Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or at least mostly, nice riding pants would probably have kept my knee from getting a scrapped up
You guessed it, I had my first crash/slide. I was out for a ride today along a aptly named road called crookedfinger and on the way back down the hill I hit a patch of gravel or something in a corner and it slide out from under me, the bike went in the ditch and I went sliding and rolling along the soft shoulder, nice soft dirt and pine needles about an inch think. The worst of the damage to the bike is the speedo got all smashed up and the front wheel shakes at 40mph or so so I think I well be putting on the spare front wheel. I also lost both left turn signals, the headlight brackets are all bent up, easy fix and the left muffler is dented in. So in retrospect I got Lucky, aside from already having giving Lucky my spare speedo
I think since the speedo is still working I can swap the guts into my spare tach case and use that. I will give the bike a more complete once over soon and let you know what I find. Here is what the speedo looks like

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Well it looks like the bike took most of the nasty. At least it was you against the ground instead of a car.

Don't throw the speedo it looks good to me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Glad you are OK and the bike is not to bent up.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
damn ohm i am glad your ok and i still thank you for the speedo which is going to turn 40k in hundred miles

ok what the hell is up with your tach did the screws work them selfs out or what??

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the screws that old that face in place on the tach worked themselves out
I guess I well have plenty of practice opening cases fixing the tach and swapping the guts of the speedo into the other tach case if I can. The other thing that got bent was the left mirror stem, it bent it down a little which actually works better then it was, better line of sight, so I think I am going to bend the right mirror down to match just not in as violent of manner

·
Registered
993 Posts
I too am glad you are OK and the bike is not too bent up.

or would that make it "I x3 am..."

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to Cycle Country and picked up some tire irons to swap wheels around and had a look at over pants, they had some Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0's they were closing out, I guess they are getting the new ones in, for $110 down from $170 so I got picked up a pair of them, the annoying bit is the linking zipper to the jacket is the same as my Cortec Jacket but the zippers are going opposite directions
I will take the jacket and pants down to the local alteration shop and see if they can't swap them around, I might also find some retro reflective strips to have them sew down the legs because they are solid black of course.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ohm, glad you are ok I think you may have twisted your Tach
though

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm glad you're OK. I suspect tomorrow you're going to feel like somebody worked you over with a 2 X 4. Motrin is your friend.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep my left side feels all nice and dented in

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
And there it is: Always dress for the fall, not the ride. Glad you are virtually unscathed. That speedo would make a nice alarm clock or bookend.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Well they look like pants.

* Heavy duty 630 Hitena® twill nylon outer

* 100% Waterproof

* Height adjustable C.E. rated knee protectors

* Removable high-density hip padding

* Removable waterproof liner

* Two-way leg zippers

* Melt resistant material on lower leg area

* Sure Fit™ adjustable waistband

* 8” zipper for jacket attachment

I really need some light pants that zip up the side. I wear the Fox Panter pants that I got from WisconsinCx for cheap from time to time but they're really to tight to be comfy and I hate taking my boots off to take them off.

I have also been lusting over some FirstGear Ht Air Overpants.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If only you could leave your tach permanenty like that, that'd mess with your friends heads if they ever look at the bike.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually the tach has been like that for about a month or so, just haven't gotten around to fixing it

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ohm, glad your OK. Damn shame about the bike, I know you put a lot of work into it.

I have an extra set of Nitro pants that I would let go cheap if you need them. They would fit up to about a 38 waist probably and cinch down if your smaller than that. They would be pretty damn warm in the summer, but in weather like this they would be perfect. Let me know if your interested, they're just collecting dust here.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might have to look at those next spring, I don't think they will fit me quite yet though, getting there

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yay, I finally got a few hours to work on fixing the bike. I picked up another muffler, the scrap yard I go to is starting to get worse about ripping people off, the last two sets of Sportster mufflers I got were $30 for the complete set, now they wanted $30 for a single muffler, I was able to talk them down to $20 for just a muffler. I also got my front wheel changed out, it had a definite wiggle in it, and swapped the good tire off the original wheel end it put on the replacement wheel and balanced it. I also fixed the speedo and tach, for the speedo I just used the front case half from my spar tach, had to drill a hole for the trip knob but otherwise it worked fine. Re-installed the clocks and straitened out the left headlight bracket. Now I just need to reinstall the headlight, fix the turns signals and swap out the mufflers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts