Honda CX 500 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
A little bit of electrical work was done over the weekend, but as usual I didn't get to work a whole lot on the bike.
Checked a few systems and was happy with the results. The e-fan turned on via the relay when I bridged the temp sensor (that thing sounds wicked!) and the temp gauge needle moves (have yet to fully test it yet with the engine running).
Wired up all the gauge lights and dummy lights as well:

IMG_8680.JPG

Got all the backlights working too (the speedo and tach bulbs are very tiny and don't give off a lot of light. I may look into getting something a bit brighter; maybe an LED bulb. I can read the numbers in the dark, but at the same time they could be a lot better too):

IMG_8677.JPG

And another picture to show how the screws I bolted in help to stop the controls from hitting the tank (the other side has a bit less clearance):

IMG_8662.JPG

Reactions: CliffD

·
Registered
370 Posts
Once again, very impressive work! I'm anxious to see how this build ends up. You're doing an impressive job my friend!

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Once again, very impressive work! I'm anxious to see how this build ends up. You're doing an impressive job my friend!
Thanks again for the kind words CliffD! I'm anxious to see how it ends up too lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
So......after looking at my triple clamp, handlebars and ignition placement I found that both the tach and speedo fit perfectly into the circular gap left where the old gauges mounted from. It also allowed me to use the holes in the triple clamp to mount the bracket which gave a bit stronger mounting point (plus it hides the ugly area where the old handlebars went and saves me from smoothing out the top triple clamp)
So disregarding most of my previous drawings I made lol, I set about making a REALLY rough cardboard template:

IMG_8697.JPG

Then I made one up and test fitted it making sure it had good clearance and looked alright. Then used the template to make a second one:

IMG_8704.JPG

What the brackets look like mounted up:

IMG_8708.JPG

And the gauges mounted. I still have to paint the brackets black and then mount the temp gauge and dummy lights. Hopefully I can get that done tonight:

IMG_8706.JPG

IMG_8705.JPG

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't mean to become your cheering section, but I had to comment yet again...I like that!

Nice job! The instruments look great and the whole concept matches your build. Well done!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I don't mean to become your cheering section, but I had to comment yet again...I like that!

Nice job! The instruments look great and the whole concept matches your build. Well done!
LOL, no worries I am glad that you are enjoying the build :D It makes it all the better when kind people like you support and enjoy all the effort that goes into making these bikes so amazing :)

Thanks a bunch! I think they turned out pretty good too. Murray was telling me the 90 degree bends might fail from fatigue at some point though, so I have to look into reinforcing those before I mount the temp gauge, especially because I most will most likely be using the mounting points from the gauges to mount the bracket for the temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
digging that instrument panel, super slick looking! :icon_thumright:
Thanks! Lets hope after I mount the temp gauge and dummy lights up there too it still looks as good :p
If not I may figure something else out for the temp gauge because I really like the look of the gauges as they currently lay.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Following this thread for instrument panel ideas of my own -my originally installed LED's proved not to be robust enough for a daily rider.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Following this thread for instrument panel ideas of my own -my originally installed LED's proved not to be robust enough for a daily rider.
I really liked your dash idea! So clean looking and i love how smooth it matches in with the original gauges. What went wrong with the LED's?
I am sure whatever I come up with you will make a thousand times better :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
In an attempt to avoid the tach and speedo falling off from a fatigued 90 degree bend (thanks again for the tip Murray) we have come up with some possible solutions to strengthen the bracket a bit.
Option one is to weld a bent 1/4 rod in the middle of the bracket. This would be best as it strengthens the entire bracket too. Only problem is clearance at the top bend so I have to check and see if it'll fit.
Option two is to fabricate side gussets that strengthen the bends. This might be the option I go with at it is a simple fix and won't interfere with the triple clamp.
Option three is to weld a bead along the inside edge of the bend. Probably not the strongest but it may work.

