Honda CX 500 Forum banner

361 - 380 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Check out Steve F post about the hugger on the orange cafe it was very informative

I am going to attempt to use a 360 Honda scrambler steel fender mounted to

the swing arm leaving it long to cover as much tire as possible

on the project cx500 standard.

I go pretty slowly so will get mostly done before I start posting.

I need to buy a new welder but the tool budget is zero dollars right now.

If and when the signature bike sells

If I can work 5 more years maybe they will all be done.

I should list the rest of my wrecks.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Check out Steve F post about the hugger on the orange cafe it was very informative

I am going to attempt to use a 360 Honda scrambler steel fender mounted to

the swing arm leaving it long to cover as much tire as possible

on the project cx500 standard.

I go pretty slowly so will get mostly done before I start posting.

I need to buy a new welder but the tool budget is zero dollars right now.

If and when the signature bike sells

If I can work 5 more years maybe they will all be done.

I should list the rest of my wrecks.
I didn't even notice that he had one on there. Will check that out for sure!
Oh nice, nice. That will work good, and you won't have to fool around with cutting it up either.
Lol I feel your pain, the budget for my bike has long gone out the window haha.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Please link this steve post about hugger....????
I'm have way to getting my engine back together, today will be the day.....then I'll be in full steam mode.....it's taken way way way too long to get all the internal parts to make this 99.9% new again. Leaving little doubt that there will be any mechanical issues after it's finished in the engine deptment. I do not do standing on the side of the road well.....lol.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
I do not have acces to a computer right now, but I'll try and find the link when I get home.
Sounds awesome!Can't wait to see how it goes for you. It will be well worth the time with a lot of peace of mind. I have been stranded on the side of the road and let me tell you....it sucks....especially if you have to push your bike home lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #365

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Depends on what you call expensive. But if you want it cheaper, just use the fiberglass and paint it.
True true. For what I need I can just use the stock one and cut it up for free. If I had the money I would try and make a carbon fiber version as that looks and feels a lot better. I haven't messed around with either fiberglass or carbon fiber so I am sure there would be a bit of a learning curve.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Good point Randall, I should've mentioned that. Like he said it is a part that not many people would notice, but with the exposed carbon fiber it does indeed look pretty slick!

·
Registered
853 Posts
You could simply cover the stock one in carbon fibre and not make it from scratch.....?

·
Registered
853 Posts
You can also get a carbon fibre decal or sheet and simply stick it on top the stocker...?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #372 (Edited)
If I had the extra cash that is what i would do for sure. Since I have the correct shape now using the stock one, I can always cover that at a later date to give it that look.

I actually have a roll of carbon fiber looking vinyl in my closet lol. I bought it not knowing what to use it for but that is actually not a bad idea. I might just use that .... except I feel like another part would have to have the carbon fiber wrap on it too to make it all come together no?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
I thought of that but I am worried that it would look too fake out in the light like that. The tire hugger is more hidden so it's fine to have the wrap there. I thought about doing the rear fender too but again, I am not sure how that will look. I will try and get some mock ups done and see what she looks like though!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Warning: opinions

Please don't do it MM!
One of the most basic guidelines of good design is "let the material speak honestly". Forcing a material to imitate another material has led to some of the worst things ever! I'm talking about linoleum that tries to look like tiles or wood, fake woodgrain on the sides of station wagons, those spandex pants that look like painted-on denim jeans, most of the furniture at IKEA trying to look like anything but particle board, fake vents on the fenders of cars, Donald Trump trying to look like he has a full head of hair, the list is long and horrible. Trust me, in a very few years the carbon-fiber wraps and vinyls will be the vinyl-roofed pimpmobiles of our time. Real carbon fiber is on the verge of becoming much cheaper and more available, and may even become as easy to home-build as fiberglass. BMW is working on this right now.

I'd love to see you fabricate real carbon fiber parts in the future!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
I know exactly what you mean, and I agree with you. That's the main reason why I didn't think of doing it first off. I have tried to wrap a few parts on the bike already (gauges being one) and it just looks....wrong. I figured with the rear hugger being tucked away it wouldn't be so bad, but even with the knowledge that it is fake just kind of puts me off doing it. I have done my best to make everything on this bike as real and detailed as possible, and if I can avoid the fake look then I will. We all know of "ricers" and I don't want my bike to be one of those haha.

I would love to try and make the hugger in carbon fiber at some point, but for now I need to spend the money elsewhere on the bike, like some good quality paint for the tank and a new seat.
I think if I just paint the hugger a nice flat black to match the front and rear fenders than it will blend in nicely.

I love the list of fake things you gave btw LOL :p

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The industry i worked in has been using "wrap" for going on 30 years.

a wrap is a coating paint is a coating good quality embossed 3d carbon wrap done properly

is nearly undetectable and durable nearly chip proof.

Paint is chip resistant .....wrap the an 1/2 an area that is prone to rock chips paint the other half

see what half looks better 2 yrs later>

Look at chip prone and high wear areas on trucks an heavy duty vehicles on the good ones there will be a clear wrap....Why?

To keep it looking better.... longer.

Cheap wrap shrinks like the wood on a Plymouth Volare Station Wagon. 1970's tech.

You might compare a WWII plane canopy to a modern fighter Jet canopy..

the things in common ...Clear and keep air from getting in.

See Modern Marvels.. Coatings....Welding and Adhesives

·
Registered
817 Posts
Warning: opinions

Please don't do it MM!
One of the most basic guidelines of good design is "let the material speak honestly". Forcing a material to imitate another material has led to some of the worst things ever! I'm talking about linoleum that tries to look like tiles or wood, fake woodgrain on the sides of station wagons, those spandex pants that look like painted-on denim jeans, most of the furniture at IKEA trying to look like anything but particle board, fake vents on the fenders of cars, Donald Trump trying to look like he has a full head of hair, the list is long and horrible. Trust me, in a very few years the carbon-fiber wraps and vinyls will be the vinyl-roofed pimpmobiles of our time. Real carbon fiber is on the verge of becoming much cheaper and more available, and may even become as easy to home-build as fiberglass. BMW is working on this right now.

I'd love to see you fabricate real carbon fiber parts in the future!
Hilarious, but so true. Thanks, I've been laughing out loud while reading this post to my wife!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
The industry i worked in has been using "wrap" for going on 30 years.

a wrap is a coating paint is a coating good quality embossed 3d carbon wrap done properly

is nearly undetectable and durable nearly chip proof.

Paint is chip resistant .....wrap the an 1/2 an area that is prone to rock chips paint the other half

see what half looks better 2 yrs later>

Look at chip prone and high wear areas on trucks an heavy duty vehicles on the good ones there will be a clear wrap....Why?

To keep it looking better.... longer.

Cheap wrap shrinks like the wood on a Plymouth Volare Station Wagon. 1970's tech.

You might compare a WWII plane canopy to a modern fighter Jet canopy..

the things in common ...Clear and keep air from getting in.

See Modern Marvels.. Coatings....Welding and Adhesives
Yeah I agree with you, the wraps are really cool in that they look good but also offer a lot of protection. I was watching a video recently where instead of painting a car, they wrapped it for a lot cheaper and it looked great at the end! It's like a colored screen protector for your vehicle.
The wrap I have is embossed but it still looks too fake. A clear coat over that may help, but I think I'll just stick with the flat paint for now to match the rest of the bike. On the underside of the hugger, even though it is just plastic, I will coat it with the wheel well paint to make sure it is nice and resistant to all the debris hitting it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would defo steer clear of the fake C/fibre Mr Micah .... but wraps can look cool!

I had the tank and headlight wrapped on my BMW tracker project – I wanted a cheapfix and a matte finish, and wasn’t confident id get a decent result spraying it.

361 - 380 of 997 Posts