Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Micah just a few questions. Nice build Btw. Like the new headlight!
About the clipons.
What kind are they?
Also i noticed the caps for your forks are similar to mine. I wonder if the rest of the forks are as well. When you took em apart to rebuild do you recall if the spring itself was in two sections? Did you have to compress the spring down with the cap in order to re-seal it?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hey Micah just a few questions. Nice build Btw. Like the new headlight!
About the clipons.
What kind are they?
Also i noticed the caps for your forks are similar to mine. I wonder if the rest of the forks are as well. When you took em apart to rebuild do you recall if the spring itself was in two sections? Did you have to compress the spring down with the cap in order to re-seal it?
Thank you very much!
The clip-ons were from eBay, just generic ones i think but they are actually very nice! I chose them because a lot of the other ones had less metal on the part that connects to the fork, or only had one bolt clamping it and I wanted something that was stronger.
Here is the link to the one I bought: 33mm Black Aluminum Clip on Handle Bar s Honda CB350 CB400 CX500 CB450 CMX250 | eBay
The only thing I could complain about them were that they angle down a bit, which gives a bit lower riding posture....that being said i think they look a lot better like that.
Another thing i have yet to fix is that when i turn the wheel all the way to the side, the controls hit the tank. You could rotate the clip-ons so they don't hit, but I didn't like how far they stuck out then. I think i will just limit the steering somehow instead (it's only off by an inch or so)

The forks are stock as far as I can tell. The spring was indeed in two sections with a washer between them. I did have to compress the spring seeing as without the cap on the spring sticks out a couple inches. It's not too hard to get it back on though. I push it on with the palm of my hand and twist it until it catches. Then grab a giant adjustable wrench and crank her down.
One thing i want to do is add a preload spacer in between the two springs as my front end is kind of bouncy and it's a simple fix. Here is the thread if you're interested in doing this too: CX500 GL500 650 Global ? View topic - Fork Preload Spacers.
You can also see he had a great idea to put the cap on without the springs, and mark where the threads met, so that when he put the springs in and pushed the cap down the threads were already lined up.

Hope that helps! :D

EDIT: These are the clip-ons that I didn't want to buy. They just look a bit sketchy is all: CNC Motorcycle Aluminum Billet 'RS' Clip on Ons Handle Bar 33mm Black Black | eBay

·
Registered
3,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Too bad you didn't see this before you got the new gauge.
Trail Tech || TTO Temp Meter - Silver - 22mm Radiator Hose Sensor

I'm thinking that I might want to add this latter for my own peace of mind.
.........shoot.....i really like that lol. It's got that modern feel which I like.......and looks easy to install too. Just put it right inline with the hose. I don't have the money right now to buy that as well which sucks....but I do believe i will be adding that to the project eventually. Thanks for the link :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
So just in case anyone is interested, or just to look at things to spend money on (I do that too often :shame:) i have made a list of items i have purchased for this build, as well as the links where said items can be found. Anything else I buy I will add on later.

Headlight: Amazon.com: BikeMaster Angel Halo Headlight with CCFL - Black FA54 BLK: Automotive

Headlight Mounting Brackets: Motorcycle Black Head Light Bracket Fork Mount Universal Kawasaki KZ Cruiser | eBay

Clip-on handlebars: 33mm Black Aluminum Clip on Handle Bar s Honda CB350 CB400 CX500 CB450 CMX250 | eBay

Coolant Temperature Gauge: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVU8YI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Horn: Amazon.com: Wolo 300-2T Universal 12 Volt OE Low Tone Disc Horn: Automotive

Tail Light (to be mounted): Amazon.com : Black Tail Running Brake Light w/ License Plate Mount for Harley Bobber Chopper Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics

Turn signals (rear to be mounted): Amazon.com: 4~Black/Amber Panhead Turn Signal Light For Harley Bobber Custom Chopper Cruiser: Automotive

Side Mirrors: Amazon.com : 2 Way Universal Motorcycle Billet CNC Aluminum Black Anodized Direct Fit 7/8" Handle Bar End Convex Blindsight Rearview Side Mirror For Cruiser Chopper Touring Standard Street Naked Racing Sport Bike New : Gsxr Handle : Sports & Outdoors

