Honda CX 500 Forum banner

381 - 400 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Would defo steer clear of the fake C/fibre Mr Micah .... but wraps can look cool!

I had the tank and headlight wrapped on my BMW tracker project – I wanted a cheapfix and a matte finish, and wasn’t confident id get a decent result spraying it.

Yeah I think I will be avoiding it. Flat black will look nice and match the rest of the bike better I think.
That's wrapped?! Wow, looks great! Lots of curves on that tank, I'm impressed how smooth it all is.
Great looking bike too! Those tracker style builds are starting to grow on me lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #382 (Edited)
Finally got back to work on the bike. Feels nice going away, but coming back home to tinker feels good too haha.

First things first, take off the rear tire so I will have room to weld and grind:

IMG_9377.JPG

I also had some new rear brake pads lying around from way before, and even though the ones in there right now worked fine, I figure I would change them out just to be sure:

IMG_9378.JPG

All cleaned up, new pads installed, and ready to put back on the bike:

IMG_9379.JPG

I took this time to paint the rear brake lever and the little brake light switch bracket I made from before. The chrome on the lever wasn't the best and it stuck out too much for my taste, so a little primer first...

IMG_9381.JPG

And some gloss black as usual. Mounted the lever on the rear brake assembly and it looks like new!

IMG_9383.JPG

Then it was time to make the little tabs to hold the tire hugger in place. Simple enough to make:

IMG_9385.JPG

Annnnnnd back to the frame again. Cleared up all the wiring and pushed it toward the front of the bike so I can weld and paint without it interfering:

IMG_9382.JPG

then ground down the tabs on the frame that I didn't need, cleaned up some of the stock welds, degreased the best I could, sanded it all smooth and then wiped it down again:

IMG_9384.JPG

Everything is all ready to weld and paint now (after putting a non-flammable blanket over the rest of the bike first). Unfortunately the Home Depot in Cambridge did not have a welder to rent out, so I found one in Guelph that I will pick up tomorrow. Then it's welding time!!! welding.gif

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks! yeah the wrap came out really well. It was done in 3 sections hence the black stripe to cover the joins. The beemer's defo more practical than my Cafe/brat CX... but the CX wins hands down in the fun stakes!

Keep up the excellent work sir!

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks! yeah the wrap came out really well. It was done in 3 sections hence the black stripe to cover the joins. The beemer's defo more practical than my Cafe/brat CX... but the CX wins hands down in the fun stakes!

May I ask for the source of your exhaust wrap and which width do you suggest for the CX exhaust? Thanks. (Great bike, by the way)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #385

Oh okay, that's smart doing it in sections. Much easier to work with.
and that is why you can never have too many bikes lol....they all handle differently and have their own unique quirks. I'll be happy if I can just get this one bike done haha.

May I ask for the source of your exhaust wrap and which width do you suggest for the CX exhaust? Thanks. (Great bike, by the way)
Not sure if you were asking Ceehexed or myself the question, but I got mine from Dime City Cycles and it has worked well. I bought the black wrap but it has turned more of a gun metal color. The company sells a spray that is supposed to bring back the black look of it.
I purchased the 2' wide x 15' long roll, and it just covered both exhausts, just past the part which would normally connect to the h-box. Not an inch left to spare though, so if you're worried you might not have enough, you can get the 50' roll.

Thanks for the kind words too!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #386 (Edited)
Rented a welder....what a pain that turned out to be <_<
A nice little Lincoln one and it worked great!

IMG_9386.JPG

Did some practice welds, making sure to set the welder up properly.
Then set about to weld the bike. First thing I welded was the cross brace (the welds are slowly getting better I think):

IMG_9387.JPG

Plugged the ends of the tubes:

IMG_9388.JPG

Welded on the support bracket to the rear electrical pan:

IMG_9389.JPG

And finally welded on the rear hoop. Did a bit of grinding and there she was. It is super strong and doesn't budge at all. I can lift the whole bike from just the hoop and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out:

IMG_9390.JPG

IMG_9392.JPG

Some bondo and sanding and it almost looks like it was meant to be:

IMG_9394.JPG

IMG_9395.JPG

Set up a little paint booth (dad wasn't happy last time I painted the frame as there was a nice black line of the floor lol) and it is all ready to paint.

IMG_9396.JPG

Got the primer put on tonight and will let that dry before spraying with black tomorrow.

Not sure when I will be able to update you guys next as I am going away again until Sunday. So until then, have a good one!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Great work MM, backed up with great pictures and explanation of what and how you are doing this. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
Thanks Tallpaul! I'm glad people are enjoying the build as much as I am :D
I like to think of this thread as a story too. Something that I can go back and look at years down the road and remember all the fun times I had getting the bike to where it is.

