Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
i have been searching around for some time, and i just cant seem to figure out what specific year my CX500 is from.
the engine serial is CX500E-3003755
the frame serial is CX500-3003738

from what i have found out, most CX's got cx500-2####### or cx500-4###### or PC01###
i am located in Denmark, and from what i have been told it has been imported from Germany.
the bikes exterior makes me think its 79. but the e in the engine serial makes it a 84. but first registration was in 83 it say in the papers..

can someone shed some light on this ?
IMG_20180723_165721.jpg IMG_20180723_165604.jpg

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Engine maybe a transplant from a later model bike.
Look at the plate on the steering head, it will tell you the year of manufacture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is no plate there unfortunately, only a repetition of the serial i also got off the plate under the airbox

·
Registered
3,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What you have is / was?? a German 27 hp restricted CX500. 1978. Those had frame- and engine numbers with a leading "3".
Also the first year model, as digit # 2 is a "0", indicating first year of manufacture. De-restricting is utterly simple,so chances are someone already has done the work for you.

I´ve consulted the German "CX bible", written by Frank-Albert Illg, and got all about numbers confirmed from there.

/Sture

Reactions: OCR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you have is / was?? a German 27 hp restricted CX500. 1978. Those had frame- and engine numbers with a leading "3".
Also the first year model, as digit # 2 is a "0", indicating first year of manufacture. De-restricting is utterly simple,so chances are someone already has done the work for you.

I´ve consulted the German "CX bible", written by Frank-Albert Illg, and got all about numbers confirmed from there.

/Sture
Thanks alot for clearing that up!

How was it restricted? You are most likely right about it being done already but just wordering how it was done

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The restriction is a welded-in "plug" or "washer" inside the exhaust downpipe / header, just after the joint flange. The restricted pipe is MUCH narrower inside - 15 mm.

Just ream it out (careful so you don´t take too much!) and you´ve got a nice, unrestricted CX. It´s said to be also something with the carbs (they have different No:s) but "the Bible" tells no difference in jetting etc. between the "restricted" and unrestricted carbs. Maybe it´s only some German legal finesse?

At least 27 hp German pipes have a stamp outside telling the power figure - I believe also the German unrestricted ones have it. Hence different spare part No:s for German pipes - restricted or not, vs non-German ones.

I ought to get a life! :D

/Sture

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
At least 27 hp German pipes have a stamp outside telling the power figure - I believe also the German unrestricted ones have it. Hence different spare part No:s for German pipes - restricted or not, vs non-German ones.
I ought to get a life! :D
Yes, the 'full power' German pipes do have the power output stamped in them - I've got a new one in my spares stash.
There's nothing wrong with having the knowledge - it's only those that aren't interested (whatever the subject) who ridicule it. Those who need to know, as here, are (usually) very appreciative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts