Honda CX 500 Forum banner

281 - 300 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Soooooooooo, I was origionally going to mount the lights on the license plate holder thingy that I have been making....but.....I think I have changed my mind. I'll explain further down...

I wanted to mock up what the licence plate holder would look like, so grabbed some scrap cardboard and went to town:

IMG_9200.JPG

Traced it onto the metal plate (modified the mounting tabs a bit) :

IMG_9202.JPG

Then cut it out with the jig saw. This is the point at which I started to change my mind:

IMG_9204.JPG

IMG_9205.JPG

So the issue I am having is a simple one.....the setup looks awful lol. I hate how the light sits up so high and how the radius is too large. I made an even sharper bend but I didn't like that either as the support piece made the thing look huge, which is what I was trying to get away from.
So for now I will just keep the license plate on the holder. I have some ideas for the mounting of the lights and signals, but I believe the best option is to put them just below the rear hoop. Hopefully they don't rub against the tire but I have to do some measuring and whatnot to make sure. I'd put them on the hoop itself but will have a hard time with the LED strips sticking to the profile of the hoop. So yeah....back to the drawing board...again.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
How about instead of mounting them on the top like that, you mount them on the supports which will put them off to the side and close to the hub?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #283 (Edited)
Hmmmm that might work. I have to check and see what it would look like but it's definitely an option.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Finished welding up the assembly. Test fitted and everything seems to look good and it is solid. Shouldn't be going anywhere hopefully. I also made a few adjustments to the fender to make it a bit more symmetrical. I ground down a lot of the welds, but didn't want to do too much either, so all the little holes and blemishes here and there I will just use some bondo to clean it up.

IMG_9218.JPG

IMG_9215.JPG

IMG_9216.JPG

Tonight I will hopefully get the rear hoop bent, and then I can mock it up and start working on the pans and electronics.

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Mail time!!!
Got some cool new stuff in the mail.....just small things though.

Picked up this little crankcase pod filter as I need some way to vent the air from the headers now that the stock air box is gone.

I will be doing what ChopperCharles suggested in this post: What I'd do there is keep the stock T, and run the big line zip-tied to the frame rail, leading backwards. Once you get to the main downtube, attach another "T" adapter. Attach the T adapter so that one of the top arms of the "T" is attached to the breather hose from the engine. The other side of the "T" should be attached to a length of hose, which has a filter on the end. The bottom part of the T, attach a hose that goes straight down, and then plug the end.

Sounds like it should work well and will report back on how it performs once I get everything running.

IMG_9226.JPG

Also got my rear signals in the mail:

IMG_9225.JPG

I know what you're all thinking. "Those signals are way too small! They won't show up at all"
Yes, they are very small....but trust me, they are super bright! More bright than any signal light I have seen yet.

I was trying to find something small, but everything I looked at was too dim. Then I thought about projector lenses and how bright they are. I wondered if they sold mini versions of them, and sure enough I found a few that would work. Some were expensive but these ones were nice and cheap. They should work good for what I have in mind.

This picture was taken in a brightly lit room and they still blinded me:

IMG_9223.JPG

And once again, I have changed my mind on what I want to do with the rear of the bike. In order to mock it up I had to cut the frame, but I gave myself some wiggle room so I could cut off more if needed:

IMG_9228.JPG

I was originally going to go with a tube for the rear hoop, but then I would have to mount the brake lights below the frame (I found out there is not enough room last night, as they would rub on the tire on a hard bump) or off to the side like OCR suggested.
So instead what I plan to do is use a piece of C-channel and bend that to be my rear hoop. What this will allow is for me to mount the lights right onto the frame, which I was originally going to do but the rounded tube prevented it before.

I will see if I can come up with a drawing to make it a bit more clear what I intend to do, but for now you can see below what I mean about having a flat section to mount my lights to:

IMG_9230.JPG

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
So instead what I plan to do is use a piece of C-channel and bend that to be my rear hoop.
If your plan is to notch the flanges of the channel, you'll get a smoother curve using heavy sheet metal instead. Cut out the flange pieces with the curve you want, and weld on the web. With an adequate non-porous bead on the inside, you'll be able to round off the outer edge without sacrificing strength.

R

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
If your plan is to notch the flanges of the channel, you'll get a smoother curve using heavy sheet metal instead. Cut out the flange pieces with the curve you want, and weld on the web. With an adequate non-porous bead on the inside, you'll be able to round off the outer edge without sacrificing strength.

R
You know what....I like that idea a lot more! You're right, it will be easier to work with and the finish should be a lot better. What I will do is bend the profile out of the steel, cut a matching top and bottom section and weld that on. I will extend the top and bottom pieces to reach past the existing frame and weld along the top of that too which will give it a lot more support hopefully.
Thanks for another great tip Randall!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have that idea in my head for weeks! You're the first one I see executing a strip hoop instead of tubing, that doesn't match

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
I have that idea in my head for weeks! You're the first one I see executing a strip hoop instead of tubing, that doesn't match

Sent with Tapatalk
Lol, great minds think alike ;) I was staring at it for hours last night trying to figure out what looked best, and you're right, the hoop doesn't even match that well to the rest of the rear frame. I got stuck in the loop (pun intended) of copying what other people had done, but I think going this method should work good.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
So in an attempt to demonstrate what I will be trying to make, I mocked up the light arrangement I will most likely go with. And since I do not have access to a proper photo editing software, I ended up with bad quality gifs...but you can still get the idea.
On the actual build I will recess the signals a bit more to make them flush, just for the image I wanted to keep them visible to get the idea across.
I have purchased two delay circuits to allow me to have sequential turn signals, which should look pretty cool too.

Brake light setup:

Brake Lights Small.gif

Left Signal:

Left Signal Small.gif

Right Signal:

Right Signal Small.gif

·
Registered
817 Posts
Neat!

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey, what do you think of this idea?

I'm concerned that your blinkers may be blinding to drivers behind you...what do you think of putting them behind a strip of smoked uv-resistant acrylic?
You could even sand the outside of the plastic. It would appear solid flat black when the lights aren't on.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
I will give you one thing, you've got a knack for some great original ideas! I do like that design, and thought of something similar a while ago as I had some clear acrylic left over from a school project (pretty thick stuff though). The only issues I had were to get a nice even bend out of acrylic is a pain, at least for me it is. And the other issue I had was the LED strips for the brake light I have would be too dim behind the smoked lens.

The signals I got are bright, but they are also very tiny (about 3/4" diameter) so I don't really see them being too big of an issue blinding other drivers, especially at a meter or so away. But what I might do if I find that they are too bright, is just spray the lens with a dark smoked spray paint. Either that, or put little tinted circle lenses on the places where the recessed signals are. The idea is to have them look like torpedo hatches like on the side of a submarine (If that's what they're called).

·
Registered
231 Posts
OOh little smoked lenses would look BADASS! Great idea!

Yes, the correct term is torpedo hatches, and the storage room for the torpedoes is a torpedo hatchery.

Honest.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Yeah I just need to find a way to keep them in there. Any ideas? Silicon probably would be the best bet.

Sweet, I thought it was something like that. Thanks for the info, and also for the design help!

Here is a question for the electrical guys: The way the tail light works right now is 12v gets sent to the lights through one wire, and when the brake lever is pressed, 12v is passed through a separate wire (normally to the two filaments in a bulb). But only one wire has 12v at any given moment.
Now with the LED strips, I am trying to figure the best way to get them to light up. If I have one set to be the running light, and two for the brake light, then the issue I would have is every time the brake was pressed, the running light would go out (no more 12v through that wire) and the brake lights would come on (12v now passing through the second wire). Basically this means that they will be alternating, which isn't a bad thing really, just won't be as bright.

The thing I am wondering is if there is a way to have the running light on, and when the brake lever pressed, it stays on, but the other two lights also come on. What I am thinking is having the running light hooked up to both wires, and the brake lights hooked up to just the brake light wire. That way, during normal use, 12v is passing to the running light but not the brake lights, then when the brake is pressed, the 12v switches to the other wire, but since that wire is connected to all three LEDs it will light them up. Then when the brake is off, the 12v just goes back to the other LED.

Hopefully that makes sense, but I was just curious as to whether that could cause issues or not. If anyone has any info on whether or not that would work please let me know. I can draw up a circuit tomorrow if need be.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sure!
Get 4 cheap flashlights, cut and mod them. What I would do is suspend the lenses behind the lights, something like the F100r from Italian design house Fioravanti:

2000_Fioravanti_Ferrari_F100_Roadster_04.jpg

...so that light would leak out the sides and make the blinkers more visible to someone beside the bike.

By the way, I recommend the site that hosts that image to anyone interested in vehicle design.

It's huge, deep, and fascinating. It includes the best, the most outlandish, and the hilariously bad.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm a sparky :)
If the rear light is a separate LED strip from the brake lights, then the rear light would just stay on when you squeeze the brakes.

And there are some pretty amazing ideas brooding in this hatchery

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
you could hook all three lights together but you would have to hook a diode between the running light and brake light so the brake lights wont be on all the time as well.
also you could make the brake lights as blinkers this way too. little more complicated but it is do able. I was headed in this same direction last week on mine I will have to show pictures later, but I again changed my mind and going to do it different direction. one reason for changing my mind was it would have to be to high on the frame to clear the tire. hopfully you can pull it off cleaner than I thought I could.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Sure!
Get 4 cheap flashlights, cut and mod them. What I would do is suspend the lenses behind the lights, something like the F100r from Italian design house Fioravanti:

...so that light would leak out the sides and make the blinkers more visible to someone beside the bike.

By the way, I recommend the site that hosts that image to anyone interested in vehicle design.

It's huge, deep, and fascinating. It includes the best, the most outlandish, and the hilariously bad.
Oh yeah, that's smart and should work great! That's a very different looking car, but I like it. Another thing I was thinking of doing was having the outermost signal turned out slightly (a couple degrees) so you can see it from the side a bit better too.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
I'm a sparky :)
If the rear light is a separate LED strip from the brake lights, then the rear light would just stay on when you squeeze the brakes.

And there are some pretty amazing ideas brooding in this hatchery

Sent with Tapatalk
It is a separate LED indeed. Cool, I shall have to give it a go then. Thanks for the help! :D

281 - 300 of 997 Posts