Honda CX 500 Forum banner

481 - 500 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those turn signals turned out amazing! I sure am glad to be an okie after seeing that frost on your bike! last weekend was a high of 79! Hopefully it heats up quickly up there.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Very nice indeed!!!!
Thanks Jonathan!

That's awesome! Very nice work
Thanks to you too Cxracer, I'm glad you like it!

Those turn signals turned out amazing! I sure am glad to be an okie after seeing that frost on your bike! last weekend was a high of 79! Hopefully it heats up quickly up there.
Yeah I am very pleased with them too. Again, a lot of work for such a tiny detail, but it definitely sets my bike apart from others now.
LOL, you're lucky I wish it was like that up here haha. Enjoy it though, and continue to keep up the great work on your build. Thanks again for the kind words!

Your Cafe Racer has turned out great!!!!
Thanks Bill! It's in the home stretch now.....I think lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
So awesome! I may play off of some of your ideas. I've been slightly stumped on a clean tail light solution. The flex tail light may be my answer. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
So awesome! I may play off of some of your ideas. I've been slightly stumped on a clean tail light solution. The flex tail light may be my answer. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! and no worries, half of my bike is based off of others ideas lol. Glad I can be of some inspiration for you :)
Yeah the light looked perfect for my bike due to the size, flexibility and wire routing. Although the only thing I am worried about is the brightness of it. Depending on how bright it is I may or may not put two of them just because I really want to be seen when braking. Or I might still incorporate the LED strips as a secondary light that comes on when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
I've had my pods lying around since Christmas (They are the tapered oval type purchased from PartsnMore.com) and I knew that they needed the atmospheric port mod done but I just never got around to it.
Well today I was out and picked up some 3M heavy duty mounting tape to stick the rubber to the pods. However I didn't feel like it was that secure and I could still easily pull the rubber off the metal.
So I grabbed some sandpaper, roughed up the edges of the chrome where the rubber would attach to, and then put some Gorilla Glue super glue on there. Much more secure now and I am not afraid of them coming off at all! I might still dremel out part of the metal on the inside lip when I get a chance just to give the maximum amount of air flow.

Here they are all ready to mount up:

IMG_9633.JPG

·
Registered
853 Posts
I dremeled out my pods as well, then siliconed the whole thing bck together, completely solid now.....time will tell if they work well enough but for the few minutes it took to dremel the material way and glue them solid well worth it. imho

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Oh yeah silicon would've worked well too. Very true, I will be dremeling them out for sure now!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've seen enough of those cold temperatures, I feel sorry for all the people back east having to deal with the COLD SNAP!! On Saltspring yesterday was 12*
Your build is coming along really well. I love the sequential signals. Reminds me of the '67 cougars! Ooops! did I just date myself?

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
I've seen enough of those cold temperatures, I feel sorry for all the people back east having to deal with the COLD SNAP!! On Saltspring yesterday was 12*
Your build is coming along really well. I love the sequential signals. Reminds me of the '67 cougars! Ooops! did I just date myself?
I'm originally from Saskatchewan, and I can tell you that I do NOT miss the winters there either lol. I'd be happy with anything above 0 at the moment though haha.
Thanks a bunch! LOL, well some of the new mustangs have them too, so we'll just assume you meant to say '12 mustang and then keep your age a secret :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
this is exactly what i had in mind for turn signals..... idea stolen hahaha or is it mwahahaha

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
this is exactly what i had in mind for turn signals..... idea stolen hahaha or is it mwahahaha
Lol, I guess I got the jump on you eh :p
Nah, there are tons of variations that I'm sure you can come up with, and even if you go with something exactly the same don't worry about it, I guarantee you I've copied someone else's design many times hahaha.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Alright let's get some updates going!!

After finally doing the atmospheric port mod to my pods, I wanted to install them and make sure everything fit and looked good.
I also wanted to add the mini pod to the header breather tubes and make sure it would work alright.

Here is the basic setup I made (based off of a previous post elsewhere) and it seems like it should work fine.
The two breather tubes from the headers join into the stock T-fitting and then go down to the stock tube that normally connects to the side of the air box. This is where I attached the new T-fitting with the pod off to the back, and the drain tube going down to the bottom. This tube is plugged to keep the oil and water vapor off of the road and rear tire and will be drained just like the stock system every so often. Notice in the second pic I rotated the T-fitting to allow a better fit of the pod and tubes.

Pod and drain tube:

IMG_9676.JPG

Mounted and connected to the bike:

IMG_9677.JPG

Then it was time to mount the carb pods. No real issues here:

IMG_9679.JPG

IMG_9681.JPG

I was going to start it up, but decided to wait until a bit later because it was getting late. So next time the weather is nice I'll get her running just to clear out the winter cobwebs.

The other thing that I have been meaning to do for a while is stiffen up the front suspension. It has been really soft and dives every time I brake, so I needed to change it up.
Eventually I will purchase a set of progressive springs, but for now I can get away with using the cheaper method.
I made this diagram a while ago for another member on here, but it is the setup I now have. It just involves replacing the short soft spring in the forks with a spacer. I had some 3/4" aluminum stock that I used for the spacers, as well as topped up the forks with 20w oil and it definitely made a big difference! Still need to ride it to feel the difference, but from testing, it feels a lot better now and I don't think I'll have the same diving issues as before.

The basic setup:

Shock preload diagram 2.png

Making the spacers:

IMG_9686.JPG

I also wanted to clean up the shock caps so I sanded all sides to get a nice brushed look. The one on the right is nearly done, and the left one is next in line:

IMG_9684.JPG

And that's about it for today. Just waiting on the brake light and a few other things and then I can finish up the rear lights and get going on the seat pan.

Reactions: Bueller and OCR

·
Registered
24,197 Posts
motomicah make sure the clamps on you pods are all the way forward towards the carb body

the ridge on the carb is very narrow and if the clamp is not at the beginning of the rubber and pushed all the way forward on to the carb

it will let the pod pop off when it gets hot

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Micah,
with the breather vent, you may want to either raise it above the ports on the motor or make sure the drain tube is located out of line of the rear tire............you will get some oil coming out from it slowly
last thing you want is any getting on the rear tire

Just a suggestion as these motors develop some decent crankcase pressure

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
motomicah make sure the clamps on you pods are all the way forward towards the carb body

the ridge on the carb is very narrow and if the clamp is not at the beginning of the rubber and pushed all the way forward on to the carb

it will let the pod pop off when it gets hot
Oh yeah that's right, you had mentioned that before I believe. I will go back and make sure they are as far forward as possible. Thanks for the tip Murray!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
Micah,
with the breather vent, you may want to either raise it above the ports on the motor or make sure the drain tube is located out of line of the rear tire............you will get some oil coming out from it slowly
last thing you want is any getting on the rear tire

Just a suggestion as these motors develop some decent crankcase pressure
Yeah I thought I read that somewhere too. I believe they mentioned they did that in order to keep the oil flowing back into the engine.
With the tube being plugged like I have it, won't that eliminate the issue of the oil spraying on the wheel? I assumed that's what the original plugs in the bottom of the tubes were for. Every so often you take the plugs out so the tube can drain.
If that isn't the case though I will for sure make the change as I don't want any oil making me slide around.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
if you plug the other tube end then it will just come out the filter screen.........ask me how i know?
The other thought is a small bottle strapped to the spine (below the seat), then the tube from the motor feeds the bottle and the bottle has the filter breather on top, that way the oil gets trapped in the bottle

Just ideas

481 - 500 of 997 Posts