Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
You hit the nail on the head with that statement lol! Amazon. ca is twice the price for an eighth of the stuff :confused:
What I do now (and I have to give my mom credit for finding this out) is buy stuff from amazon. com and have it shipped to this place just across the border (about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls) called CBI. It's like a warehouse for people who want to ship stuff to the states and then pick it up.

I have bought a set of subwoofers, an amp, watches, motorcycle parts, and a variety of other things and have probably saved over $500 in total. Plus the stuff shipped to the states usually has free shipping so you save lots there too. They charge a small fee (like 5% or something) but that's still so much cheaper than anything else.

Might be something to look into :)
I definitely will... getting tired of looking for stuff and finding it on that Harbor Freight website. I guess it's the US version of Princess Auto, but of course, 3x the size 1/2 the price. :D

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Also picked up some indicator lights yesterday. They have built in resistors that allow them to run directly off of 12 volts, meaning I can tie them directly into where the stock dummy lights go.
Got them from Neutron Electronics here in Guelph Ontario, but any big electronics stores should have them:

IMG_8533.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hi, just read the thread from start to finish. Brilliant!

You got skills, loving the work.
Hey thanks Mr Freeze :)
Still go lots to do, and my budget has run out, but it'll get done someday...hopefully lol

Reactions: Mr_Freeze

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So like Misenhei stated I probably won't be able to mount the temp gauge so low without moving the ignition switch. I might be able to do something like this, but I might also just mount the temp gauge elsewhere on the bike (possibly the rad):

Gauge Layout E.png

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
This is good! I wouldn't want the temp gauge mounted mounted anywhere that wasn't in my direct line of sight.
You make a good point again, I would like to keep it within a glance at all times too. Looks like this shall be the layout then.....assuming my fabrication skills are as good as my art skills lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
I can't help but smile as I follow this thread. At first, I thought this may just be a dream...a very cool one for sure, but I didn't think I'd see a conclusion. I must admit, I was wrong and very much look forward to the final product!

Excellent idea and good job working through it :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I look forward to seeing how this fabrication works out. I would love to have something similar to this one day.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I can't help but smile as I follow this thread. At first, I thought this may just be a dream...a very cool one for sure, but I didn't think I'd see a conclusion. I must admit, I was wrong and very much look forward to the final product!

Excellent idea and good job working through it :)
Thanks so much for the kind words CliffD :D
Yeah it's always been my dream to have a bike, and when I first got this one I thought I would drive it for a bit then sell it to get something a bit nicer, but after seeing some other peoples builds it inspired me to put some effort into making this one look great.
I can't wait to see how it turns out either! (hopefully good lol)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I look forward to seeing how this fabrication works out. I would love to have something similar to this one day.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks Jester, it has been a great (but long) experience so far and I still can't wait for all the stuff I still get to design and build :)
I am sure you'll probably have yours designed and built before I get this thing done lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
So glancing through old photos of the build I noticed I had forgotten to add the photo of my baffle mod. When I first bought the mufflers I thought they seems pretty loud....and very "poppy". Took the baffles out and sure enough a few strands of "tissue paper" was all that was muffling the sound. So bought some fiberglass sheets (4 stroke stuff from Royal Distributing, but could be found at any bike shop), some steel wool and some 1" hair catchers for a sink. Wrapped up the mufflers with a layer of steel wool and then the fiberglass blanket and cemented the hair catchers in place using muffler crack filler. Put them back on and it made a HUGE difference. Much lower sounding and less "poppy" now. Quite pleased with them now.
P.S. The hair catcher was not my idea, Kameron was the first one that I know of to do the mod, so kudos to him

You can see the hair catchers in place below. Seems to building holding well, but if you had a welder you could just tack it in place and it would be much better probably:

IMG_8042.JPG

Also got the tach and speedometer in which I purchased from my birthday money. I got the tach here: Mini Universal Motorcycle Mechanical 12K RPM Tach Tachometer Gauge 1 4 | eBay and the speedometer from Partsnmore.com

IMG_8544.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Totally unrelated to the build (well sort of), but I thought I would share my first welding experience. It's good practice for when I modify the rear of the bike by welding on a hoop or something similar.
First thing I learned....it's a lot harder than it looks.
Second thing I learned.....don't put too big a weld or you'll spend hours grinding them down to make them flush :rolleyes:

Anyways here are some pictures....because why not lol.

