Honda CX 500 Forum banner

401 - 420 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for the paint explanation. My knowledge and experience in spraying is small.

Priorities... I didn't do my best at school because I hated it. I work from the age of 16, have a lot of experience with different technical jobs. It's still growing and I'm having a ton a fun, but I don't make a lot of money to buy more expensive bike parts (motogadget for instance). So just kick that school year's ass and make your life a bit easier and fun afterwards!

And projects are never done

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
418 Posts
Rock on motomicah read the whole thing very well documented :cool:. I can feel you man you have put blood sweat tears and money into '' your bike'' every one else can build their own. very nice work young man ! ride safe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks C&K! I think it turned out pretty good too. It should look a lot better with the signals and brake lights on it.
Your build is coming along great too. I love your seat design and latching mechanism. Also very impressed by your seat making skills. Very creative! :D

Lol, I feel your pain :p Sounds like you and me are at the exact same stage in life....trying to get through the roughest year (at least for me) of our schooling. Differential Equations will be my undoing I think haha.
Thanks and all the best to your in your schooling too! If you can build a bike like that, then you should have no trouble with school lol.
Yeah I agree. I cant wait to see how it looks with all of the lights working and the seat on it. Its going to look awesome!

I agree school is continually getting harder but its finally getting to the good stuff that I enjoy learning and working on instead of all that gen ed crap. I took Differential Equations last semester and somehow I made it through that class. I think the hardest part for me was that I hadn't taken calculus for a couple years and had to go back and study all of the little things I had forgotten. anyway good luck and I hope you got good teachers this semester!

And thanks! Im happy with how the seat turned out now its on to figuring out the shock mounts.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Thanks for the paint explanation. My knowledge and experience in spraying is small.

Priorities... I didn't do my best at school because I hated it. I work from the age of 16, have a lot of experience with different technical jobs. It's still growing and I'm having a ton a fun, but I don't make a lot of money to buy more expensive bike parts (motogadget for instance). So just kick that school year's ass and make your life a bit easier and fun afterwards!

And projects are never done
No problem, glad I could help :) I will keep you posted on how well it holds up.

Yeah I can understand why you just worked instead, I've debated that many times myself. The biggest reason why I want to get the degree is so I have something to fall back on if a job doesn't end so well.
That being said, work experience is just as, if not more important than schooling, so I am sure that you are up there with the best of them :)

Thanks so much for the kind words Volaussie, I will try and do my best! I just can't wait till it's all over and done though haha.

True lol :p

Rock on motomicah read the whole thing very well documented :cool:. I can feel you man you have put blood sweat tears and money into '' your bike'' every one else can build their own. very nice work young man ! ride safe
Thanks to you too Joe, I'm glad you're enjoying it :) Yeah it has definitely been a long journey and it isn't quite over yet, but hopefully someday it will be lol.
All the best!

Yeah I agree. I cant wait to see how it looks with all of the lights working and the seat on it. Its going to look awesome!

I agree school is continually getting harder but its finally getting to the good stuff that I enjoy learning and working on instead of all that gen ed crap. I took Differential Equations last semester and somehow I made it through that class. I think the hardest part for me was that I hadn't taken calculus for a couple years and had to go back and study all of the little things I had forgotten. anyway good luck and I hope you got good teachers this semester!

And thanks! Im happy with how the seat turned out now its on to figuring out the shock mounts.
Yeah me too :) As long as everything comes together as nicely as it is planned out then there shouldn't be too many issues hopefully.

Oh nice, that helps out a lot if it's stuff you enjoy doing! Cool, so if I have any questions about the class then you can help me LOL :p It's similar with me, I haven't taken Calc for a while and need to do some review too...which is what I should be doing now instead of talking on the forum haha.
What is your favorite class so far? What are you planning on doing after you graduate?
Thanks, most of my teachers are pretty good, I've had some of them before and they seem to know what they're doing. That's the worst when you get a teacher who doesn't teach and then you have to redo every lesson yourself.

Awesome, I am sure you will come up with something great. Can't wait to see it all done!

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah me too :) As long as everything comes together as nicely as it is planned out then there shouldn't be too many issues hopefully.

