Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Vespa (200cc's) when gas hit $4 a gallon about 3 years ago--wife wouldn't let me buy a motorcycle. After 3 years of pleading she finally gave in. Bought the CX back in December and had the previous owner drive it to the shop. I had new tires, Dayton handlebars, and general maintenance done. So today was the culmination of the aforementioned journey! The moment I finally rode a motorcycle, my motorcycle. Holy Crap! what a difference. I can't stop smiling.

What initially inspired me to make the move was Doc's Chop's cafe conversion on HD's Cafe Racer. So for months as I've been waiting for the weather to break and the shop to finish with the list of things to do, I've been spending hours scouring the internet looking for new tanks, exhaust systems, etc. Not anymore. Until the novelty wears off I'm not changing a thing. She's perfect for right now. So if you're on this forum contemplating the same path that I chose... go for it. Mark my works, it's more fun then you can imagine. -A

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I bought a Vespa (200cc's) when gas hit $4 a gallon about 3 years ago--wife wouldn't let me buy a motorcycle. After 3 years of pleading she finally gave in. Bought the CX back in December and had the previous owner drive it to the shop. I had new tires, Dayton handlebars, and general maintenance done. So today was the culmination of the aforementioned journey! The moment I finally rode a motorcycle, my motorcycle. Holy Crap! what a difference. I can't stop smiling.

What initially inspired me to make the move was Doc's Chop's cafe conversion on HD's Cafe Racer. So for months as I've been waiting for the weather to break and the shop to finish with the list of things to do, I've been spending hours scouring the internet looking for new tanks, exhaust systems, etc. Not anymore. Until the novelty wears off I'm not changing a thing. She's perfect for right now. So if you're on this forum contemplating the same path that I chose... go for it. Mark my works, it's more fun then you can imagine. -A

Welcome to the club... I hope that if you sell the Vespa, you will be able to invest in another 4 or 5 CXs and still take the wife out to dinner.

P.S. Personally, I like scooters...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yes, these came from the factory almost perfect for any rider within a certain tallness, really tall or short people have minor troubles with a few things. It seems like any variation from stock really screws things up with a few exceptions such as going to real fork oil instead of the factory ATF and adding preload spacers for the front springs if they are starting to lose some of their original height.

I think the Tarozzi fork brace I'm going to add will be a noticeable improvement as well.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have a sift spot for scooters/mopeds. Me an my brother are still kicking ourselves for passing up a pair of running/titled 70's vespas for $700 a few years back. I would really like a beat up, and rusty old vespa.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A Vespa certainly holds value, probably because it has such a large following. I've ridden a few and they just aren't the same as a bike that will rap out to 10,000 RPM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.