Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over at the XS650 Yamaha board (great bunch of guys and a great bike)we had a popluar topic. What is the name of your bike and why? Origin and such. One of my fantasy jobs is to name wooden pencils and paper bags. An innocuous yellow pencil has a name like "VULCAN #2" or a paper sac has the name "Tornado 6"

I may name the Honda CX500 "Machine Age"? The engine has a very industrial machine look to it born of the Machine Age. An interesting quote from D. H. Lawrence (a motorcyclist of note) is "The essential American Soul is Hard, Isolate, Stoic, and a Killer. It has never yet melted" I was going to use the last three words "Never Yet Melted" but there is a blog using the same name so that's taken.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
402 Posts
My bike is ugly rusty brown with funny smells. Most people look at it like it was just dropped into the superbowl... therefore Its the Turd

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
My bikes name is Supertanker. It's been a long time coming where it was called the bike. The bikes around it had names but this one just couldn't pick up and hold a name. Sometime last year I switched gears and decided I wanted to do some touring so the bike started to get wider. I added soft saddlebags and a while after that I ran into a deal on a set of hondaline cx bags. During all this I kept thinking how was I going to expand my gas tank. I was looking at harley style tanks called mustangs on ebay and wasn't sure how well it would fit or how hard it would be to mod. Then everyone started putting standard and deluxe on their customs with little effort so I bought one. And then LRCXed Larry offered to try and build me one from a stock tank. It started as 3.2 gallons and now after several months of work it moved up to 6 1/3 gallons.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Stitch.... enter my raccoon syndrome here...... OOOHHHHHHH!! SHINY.......!!!

My bike is (Complete)Chaos- I just call her Chaos

Withing moments of finding her on e-bay and showing Troy I knew that if this guy still had the bike, it would be mine- well, after he told me to call the guy
After seeing the bike in person, I knew right away the colors I wanted and the name. There's mild, and there's wild. My wild is more headstrong, and not so much law breaking.... I work in a professional setting, where I have to endure Coast Guard inspections, and the ultimate goal is to get into the world of criminal justice- specifically probation. I adhere to certain standards as far as dress, etc (I went to a private high school so dress code is nothing new to me and I deal with it pretty well) but I have several chokers I love to wear -nothing extreme I can pair any of them with a nice outfit and sometimes do... the part of my hair you can see is brown with blonde highlights, but the whole underneath is purple. I got rid of a 1995 extended cab 2wd Dakota with a 318 V8 and dual exhaust (quite the little sleeper) for a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. Troy basically talked me into that- I didn't like the way it was setup (remember, I'm used to Mopar) but it was a vehicle we were getting *together*. I love the sunroof and the fact that when I put my foot into it- it MOVES, but it ends there. Too mild for me- too many gold Torrents around here, and they all look like soccer mom cars.... The bike is my moment of Chaos- and the beefed up/ more aggressive look to it is what makes it mine. This is the look I had in my head when I got the bike; this is what I knew it would be.

Noun 1. chaos - a state of extreme confusion and disorder

bedlam, pandemonium, topsy-turvydom, topsy-turvyness

confusion - disorder resulting from a failure to behave predictably; "the army retreated in confusion"

balagan - a word for chaos or fiasco borrowed from modern Hebrew (where it is a loan word from Russian); "it was utter and complete balagan!"

2. chaos - the formless and disordered state of matter before the creation of the cosmos

physical phenomenon - a natural phenomenon involving the physical properties of matter and energy

3. Chaos - (Greek mythology) the most ancient of gods; the personification of the infinity of space preceding creation of the universe

Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks

·
Registered
39 Posts
My GL500 project is currently called "Lots of Parts" It consists of a torn down engine on a work bench, and a roller I put back together for the frame mock up. Its been on hold due to the fact I dont have an acetylene torch in the garage and ive been to lazy to take it to my work on the weekends to bend up the 1" tubing I bought to finish the fab work on the new rear subframe and tail section. Sorry my description wasnt as intricate as Dakotas or Blinds.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm not all that original. My silver Silverwing is the Silverfish. My old silver van was the Silverpullet. My newer old blue van is the Bluebox.

And when I was a kid I had a dog named puppy and two cats named kitty (not at the same time though).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine is called the HellCat because one of my favorite movies (sands of iwo jima) had that plane in it. after that i started to learn about that plane. I think it is fitting for my cafe GL500.

here is a short writeup of the HellCat.

"The Hellcat was the first USN fighter for which the design took into account lessons from combat with the Japanese Zero. The Hellcat proved to be the most successful aircraft in naval history, destroying 5,271 aircraft while in service with the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps (5,163 in the Pacific and eight more during the invasion of Southern France, plus 52 with the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm during World War II). Postwar, the Hellcat aircraft was systematically phased out of front line service, but remained in service as late as 1954 as a night-fighter in composite squadrons".

·
Registered
422 Posts
My bike doesn't have a name yet. None of my vehicles have ever had names. I'm boring.

Maybe I'll name it when/if I get around to doing a sport/streetfighter conversion.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My last GL650 was called Rusty, because there was some. The current GL650I is Storm, for the darker 650 gray color and our inclination to hunker down and ride on when the weather turns inclement. My previous (yellow) EuroSport was called Yello-E, the current (black) EuroSport answers to the name BlackiE.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don - Just call your bike 'Ev'. Not short for Evelyn, short for Exxon Valdez.

Mine is named Ernest, so that when my wife asks what the heck that I'm doing, I can truthfully tell her that I'm working in earnest.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
All my bikes,cars,trucks,sleds,quads, came with names.

Kids and dogs did not, so I named them.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
It is funny, I have never named one of my BMWs, but I have everyone of my Silverwing Interstates. My current and probably last Silverwing (unless I wear her out) is Candy (500). Naturally, she is Candy Muse Red.

Previous bikes have been Silver (500), Mickey (650), Basket Case (650), Phoenix (650), Candy II (500)(bought as a gift and not to keep). There have been a couple of other Transverse Twins that I didn't own long enough to name.

The record for owning one was less than 30 minutes. The neighbor bought it from me before I had it off the trailer. I did give him a deal and a half though as we do each other favors.

I have a 6200 mile bike in my garage loft right now that I need to name as I will be spending time with her getting her ready to sell. She is also a Candy bike, I am thinking about Farmer, as she spent 9 years in a barn.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.