Oh nice, that helps out a lot if it's stuff you enjoy doing! Cool, so if I have any questions about the class then you can help me LOL :p It's similar with me, I haven't taken Calc for a while and need to do some review too...which is what I should be doing now instead of talking on the forum haha.
What is your favorite class so far? What are you planning on doing after you graduate?
Thanks, most of my teachers are pretty good, I've had some of them before and they seem to know what they're doing. That's the worst when you get a teacher who doesn't teach and then you have to redo every lesson yourself.

Awesome, I am sure you will come up with something great. Can't wait to see it all done!
Ha I know exactly what you mean! during the school year I constantly have this nagging feeling that I should be doing something for school and not whatever I am doing. Yeah I can help... that's if I remember how to do it myself lol. I think Physics and statics have been my favorite classes so far I liked how they were more applied than they were theoretical. I have only had a couple teachers that were terrible and that was because they either didn't teach the material or I couldn't understand a word they were saying, that's the worst because you cant even go get help after class. As for what I plan on doing after college I have no idea. I would love to end up in the automotive industry but I really my plans only go as far as graduating with a degree lol. What about you?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Ha I know exactly what you mean! during the school year I constantly have this nagging feeling that I should be doing something for school and not whatever I am doing. Yeah I can help... that's if I remember how to do it myself lol. I think Physics and statics have been my favorite classes so far I liked how they were more applied than they were theoretical. I have only had a couple teachers that were terrible and that was because they either didn't teach the material or I couldn't understand a word they were saying, that's the worst because you cant even go get help after class. As for what I plan on doing after college I have no idea. I would love to end up in the automotive industry but I really my plans only go as far as graduating with a degree lol. What about you?
Lol yep, sounds like my daily life haha.
Oh yeah, I know what you mean, I'm the same way. That's why I don't like calc or DE much as it's strictly theoretical math and I find it hard to relate it to anything.
Yeah I've had a similar experience with my last year Linear Algebra teacher. He literally had no clue what he was doing and actually ended up getting fired from teaching our program anymore because so many people complained lol.
Oh yeah that's a good industry to get into. Always a job there. I'd like to get into R&D maybe, or even the prosthetic industry. I figure it would be cool to help out others with their lives.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lol yep, sounds like my daily life haha.
Oh yeah, I know what you mean, I'm the same way. That's why I don't like calc or DE much as it's strictly theoretical math and I find it hard to relate it to anything.
Yeah I've had a similar experience with my last year Linear Algebra teacher. He literally had no clue what he was doing and actually ended up getting fired from teaching our program anymore because so many people complained lol.
Oh yeah that's a good industry to get into. Always a job there. I'd like to get into R&D maybe, or even the prosthetic industry. I figure it would be cool to help out others with their lives.
Its good to hear that they actually replace bad teachers there. I find myself wondering how are they still letting this teacher teach this course! But from what I can tell this year I got lucky and have all good teachers.

Prosthetics was a field that I really wanted to get into also... until I had a couple courses in biology and anatomy. My mom is actually a double amputee, one AK and one BK, and I wanted to help others the way that she was helped to recovery after her accident. It would be a very rewarding field to go into I've seen first hand how grateful people are when they can walk again.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Personally speaking after having gone your planned route, schooling that is...I find it far more rewarding building or creating something than sitting behind a desk drawing a huge sallery. As you have said above, seeing the results from whatever it is you end up doing is far more rewarding than the $$$ it gives you. You both have excellent reasoning for your targeted fields.....try and do your best to keep this dream alive. That is compared to the monetary rewards.
Personally I can't do the desk thing.....nothing worse than being capable of creating and have someone else create it for you......be the one who has his hands on the final product and not the guy who draws it.....I'm sure you realize this already.
It also keeps you active and constantly interested in building, even if it is just a CX......lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Its good to hear that they actually replace bad teachers there. I find myself wondering how are they still letting this teacher teach this course! But from what I can tell this year I got lucky and have all good teachers.

Prosthetics was a field that I really wanted to get into also... until I had a couple courses in biology and anatomy. My mom is actually a double amputee, one AK and one BK, and I wanted to help others the way that she was helped to recovery after her accident. It would be a very rewarding field to go into I've seen first hand how grateful people are when they can walk again.
Yeah we were all jumping up and down with joy lol. Only problem is, since he hardly taught anything I am not in good standing for the robotics course this semester which deals a lot with matrices. Lol maybe if enough of you get together and tell the program coordinator or dean they might get rid of him. It's a tricky slope though as you don't want to make anyone higher up mad. That's good that you have good teachers this year. Hopefully that helps make things easier.

Oh really? That's interesting haha. I haven't taken any biology or anatomy though yet, so I may change my tune depending on what is required to get into that industry. Oh, wow, I'm sorry to hear that. All the best to you guys and her especially for staying strong! But I know what you mean about the satisfaction of helping someone and seeing their face light up with excitement and happiness. Even just thinking about it makes me happy lol. If I don't go into prosthetics, I'd still like to go into something that will give me that satisfaction. To me, that's reward enough.

Personally speaking after having gone your planned route, schooling that is...I find it far more rewarding building or creating something than sitting behind a desk drawing a huge sallery. As you have said above, seeing the results from whatever it is you end up doing is far more rewarding than the $$$ it gives you. You both have excellent reasoning for your targeted fields.....try and do your best to keep this dream alive. That is compared to the monetary rewards.
Personally I can't do the desk thing.....nothing worse than being capable of creating and have someone else create it for you......be the one who has his hands on the final product and not the guy who draws it.....I'm sure you realize this already.
It also keeps you active and constantly interested in building, even if it is just a CX......lol
I 100% agree with you Jonathan. I would lose my mind sitting at a desk all day too. Although I love doing the design work, especially 3D modelling, I need to do some hands-on stuff too. Example: that stand I made a while back for work; I designed it and fabricated it and it felt SO satisfying seeing the final thing completed. That's another reason why I am having so much fun building this bike; it's design work, it's fabrication, and with the thread, it's some technical/creative writing.
The money from a good paying job would be nice to put towards other projects, but I'd rather have a job that I don't dread going to every single day haha.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Okay, some updates on the bike now.
I still don't have a lot of time to work on anything big at the moment, but I got some of the smaller things out of the way. Namely, putting bondo on the rear license plate holder and tire hugger and getting them ready for paint.

So for the tire hugger I have the final shape pretty much done, just have to sand a bit more and then make the back sections for the cutouts and then paint it all up:

IMG_9436.JPG

And the license plate holder. Lots of sanding to get the right shape on the fender and the bottom bracket, and to get the tubes as round as possible. It turned out pretty good though with a few more areas to sand around the fender section still.

IMG_9438.JPG

IMG_9440.JPG

IMG_9441.JPG

I know they're all ugly right now with pink bondo, black plastic and silver metal all showing, but after a nice coat of paint (flat black for the top of the fender, plastic/rubber coating for the bottom of the fender, and gloss black for the tubing and bottom bracket) they should both look pretty sleek I think/hope.
I will try and get some of the painting on the plate holder done tomorrow if I have time.

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
853 Posts
Spend more time getting all surfaces perfectly smooth, all around the tubes and weld etc......after the paint stage you will see every imperfection and you will regret not spending the time etc.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Spend more time getting all surfaces perfectly smooth, all around the tubes and weld etc......after the paint stage you will see every imperfection and you will regret not spending the time etc.
Oh yeah, for sure. I was just getting the shape with some 80 grit sandpaper and then a rough go with 180 grit. I will still do lots of final sanding to get the a smooth finish don't worry. I've learned the hard way to spend the time setting things up nicely before paint.

Reactions: Willys

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
Didn't get a chance to paint the entire fender, but I got the underside coated with the wheel well paint. I know it isn't pretty, but it will be hidden all the time anyways.
Hopefully I will get the rest painted tomorrow.

IMG_9468.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #416

·
Registered
120 Posts
There's a lot of riders, that put lot of time, and effort into the builds, only to make the bikes look uglier. This clearly is the case here. I know we all have to learn fabricating at some point if customising the bikes is our way of life, but it can not stop one from expressing the opinion about not so perfect part.
We are not here to lick each others private parts. I just think, that this part in mention is below par.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Like I said before, everyone has their own opinions, ideas, etc.... and that's the way it should be. I'm not asking everyone to love everything I build, and I appreciate all the feedback I get.
That being said, I haven't even finished the part or seen what it looks like on the final bike as there are a lots of things that can still change. Just because I am spending lots of time building something doesn't mean it HAS to be on the bike.
If when everything is said and done I don't like how it looks then I will simply remove it and come up with something else. Simple as that. It will just have been a good learning experience which will help me in the long run.
I know what I want my bike to look like in the end, and if it doesn't meet up with everyone's opinion of "a good looking bike" then so be it. I'd rather have a bike that looks different than a "custom" bike that looks like everyone else's.

401 - 420 of 997 Posts