Gauge Mount.png

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
After looking at the bracket, option 1 would not work because there is not enough room at the top. So option two it is. Got some stuff made last night (after a delicious sushi feast :tongue8:) Hopefully I'll start welding them up during lunch today, or tomorrow if I can't get it done. (Or I may get someone else to weld it up cause I still suck at it lol)

Made all the support gussets for the tach and speedo gauge brackets:

IMG_8717.JPG

And started to make the bracket to hold the dummy lights and temp gauge. Cardboard templates helped a lot in getting the right size and shape:

IMG_8719.JPG

The pieces all cut out and shaped. Grinding down the top part of the bracket (far right) was less than enjoyable <_< :

IMG_8721.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I was going to wait until I was all done the brackets before I posted the results but it's taking a bit longer then I thought so I figured I would share with you guys a quick update.
I got all the brackets welded (welding thin material is awful <_<) and sanded, then mounted them up for a test fit and still found that it was flexing a bit too much for my liking. The thin vertical part needs to be reinforced so I will be welding a thick bead along the inside face to make it a bit stronger.
And of course, the update wouldn't be complete without some pictures:

All welded up and some rough grinding done. As you can see on the left bracket I started to clean up the inside a bit too using a cut-off disk with a dremel:

IMG_8779.JPG

After more grinding and sanding and drilling the holes for the dummy lights:

IMG_8783.JPG

IMG_8784.JPG

I have circled the area that needs reinforcing. I kind of figured it would though as the side gussets had to be ground down a lot to avoid hitting part of the tripled clamp, thusly exposing the thin vertical section:

IMG_8785.JPG

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looking good! I like your brackets a lot. And also the positioning of the instrument lights. Are those the cheap leds from ebay or others for your instrument lights? I have used the cheap ones at first but now I use others.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Looking good! I like your brackets a lot. And also the positioning of the instrument lights. Are those the cheap leds from ebay or others for your instrument lights? I have used the cheap ones at first but now I use others.
Thanks Lacher! The LED's are from a place about a minute away from my work called Neutron Electronics. The screenshot below is from their online magazine and are the type of lights I bought. They were around $4 CAD each I think. I looked on eBay but I couldn't find a style I liked, and so I ran into the store and found these. Any large electronics store should have something similar. I believe they are intended for electrical panels, but they will work great for instrument lights as well. The quality is really good, and the lights are diffused a bit so they don't distract or blind you when they're turned on which is really nice, especially in the night time! They also have built in resistors that let them run off of 12V which meant I could just plug them right into the original wiring.

LED Lights.png

·
Registered
443 Posts
I used those and bought them from the same store - but in Hamilton.
I didn't have much success. They would go on when they should be off and I didn't feel confident with them most days.
I am now designing a new dash with integrated LED's in the tach and speedo.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I used those and bought them from the same store - but in Hamilton.
I didn't have much success. They would go on when they should be off and I didn't feel confident with them most days.
I am now designing a new dash with integrated LED's in the tach and speedo.

Good luck
Aw man really?! That's a bummer. I'll give these a go for now, but I fear I will end up with the same issue as you if it's a common thing. Any ideas which similar kind of lights work well?
I can't wait to see your new dash idea! Keep me posted on how it goes :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Instead of welding a single bead I just decided to weld a whole extra 1/4" of material on to that section. I feel like it could be used to hold the engine up now lol. Very strong all the way through and won't be breaking any time soon (hopefully).
I did a rough grinding and will do the final shaping and cleaning tonight as well as painting and mounting it (hopefully again lol).

IMG_8789.JPG

I have the best supervisor ever btw. He didn't mind me going over on my lunch break to finish the welds, and even said I could spend all day welding if I wanted too lol.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looking good!

Tell your Supervisor that your forum buddies are anxious to see where this goes and that you need more "on bike time" during the work day :)

Reactions: Motomicah
101 - 120 of 997 Posts