This was probably one of my best welds....I don't want to show my worst haha:

IMG_8546.JPG

The one side all welded up:

IMG_8545.JPG

And what exactly is it? A stand I made for a touch screen at work. It's not the prettiest, nor the straightest....but I am so proud of it lol

IMG_8550.JPG

Reactions: CliffD

·
Registered
24,197 Posts
hmm pretty light duty for a touch screen lol

good job

the worst thing about welding is you really have to practice

it is possible to create a perfect looking weld that has absolutely no penetration or hold

that is why they xray welds tio see if there is voids in them

and bend test a butt weld to test for strength

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
hmm pretty light duty for a touch screen lol

good job

the worst thing about welding is you really have to practice

it is possible to create a perfect looking weld that has absolutely no penetration or hold

that is why they xray welds tio see if there is voids in them

and bend test a butt weld to test for strength
Lol yeah I wasn't sure how strong it would be when designing it as I've only ever worked with bolt together stuff, but I am surprised at how strong a weld actually is.

Yeah even when I ground down my "good" welds there was a few tiny pockets so I can definitely understand that there is an art to welding.
I used to work in a material testing place and performed numerous bend tests, and I saw a lot of failures when the weld looked great.
I don't think I'll ever become a professional, but I feel confident enough to weld little pieces for my bike now....maybe

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Alrighty so there has finally been some noticeable progress on the build. I Wish I could work on it more than I do, but family is more important so the build tends to get pushed aside some times haha.
Rather than dump all the pictures on here at once I am going to split it up a bit.

First things first....The heart of the beast. Finally done and ready to put back into the bike. I could've got it done a lot faster probably, but I wanted to take my time and make sure I did everything right. I do not want to have to take this thing out again for a couple years at least lol.

A nice coat of primer:

IMG_8497.JPG

Then a couple coats of the VHT cast iron and a nice layer or two of clear:

IMG_8501.JPG

With all the masking off and the black accent parts attached this is the final engine (still have to paint the covers though). Not too bad if I do say so myself, and I am really happy with how the paint came out:

IMG_8552.JPG

IMG_8556.JPG

IMG_8553.JPG

What's that saying? "out with the old, in with the new".....Well I must say...the "new" is a lot better looking and much more mechanically sound than the "old" (to be fair I took off all the good parts from both engines and now the old one looks even worse lol).
I feel like I have learned a lot of what not to do on the old engine though, so hopefully I can keep this one running great!

Bye bye ol friend. You shall be kept for parts though, either for me or someone else.

IMG_8586.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So another few pictures:

I picked up a set of Hondaline engine guards from eBay for $10. They weren't in the best of shape, but after sanding them up they didn't look bad at all.

IMG_8516.JPG

A shot of primer, then gloss black, then a nice matte clear coat:

IMG_8522.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

Next thing to paint: the rear shock covers. They were badly pitted and rusted, so same process: Sand-prime-paint. It's just temporary until I get my new shocks (cause these things suck), but a lack of funds means I won't be getting those for a while lol.

IMG_8570.JPG

annnnnnnd mounted on the bike (I know, I know...the springs and body are bad)

IMG_8581.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Time to put this silly engine in this frame now.
Rolling out the foot-powered bike felt good. It's been a while since I've seen it.

IMG_8565.JPG

Before I put the engine back in I wanted to touch up the frame. I had painted it matte black before with a brush and it turned out alright but I wanted gloss black with the spray can this time. Someday when funds are limitless (aka never) I would like to get the frame powder coated, but for now this will do.

Masking off the entire bike (not a fun job):

IMG_8571.JPG

NOW it's time to put the engine in. Guiding it in with the jack:

IMG_8574.JPG

And putting the newly painted engine guards on:

IMG_8575.JPG

The bike as it stood when I went in for the night.

IMG_8583.JPG

Next thing to work on is getting the e-fan wired up, as well as mounting the new gauges and indicators.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Very nice! Love the profile...

Reactions: Motomicah
61 - 80 of 997 Posts