Fiberglass wrap: DEI Black Fiberglass Exhaust Wrap | Black Motorcycle Header Pipe Wrap

Muffler Clamps: 1.94" - 2.12" Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Clamp | Stainless Steel Motorcycle Exhaust Clamp

Mufflers: 16" Chrome Shorty Slash Cut Muffler | Chrome Shorty Slashcut Cafe Racer Motorcycle Exhaust Can

Clutch Plates: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJBKFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fork Seals: Amazon.com: 1979-1980 Honda CX 500 C Custom Motorcycle Fork Seals: Automotive

Radiator temp switch for e-fan: KSD301 Temperature Switch Thermostat 80 °C N O KSD 301 | eBay

Ignition Coils: Ignition Coil Yamaha ATV Badger 80 YFM80 New 1989 2001 | eBay

All other little parts came from Parts N More - Japanese Vintage Motorcycle Parts , http://www.siriusconinc.com/, https://www.davidsilverspares.com/ or grabbed at the local Canadian tire.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
WOOHOOOO!! Cam chain and gaskets are finally in. Can't wait to get this silly engine in the bike and running! :blob6:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So while I was waiting for the parts to come in I decided to paint the tags and some parts of the motor. Wasn't a perfect job by any means, and I wouldn't brag about it, but overall it looks alright I think :)

Second coat of red after primer. Then sanded off the paint on the letters and polished them up a bit:

IMG_8329.JPG

Masked off the areas I wanted to then shot it with some black for the tags and cast iron for the clutch cover:

IMG_8343.JPG

Annnnnnnnnddddddd a final clear coat to give it some toughness. Hopefully it all stays on there! You can also see the advance pulse cover and oil filter cover as well (coolant tube thingy is off camera in same color). It did come out with a little bit too much texture for my liking but I don't think I'm going to bother sanding and polishing it as it's just the engine and it'll get dirty soon anyways :

IMG_8360.JPG

And the state of the motor as I left it last night (rotor is on now though) :

IMG_8357.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What did you use to strip the paint off the badges
You mean after I put the primer and red coat on? I just used 200 grit sandpaper to slowly sand off the paint and was careful not to touch the red in between the letters. It was easy because the letters are raised a fair amount and if you just kind of go fast only the tops of the letters lose the paint. After that I used 600 grit sand paper, then 2000 to polish them up a bit.
If you look at the first picture you can see around the inside edge of the tags there is metal showing in some spots. This is just where I sanded a bit too far, but since the black was going over top I wasn't worried about it too much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nono I mean as prep work before painting it red.
For example the rectangular honda badges on my bike are black background and the letters are silver. Black is peeling and flaking. I'm assuming yours looked similar before paint. Did you scrape the old paint off first?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nono I mean as prep work before painting it red.
For example the rectangular honda badges on my bike are black background and the letters are silver. Black is peeling and flaking. I'm assuming yours looked similar before paint. Did you scrape the old paint off first?
LOL ohhhhhhh i see what you mean now haha. Sorry about that :redface-new:
When I got the new engine the tags were actually already stripped of paint completely. I just assumed that's how most of them came from the factory. I just cleaned them up with some Varsal, did a pre-polish on the letters so I wouldn't have to do it so much again after the paint was on, then hit it with some primer then the red.

If I had yours though I would most likely take a Dremel with a somewhat soft wheel and slowly work off the paint that way. You might get scratch marks though, which you may have to do some extra prep work before you paint, depending on how gentle you were.
Aside from that you could get paint remover. Just brush it on, let it do it's thing, then wipe it off. It might do a better job of getting in the nooks and crannies than the Dremel would.
Other than that.....I can't think of anything else lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeaaaaa I'm pretty impatient Lol so I'm prob gonna go the chemical stripper route. I hadn't thought of the dremmel idea thou. I'm pretty sure there has to be a chemical paint stripper out there that'll do the job.

Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeaaaaa I'm pretty impatient Lol so I'm prob gonna go the chemical stripper route. I hadn't thought of the dremmel idea thou. I'm pretty sure there has to be a chemical paint stripper out there that'll do the job.

Thanks for the ideas
You and me both lol. I cannot wait to get this bike on the road again!!! I'm trying not to cut corners though this time haha.

