24,457 Posts
charles

cutterscustomcycles.com/

6815 Knightdale Blvd, Knightdale, NC 27545

cutterscustomcycles.com

(919) 217-7688

can dyno your bike and give you a chart

make sure the do a fuel curve each side

whne he changes the sniffer from one side to the other (unless he has 2) have him switch the coil pickup from one to the other

the dyno will show if there is a spark breakdown fro side to side that way

one pull each exhaust pipe so we can see the diff

that and the rwhp should tell the tale for once and for all

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
That 185 was with the restrictive exhaust I had on it. Exhaust is opened up now. I'll give the knightdale place a call one weekend when I have some free time and the weather isn't frigid.

Charles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just got through installing Murray's carbs on my 81 CX500 C which are the easiest installs I've ever done had a little trouble with the throttle tube and the cables Murray talk me through that I can't believe the acceleration the power so smooth I believe it vibrates less I can see out of my mirrors now it's amazing how much acceleration I have it's almost scary at times never thought you'd be possible to pop a wheelie on a CX I try not to do it but the bike is so much fun now I can't believe it I would recommend this mod to anybody it's a very simple install and Murray is the most helpful person I've ever had a chance to talk to you on the phone thanks a lot Murray have a good day. bill

Attachments

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
Those chinese pwk carbs are total crap you wont find 2 that run the same

The brass fuel fittings pull right out of the bodies

The PLASTIC idle screws snap as soon as you touch them

The jets they send have no numbers on them so you have to guess

When you ask them for others you get no answer

Other than the leaks from crappy floats i cant say much more

You pay for what you get and on those carbs

Have fun

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally emailed Murray and bought some carbs. Just installed it on my 79 CX500 and was not difficult at all. I just need to adjust the slack on the throttle and add the clutch springs recommended by Murray and I'll be smiling all summer long. Also bought the curved pipes too to go with my emgo shorties. Easy to install and Murray is a great help. Thanks again! Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Fuel line Vehicle

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xmjrWuUQBctobwP68

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm almost to the "Ask for forgiveness, not permission" point with these carbs. Pretty sure my SO would have me sleeping in the shop with my GL though :vs_party2: Maybe part of this winters tweaking....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just ordered the new Carbs from Murrays. I'm new to the CX500 club and excited to be a new member of the community! I don't even have the carbs yet and murrayf has already been very helpful! Thats service!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was so happy with my carbs from Murray for my my 81 CX500 I bought a set for my 74 SOHC CB750. I love old bikes but dealing with 40 years old carbs suck; carb joke. It was great to see that Murrays sells his carbs for other bikes. Super easy to install and started quick. You really have to hold on when you accelerate. Like my cx you can feel the front end lift up when accelerating. Great job Murray!

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior

Auto part Engine Vehicle Suspension part Suspension

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Murray's on a 650

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

I've had Murray's on my bike for some time now and am only getting around to posting. I'm definitely a fan, everything they say is true. You know you want them.

I get around 38mpg on my bike now, but the root cause for that has been established earlier in this thread I believe.

My question is, not having ridden a 500 with Murrays on it - will I ever be happy with anything but a 650 now? It's a real question as I look into future builds. Riding a Keihin-powered 500 now is pretty disappointing.

Thanks to all the forum contributors out there, you guys do awesome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm trying to convince a friend of getting some carbs for his CX, he's happy with the Keihin, but he wants more reliability. As I'm quite lazy to read the 46 pages tbh , can someone resume the advantages?

Also, are they compatible with the stocks covers or does the airbox have to be empthy or dissasembled?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm trying to convince a friend of getting some carbs for his CX, he's happy with the Keihin, but he wants more reliability. As I'm quite lazy to read the 46 pages tbh , can someone resume the advantages?

Also, are they compatible with the stocks covers or does the airbox have to be empthy or dissasembled?
The Mikuni cards are much easier to maintain and adjust. It takes me less than 30 minutes to do so. I had to remove the airbox for installation and this does take some time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why would you recommend a product you dont know about

And dont want to do any research about ??

Btw the side covers can be retained
Why? Because I have similar mikunis in my cb and they are spot on and if there are 46 pages (which I read half) of people talking about this carbs, maybe it's an interesting topic

So far, the resume i thought is that improves the acceleration and gets some hp, also easy start. Am I right?

About the side covers, does the battery remain in the same spot or has to be moved?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
There are ways other than reading all 46 pages of this thread to find out about these carbs, I'm pretty sure you could just call Murray. Just a thought.

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
battery is relocated usually if side covers are used its relocated 90 degress and set on the air box support play

horse power torque and starting are improved as is ease of maintenance and they are all new including new intake manifolds

441 - 460 of 486 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.