Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just additional information ... I came across this thread re: an equus temp gauge and the adapter leaking just a little bit when installed (but fixed with teflon tape) .... so seems like these have worked for other guys with these bikes before...
Oh that's a great thread!! I like his mounting idea too. Looks like it should all work out then so I'm happy about that. Thanks for the link Greycat :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So while I am sitting here at work trying not to die from boredom I was thinking about the radiator shroud/guard thingy and how I never really liked the stock one. Plus mine is kind of falling apart and whatnot.....soooooo on to making a custom one of those too lol.
I just want something simple I can do with hand tools (seeing as I don't have access to a CNC Mill right now) and came up with this design. I was originally going to do just the holes but it looked kind of bare. So I threw in some text and it looks a bit better. Now the question is....what style and position of text do you guys like the best? I am leaning towards #3 but we shall see.....

Radiator Guard.png

·
Registered
24,197 Posts
here is the thing

the stock shroud is designed so it is wider than the rad and scoops air into the rad to help cool it at slow speeds it makes a huge diff

especially on my electric fan bikes like the goldwing or my 650s they dont need to be quite this big but it makes a big diff on hot days

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
here is the thing

the stock shroud is designed so it is wider than the rad and scoops air into the rad to help cool it at slow speeds it makes a huge diff

especially on my electric fan bikes like the goldwing or my 650s they dont need to be quite this big but it makes a big diff on hot days
Ooh that's good to know. I guess I could try and make the new one similar...but now I'm thinking it might just be best to stick with the stock one. I think I ran into heat problems with my previous engine, and that's probably part of the reason it seized on me.
So the idea is to have a "scoop" shape so that air is directed into the rad? That makes sense now that I think about it more. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I put mine at the top, where they won't move (and wear) against the inside of the tube. I don't need PVC dust in my fork oil.

R
Oh yeah that's a lot smarter haha. I am going to do that instead for sure!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hey Murray, do you think something like this would work? If I mounted two fins on either side of the rad guard angling the air towards the rad. It's similar to what you have in the picture and would be easy to do too.

Modified Radiator Guard.png

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
One thing that really sucks about Canada....you can't buy half the things that you can in the states :upset:
Searched everywhere for VHT or duplicolor engine primer.....doesn't exist in Canada.
Searched for certain color of VHT or duplicolor engine paint...doesn't exist in Canada.
Searched for normal prices for a can of spray paint...............doesn't exist in Canada.
So my family is heading to the states today, and I am going to see if they can pick me up a few cans of the stuff I need.

Nearly finished the rad guard thingy, and engine is almost fully cleaned and ready for paint. Just waiting on the temp switch from china for the e-fan and I should be able to start wiring things up.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Actually, I thought the same thing as well to begin with. Looking for VHT - I found it in stock at my local NAPA - whatever they don't have they can get you in a couple of days.

Good luck.

John

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Actually, I thought the same thing as well to begin with. Looking for VHT - I found it in stock at my local NAPA - whatever they don't have they can get you in a couple of days.

Good luck.

John
I checked at Napa and Canadian Tire and the guy said that there was something in the primer that the Canadian government wouldn't allow and he wouldn't be able to order it for me unfortunately. And the other color I figured I can get it cheaper in the states too rather than ordering it up here. It really is a bummer though, this build would be so much cheaper if it was in the states :(

But....I have just learned that the paint is picked up!! Can't wait to put the engine back in the bike :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So......progress........engine is all back together, cleaned up and masked off. Sprayed the primer on last night and gonna do the actual paint tonight then clear coat Saturday or Sunday.

Radiator guard is made and in the process of painting. I tried to make those side skirt things but hated the final look, so back to the drawing board on that part of them. I really want them though, because like Murray said, they will make a difference....and I don't think it wise to not listen to him lol.

In case you were curious why I needed the certain color of paint from the States see the picture below. I was going to use Duplicolor cast iron paint (on the right) but after I painted the clutch cover I was looking at it I noticed it had a gold/yellow tinge to it which I did not like one bit. Tried looking everywhere else for a similar but non-yellow color and the only one I could find was the VHT cast iron (on the left) which you can not buy in Canada. You can see the difference between the Duplicolor and VHT in the picture, and I am much happier with the VHT!

IMG_8460.JPG

And the engine all taped up and ready for a shot of primer (You can see where the PO [not Kameron] tried to "polish" the engine with a wire wheel) :

IMG_8463.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
When I am not working on my bike all I can think about is working on my bike lol. I bought some new gauges a while back and have been pondering how to mount them along with new dummy lights and the water temp gauge.
So after fooling around with some arrangements I came up with a few ideas for the layout. The mounting bracket with most likely be changed slightly seeing as I am at "work" right now and can't remember the shape of the mounting points. The bottom of it will be formed to fit around whatever is on the bike (ie, ignition, choke, etc...)
Anyways I am curious to see what you guys think. I prefer the temp gauge on the lower position but wanted to see what it looked like above too, although I think it stands out a bit too much.

Right now I am leaning towards #2.

Any comments are appreciated! :D

Gauge Layout A.png

Gauge Layout B.png

Gauge Layout C.png

Gauge Layout D.png

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ignition's pretty big; here's what it looks like with the (same?) gauges:
Oh man it is isn't it....Maybe i can move the ignition elsewhere....but yeah, looks like it's gonna be a tight fit to say the least. Thanks for the pics! It's been so long since I looked at the frame of my bike I had forgotten what it looked like lol.

Reactions: Misenhei

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I like #1. To me it looks more tidy. Almost more jet-fighterish.
Good point! I think if I can fit the temp gauge on the bottom I will go with it. That way all the lights are in one group and not scattered about. Should be easy to clean up the wires too now that I think about it.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
512 Posts
One thing that really sucks about Canada....you can't buy half the things that you can in the states :upset:
+1 to that...

Annoys me especially on Amazon. COM has way more than CA has, and even though the USD/CAD are about the same, the COM site is still much cheaper. :mad:

eBay too... it's as if no one in Canada sells on eBay. :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
+1 to that...

Annoys me especially on Amazon. COM has way more than CA has, and even though the USD/CAD are about the same, the COM site is still much cheaper. :mad:

eBay too... it's as if no one in Canada sells on eBay. :D
You hit the nail on the head with that statement lol! Amazon. ca is twice the price for an eighth of the stuff :confused:
What I do now (and I have to give my mom credit for finding this out) is buy stuff from amazon. com and have it shipped to this place just across the border (about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls) called CBI. It's like a warehouse for people who want to ship stuff to the states and then pick it up.

I have bought a set of subwoofers, an amp, watches, motorcycle parts, and a variety of other things and have probably saved over $500 in total. Plus the stuff shipped to the states usually has free shipping so you save lots there too. They charge a small fee (like 5% or something) but that's still so much cheaper than anything else.

Might be something to look into :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So the radiator guard is finished. I still need to do the wind scoops, but am still figuring that part out. Might run the bike for a bit and see what the temps are like without them, but there is a reason why Mr. Honda designed the stock one the way he did so I think I will be making some in the not-too-distant future.
Anyways....pictures of the build and painting:

After making a rough design and bending it to shape, I marked out 1/2 inch spaced lines on the horizontal and 1/4 inch spaced lines on the vertical. Every row of holes was offset 1/4 and this allowed the holes to be drilled closer together and also made it look a bit neater:

IMG_8432.JPG

After drilling 300 pilot holes by hand (1/8 inch drill bit I think) and testing the look of the final hole size:

IMG_8437.JPG

After drilling another 300 holes with the larger 3/8 inch drill bit, and reaming all holes to get rid of burs:

IMG_8439.JPG

Sanded and flattened out as best I could seeing as drilling all the holes warped the piece a bit (didn't even get it close to perfect lol), and then a quick shot of primer:

IMG_8443.JPG

Then a shot of red paint along where the logo is to go. To make the stencil I had some black vinyl lying around, so I printed out the logo on paper, used double sided tape to stick it to the vinyl, then cut the logo out using an x-acto knife:

IMG_8469.JPG

IMG_8495.JPG

And lastly a coat of black. Then removed the logo stencil and gave it all a nice clear coat to hopefully keep the paint from chipping. The logo came out alright, and the black came out a little textured....but whatever, I don't feel like redoing all that work, so it stays the way it is lol:

IMG_8531.JPG
IMG_8526.JPG

Would have been so much easier if I had access to a cnc machine or water jet cutter lol :shame:

Reactions: djenkins
41 - 60 of 997 Posts