Yeah it's probably the easier route for sure. If the paint wasn't that bad I would just clean it up a bit then paint over it. It's not a part that gets abused a lot so the paint should stick fairly well.
One thing I should mention though, is that the paint I used on the tags was high heat engine paint. I only did this because I was worried that the heat from the engine would be enough to ruin the paint on the tags.

And no problem! Happy to help a fellow member :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey Motomicah ... nice build so far and thanks for posting all the detail..

Quick question regarding the temperature gauge. Did it come with a workable temperature sending unit adapter that screwed right in to the engine or did you have to make something to get it to work?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey Motomicah ... nice build so far and thanks for posting all the detail..

Quick question regarding the temperature gauge. Did it come with a workable temperature sending unit adapter that screwed right in to the engine or did you have to make something to get it to work?
Thanks! She's coming along slowly lol.

It did indeed come with a temperature sending unit adapter that fit right in. I was originally going to do something that Murray suggested which involved taking out the old sending unit and using the brass body of it as an adapter (once the end was chopped off and the insides gutted and the proper size tap run through it), but when I was fooling around with the adapters I noticed the one fit in perfectly. Put some pipe dope on it, and put it in without any problems.
The end of the sending unit just poked past the adapter about 1-2 cm, which should be far enough into the stream of coolant to give an accurate reading (fingers crossed). I have yet to test it though, so for now I shall assume it is all good.
One thing to note is that the gauge is a 12V one so you will not need to use the 7V regulator. I will try and take a picture of it installed tonight and will let you know how it works once I get everything hooked up and running.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pictures would be great ... I'd be very interested in hearing if the sending unit leaks or not and how good you feel it is in reading the actual water temp when you get that engine running ... looks like a decent gauge (better then the stock one) ... and it must use less power then the stock one (I think I remember reading the the stock one can draw up to an amp depending on temp of engine)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Pictures would be great ... I'd be very interested in hearing if the sending unit leaks or not and how good you feel it is in reading the actual water temp when you get that engine running ... looks like a decent gauge (better then the stock one) ... and it must use less power then the stock one (I think I remember reading the the stock one can draw up to an amp depending on temp of engine)
Got some pictures! I really hope it doesn't leak, but I've heard stories that it might. I made sure to put lots of dope on it though, and when I was threading it in it was a good tight fit so fingers crossed it works.
And it is a very nice gauge. I've seen a few members use it now and they all seem to have good results with it. Pretty sure anything that is stock uses more power than modern tech lol, but if that is true then it should be a very nice upgrade!

Here is the new sending unit threaded into the mount:

IMG_8366.JPG

The old sending unit (notice how far the end of the unit sticks out):

IMG_8369.JPG

And since I forgot to take pictures of the new unit out of the box, and I really did not want to take the new unit out of the engine I made a simple picture to illustrate what it looks like in the adapter. The more bronze/copper colored part is the adapter and the darker part is the actual sending unit. You can see what I meant about it not sticking out as far as the stock unit, but hopefully it should still work.

Temp Sending Unit.png

Reactions: djenkins

·
Registered
160 Posts
Awesome .. thanks for the pictures ...

I'd be very interested if it does leak or not so be sure to post back when you get the engine running ...

Any pictures of the mounted gauge? Or have you not gotten that far yet?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Awesome .. thanks for the pictures ...

I'd be very interested if it does leak or not so be sure to post back when you get the engine running ...

Any pictures of the mounted gauge? Or have you not gotten that far yet?
No problem :)

Yep, I shall keep you posted for sure. I think it should be fine, and if it's really leaking badly I'll just throw some silicon around it to hopefully solve the problem lol.
I also should have mentioned that the adapter has an aluminum crush ring around it so that should help to stop it from leaking too.

I'm not quite there yet....but it's in the near future haha. Still have to finish putting the engine together, then wire up the e-fan and lastly the gauge. Plus some minor paint touch up here and there on the frame. But I will post pics for sure!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just additional information ... I came across this thread re: an equus temp gauge and the adapter leaking just a little bit when installed (but fixed with teflon tape) .... so seems like these have worked for other guys with these bikes before...

21 - 40 of 997 Posts