Reactions: Farmer_John

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks Tallpaul! I'm glad people are enjoying the build as much as I am :D
I like to think of this thread as a story too. Something that I can go back and look at years down the road and remember all the fun times I had getting the bike to where it is.
Best reason to do it in the first place!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey what brand are the exhaust pipes you put on ?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #393 (Edited)
Hey what brand are the exhaust pipes you put on ?
They are EMGO ones. Many places sell them without stating they're EMGO though.
They're very nice mufflers actually. Except when you first get them the packing that comes with them is almost non-existent. If you want them to function as proper mufflers you will need to remove the baffles (a little bolt on the side holds them in) and repack it.
Optionally you can also weld or affix a hair catcher (the kind used in sinks. I think it was the 1' diameter size) to the end of the baffle to break up the sound even more.
They sound quite good actually. Not as poppy sounding as the stock ones, and a nice roar when throttle is given.

Chrome 16" Red Tip Shorty Slashcut Muffler

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Steel as muffler sound deadening is questionable it theoretically could be ingested.

But you pays your money and takes your chances.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #395 (Edited)
I did some reading on it before hand and it sounded like lots of people do it. I didn't know it might be harmful. I will have to go back and re-check my mufflers. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
After putting on two coats of primer (forgot to take a picture) I then put two coats of gloss black. Turned out pretty good I think:

IMG_9397.JPG

IMG_9401.JPG

IMG_9400.JPG

IMG_9402.JPG

Some further away shots:

IMG_9403.JPG

IMG_9404.JPG

Then put the rear back together making sure to tighten everything to spec. It's finally starting to take it's final form:

IMG_9414.JPG

IMG_9415.JPG

IMG_9409.JPG

IMG_9406.JPG

Forgot to mention before, but I also got a "nice" spray gun to fool around with. It will just be used to paint parts of the tanks as I can buy specialty paint a lot cheaper in a pail rather than an aerosol can.

IMG_9427.JPG

And in other sad news......today is the last day before I go back to school :( So expect the build to go a lot slower now and the updates to be less frequent.
I would love to have the build completed before the spring so every chance I get I will be out in the garage tinkering with it.

Only 2 more years and then I will be freeeeeeee......well......free to work for the rest of my life lol. So if anyone is interested in hiring a mechanical engineer in 2016, give me a shout :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice looking loop. That turned out really good! And im in the same boat your in. School starts on Monday for me so im trying to get to a point where the bike rolls under its own weight. Im also on the road to be a mechanical engineer with two years left. Good luck this semester!

·
Registered
252 Posts
It won't rust when you're at school. You've done well.
How and with what did you treat the frame before painting? Did you strip off all of the old paint?

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Nice looking loop. That turned out really good! And im in the same boat your in. School starts on Monday for me so im trying to get to a point where the bike rolls under its own weight. Im also on the road to be a mechanical engineer with two years left. Good luck this semester!
Thanks C&K! I think it turned out pretty good too. It should look a lot better with the signals and brake lights on it.
Your build is coming along great too. I love your seat design and latching mechanism. Also very impressed by your seat making skills. Very creative! :D

Lol, I feel your pain :p Sounds like you and me are at the exact same stage in life....trying to get through the roughest year (at least for me) of our schooling. Differential Equations will be my undoing I think haha.
Thanks and all the best to your in your schooling too! If you can build a bike like that, then you should have no trouble with school lol.

It won't rust when you're at school. You've done well.
How and with what did you treat the frame before painting? Did you strip off all of the old paint?
Yeah I was just noticing some small surface rust on some pieces so I wanted to make sure it didn't get any deeper. You can kind of see in the picture below what I mean:

IMG_9434.JPG

It's all cleaned up and painted now though so we should be safe.

Oh yeah, I should've mentioned that before lol. I cleaned all the grease and whatnot off as best I could using Varsol and de-greaser. Then washed it off with a wet rag. Then sanded down most areas with some 150 grit sandpaper. Followed by another rubdown with the Varsol until the paper towel came back clean. Then a quick wipe with a dry paper towel to make sure it was all dry and clean as best as possible.

Then put a light dusting coat of self etching primer, followed by two medium coats. I didn't strip off all the old paint as most of it was in pretty good condition. I had sprayed part of the rear section in the summer so just a quick sanding over those areas again to get the paint to stick and it was fine.
The areas where I ground off the tabs, and where the new hoop was welded in are the sections that were bare metal, and after putting the primer on you can't tell the difference between the previously painted and non-painted sections.

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
So I haven't really had a chance to do much on the bike for a couple of reasons.
1. School is brutal and takes up all my time....and it's only day 4 <_<
2. I have lots of extra stuff going on after-hours and won't get to the bike this weekend at all
3. It is freezing in the garage and I have no desire to lose my fingers to frostbite lol. Seriously though.....why is Canada so cold shiver2.gif

I had the rest of a can of Bondo lying around and needed to use it up, so I at least got part of the licence plate holder done. Mainly the bottom section and the tubes. Still need to sand it all down, but at least it's on there.
Not sure when I will get a chance to do more on the bike. I would like to paint the licence plate holder soon and then finish up the electrical pans and wiring so I can get started on the seat pan.

It seems like I'm almost done my bike, but at the same time it never ends lol.

381 - 400 of 997 Posts