

Drilled, then tapped holes into the stopper thingies (M5 0.8 threads), grabbed two M5 bolts from work and stuck them in there. The heads are about 1/2 inch thick which gave me just enough space between the controls and tank:

IMG_8640.JPG

EDIT: The user was Greasemonkey247, and the original post can be found here: http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/27672-barn-fresh-corrosion-cx500-cafe-buffed-4.html#post319714. Thanks again for the Idea!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You mentioned you purchased the 2" by 15' exhaust wrap. I was wondering how much you purchased? Did you have any extra?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
You mentioned you purchased the 2" by 15' exhaust wrap. I was wondering how much you purchased? Did you have any extra?
I purchased just one roll from Dime City Cycles. The recommended overlap is about 1/8" (there is a line on the roll showing how much to overlap). I wrapped the first exhaust without cutting the roll just to make sure I had enough to wrap them both evenly, and by having a 1/2" overlap there was not enough material. So I took it off and wrapped it again using the 1/8" overlap all the way and it just barely fit. I used up every last bit of the roll. If you want to wrap anything more than just the headers you will need two rolls, or they sell a 50' roll as well which would give you enough to wrap it twice if you ever needed to. I was cheap so I just bought the cheapest one lol :p
Hope that helps!

81 - 100 of 997 Posts