Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it in place. Had to widen the clevis and bush the eye but otherwise it fit nicely. Can't wait to try it but haven't got the carbs on,tank sealed,or the new PS springs in yet. Stay tuned.GJ

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took it for 1st short putt today and am very happy. The shock and prog springs feel great and love the engine. My only gripe is the pegs-too far forward. I'll be doing some rearset mod and maybe a seat from some other bike to allow fore/aft movement. Icing on the cake is a nifty gearbox that slips into neutral with no glitches. GJ

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should if the shocks are anywhere near the same dimensions. Mine is great-the slight extra length makes centerstanding just a push w the foot/no lift to get it up. I might add a bit of 1/8" plate on the stand's feet if I want to be able to spin the tire but I got the wheel on and off as is. The forks have 5/30 in them w the progressive springs and w the shock give a comfortable yet sporting ride(I've hit some nasty bumps w/o any bottoming). I just moved my pegs 5" back and w repositioned controls the bike is like I want. Had it out on some of my favorite twisty roads and was taking them only about 10mph shy of what I do on the Futura! I also added a 1mm spacer under the needles to cure an off idle lean spot. It is no wonder these bikes have a loyal following-it will toodle along @30/35 in 5th and 45-65 is sweet. The GL650 has been in my list of possible future bikes for some years and now it may well replace my Futura when I'm too feeble to handle that one. Now I need to grind off the excess bondo from the repaired tank and spray some color on it-that could wait 'til winter as I'm having too much fun riding it!
GJ

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE! I just added taper steering bearings and while reassembling moved the tubes up 12mm to quicken steering a bit. This move raised the rear tire about 1/2" off the floor.
GJ

·
Registered
979 Posts
Still like the shock? How exactly did you mod it.to.fit?

·
Registered
889 Posts
GJ, could you do a write-up, preferably w/ pics on how you did the rearsets and the brake/shifter pedals?

Thx.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Just got it in place. Had to widen the clevis and bush the eye but otherwise it fit nicely. Can't wait to try it but haven't got the carbs on,tank sealed,or the new PS springs in yet. Stay tuned.GJ

How did you widen the clevis?

I just picked up a xvs1100 shock for my GL650. I want the Yamaha shock to be the same length as the stock shock.

.I just read that once the spring is compressed the clevis can be heated, which melts the locktight, and the clevis can be unscrewed from the rod!
So it should be easy to make a new clevis that fits the GL and screw it on. Yea!

I am also taking the plunge and installing race tech springs and gold valve cartridge emulators in the forks, along with new bushings and seals. I have been running Progressive brand springs which were a big improvement over stock, but I am looking for further improvement.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
OK! I got the clevis off the xvs shock. I just had to heat it with my MAP gas torch to get it to break free and unscrew. I first compressed the spring with a couple 3 hole exhaust flanges and some threaded rod. I then held the shaft with a vice grip and heated the clevis. I had to get it pretty hot to get the thread locker to give. I used a large crescent wrench to turn the clevis as I held the vice grip.

Next step is to fabricate a new clevis. I thought briefly about cutting the clevis off my spare GL650 shock to use, but it is a good shock and I did not want to waste it. If this conversion works out I will be selling my 2 GL650 shocks to recoup expenses. Another shock that might be a good one to convert is the FJR1300 shock, with remote preload adjustment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts