Honda CX 500 Forum banner
461 - 480 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

I bought my 400 cx about 6 months ago. It had been abandoned in a garage for many years. After a lots of work I turned it into a scrambler style, maybe not your cup of tea..but I love it?

Anyways, after having many problems with my carbs, I decided to get in touch with Murray...the temptation was too great...Two days later he had sent out a pair of carbs to France?

As soon as I got them, I installed them straight away, it literally took 30min, everything fitted perfectly? At first the bike would big down a bit from low revs, but with the endless help of Murray, and me being a great pain in the...., we came to the conclusion that my exhausts were too restrictive as I had made an internal baffle to quiten them down a bit.

So I got my self some nice new mufflers, the wife nearly asked for a divorce at this point, but regardless of that, the bike goes perfectly now. I can't get over the difference, it goes like a train, no more flat spots, no more hard cold starting...its a completely different bike?? Thanks again Murray for all your help?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I left a comment in the "general discussion" section, but it was suggested that I place it here, since this is the thread most folks find when they start "Googling" about these carbs.

I bought an '81 GL recently from a guy who'd been doing some Cafe mods to it. He'd gotten rid of the airbox and installed pods. He hadn't re-jetted, AND his pods were unmodified, so the seal was blocking those ports in the stock carbs. The bike ran, but it stumbled terribly in the mid-range. I wasn't looking forward to sorting out the carbs, so I just bit the bullet and ordered the Mikuni carb kit and some mid-pipes from Murray's. Fantastic product, and terrific customer service! I'd PM'd him earlier today to see if he'd share his phone number in case I ran into trouble. He called me later and talked me through the routing of the throttle cables in the GL (different than CX). These carb kits are basically "plug & play". I didn't have to do anything other than install them correctly, engage the enrichener plungers, and touch the start button. She started in half a second and ran great right off the bat. Soon she idled down and I disengaged the enricheners and took her out for a spin. Smooth power throughout the entire band now--and that's with the H-box still attached. I'm eager to see how she runs after I've removed that and installed the mid-pipes.

I didn't initially like dumping that much cash into this bike right off the bat, but I now know that it was money very well-spent.

Again, great product, and I'd recommend it to anyone

Update: My mid-pipes haven't arrived yet--Post Office's fault. So this bike is still wearing its H-box. But I needed to move the bike, and it was almost out of gas, so I had to drive it on the highway some. I have to say, these carbs are worth it even if all they do is make starting easier. Seriously, every Honda horizontal V-twin I've ever messed with has been cold-natured. It took me several minutes yesterday with the stock carbs just to get it started so I could move it up the hill and into the garage for the Murray's Carb kit swap. It got cold here last night for April (about 30 degrees F), so it was still pretty cold in the shed today when I went to start this bike and take it down the highway. I'm now an even bigger fan of the Mikuni fuel enrichener system as opposed to the stock carbs' choke for cold starting. Once the enrichener tabs were engaged, all I had to do was touch the start button and she fired right up.

On the road, this GL500 seems to have about the same amount of torque and power as the stock CX650C I used to own. But I do need to get that H-box off it before I ride it very much. It is running rich with the H-box still on. This can't be good for the plugs over time. And while it has good power right now at the low and mid RPM range, I can tell that it is getting robbed of its potential at the over 7,000 RPM range.

Once I source some Harley mufflers and get that H-box out of there, I'll post another update.

·
Registered
140 Posts
These carbs are fantastic!!
Initially I had a bit of trouble, a quick call to Murray and he sorted it out quick. I had messed up the routing on the cables.
Easy to install and soooo much fun. You can really feel the 'more smiles per hour' in the turns.
One reason I got them is because I'm new to motorcycle mechanics and I didn't want to have to worry about the carbs at all. Also, I melted a hole in the piston of my first CX500 engine because the carbs were running too lean. These carbs are a great investment for peace-of-mind and a great improvement to performance.

Anywho, just my two cents. I'll post pics when my bike is a little prettier.

-Justin

edit: oh yeah. Murray helped me to sort the carbs out after I fiddled with the Idle screws.
Learn from my mistakes: DON'T FIDDLE WITH THE CARBS. They are perfect as is.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Just back from my first proper ride on the thingy with the Murrays carbs fitted after sorting out a few unrelated teething problems.

To put it bluntly, I'm shocked at how quick the thingy is.

I have a short street leading up to my house {I'm at the head of a T junction} where I turn into the street and give the bike a fistful in second.

My current rider hits 70 kmh before I have to get onto the brakes and this is good for a CX. Others I have ridden generally hit about 60 kmh.

The thingy hit 85. Sure, it is lighter than stock, also runs a raesan and is ported but I think the pure grunt is mostly down to the mikunis by Murray.

Highly recommended.

..... Highly. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello folks!
Could someone please take a pic of setup with airbox+covers left on the motorcycle?
I am so tempted to get the curbs yet concerned about the appearance. I want to preserve the original look as much as I can.
I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My thingy has sidecovers with Murrays Mikunis, but with the supplied pod filters.
i do know of a few that have cut the original air box up to allow the pods to recess into the air box
in order to retain the battery mount and side cover tabs
Appreciate your feedback gentlemen! Your setups look super neat!

I would imagine the air box should be cut through and through on one side to accommodate the pods and keep the battery intact.

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,361 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,070 Posts

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,361 Posts
461 - 480 of 486 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.