Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the rainy winter months I've pulled out my LED headlamp and replaced it with this from Hella. H4 Xtreme yellow. Much less eye strain with wet roads, rain, signage reflection... Looks great, works great. We get a lot of fog where I live in the fall and winter, I don't need 6500k of bright white light reflecting back in my face.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-H4-Yellow-60-55W-Yl-Xtreme-Yellow-Bulbs-12V-60-55W-2-Pack/323882342132?hash=item4b68e456f4:g:1OcAAOSwpPpdUTHD[/URL]

Automotive lighting Yellow Lighting Automotive light bulb Auto part

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,731 Posts
I don't understand why people use 6500K lights. Or 2900K for that matter. When I converted to HIDs I did a bunch of research and learned that the human eye can see more detail with about 4300-4500K lights than any other colour temperature (makes sense since this is about the CT of noon time sun).

It isn't the colour of the fog lights that makes them work but the beam shape and the way they are aimed. Proper fog lights need to have a low, wide beam pattern and be mounted as low as possible so that they light up the road below the fog without reflecting off of the fog so you can't see anything.
I used to have a nice set of projector fog lights on Eccles, not because we have a lot of fog here (although we do get our share) but because it was easier to see the road when there was blowing snow if I turned off the headlights and turned on the fog lights. I had them on for a few winters and used them a lot until the first winter I had the HID headlights. I think I tried switching to the fog lights one or 2 times but the beam shape of the HIDs worked better in the fog or blowing snow than the fog lights did so the next summer I removed them and installed a couple of small LED markers instead.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I originally installed a PIAA Ion Yellow bulb about 4 years ago to hopefully make the bike stand out a bit more and maybe help a less than fully attentive driver notice that I was there. It definitely stands out, but more importantly I discovered that on dark wet mornings (we get a lot of those in Portland) when the painted lines in the street are difficult to see, the yellow bulb makes the white painted lines pop right out at you. I have no problem telling exactly where my lane ends. Doesn't do much for yellow painted lines but the white ones, wow.

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
304 Posts
The package shown is marked "off road use only" ? Yellow headlights wouldn't be legal here (Europe) anyway, are they legal in the US ?

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I originally installed a PIAA Ion Yellow bulb about 4 years ago to hopefully make the bike stand out a bit more and maybe help a less than fully attentive driver notice that I was there. It definitely stands out, but more importantly I discovered that on dark wet mornings (we get a lot of those in Portland) when the painted lines in the street are difficult to see, the yellow bulb makes the white painted lines pop right out at you. I have no problem telling exactly where my lane ends. Doesn't do much for yellow painted lines but the white ones, wow.
Yep. I'm just to the north of you in Kelso. I ride year round so this really makes a difference, a comfortable alternative to the bright white norm.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The package shown is marked "off road use only" ? Yellow headlights wouldn't be legal here (Europe) anyway, are they legal in the US ?
Lighting in my state is a secondary offense meaning you will not get pulled over, but if the offense causes an issue, you will be fined for it. No worries here.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
Probable cause is usually related to something as simple as a non-functional license plate light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts