Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
OK, that makes sense. I didn't do the research about which boot would fit. Vitter and the parts guy looked at boots with no thought about which car it was made for. All I did was contact Empi to find out what it fits in case Empi brand parts aren't available overseas.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Theres one on EBAY right now.

Also, I think I have some, but could only find 1 at this time and it is allocated to a project. I got boxes of parts I have not organized yet and I am loosing track of what I got, LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey brother, thanks for letting me know about that! It seems a little pricey in Canadian dollars but I might go for it if you don't find one soon!
Cheers.
Ross

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
210 Posts
@electdroid What's your time frame for needing one, I'm online ordering the civic boot that'll cost about $15.

I was going to order the civic boot the other day but got sidetracked if you wanted to wait for me to try it out it might be a week or two

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ordering the 86-1155 one for the turbo, because at least by schematic I like the inside step on the bigger end for potentially fitting into the groove on the swing arm, plus it's a hair tighter/closer to OEM and a smidge longer, hoping that helps keep it expanded outwards. I'm slightly concerned about the angle of the rubber on the small end and whether or not that'll effect it's ability to seal once it's cut to the size of the engine side.

Slope Parallel Rectangle Font Line art

Also grabbing this one, which is a lot like Bobs but a tighter opening on the large end and a bigger opening on the small end, but that end will get trimmed anyway (1.75 opening)

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

the one bob's used for his that worked well (I think these have to go around an oval opening on non-turbo CX/GL500s, so bigger is better on the swingarm end)

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Circle

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey brother, thanks for letting me know about that! It seems a little pricey in Canadian dollars but I might go for it if you don't find one soon!
Cheers.
Ross
If you go browse this part, add it to your watchlist. Usually for most sellers, will, within 24 hours have an automated email sent with an an offer with a typical 10% savings. The other thing you could do is send the seller a message making him an offer. Make it reasonable as they are not going to give it away. If they say no, you always have the option to buy it at the asking price. I have bought from this seller in the past, He is an OK seller.

Beware though, The fact that I included it here may attract others who might need the part or simply want it as a spare in their inventory. Meaning, they may buy it out from under you why you are trying to make up your mind. I have had that happen to me, and I admit that I myself have bought parts by others bringing them to the attention on the forum.

I doubt if I will get to my parts anytime soon. I have a lot of parts, mainly from kawasaki triples and yamaha enduros that I have been buying to work on retirement projects. Kind of gotten out of hand, LOL. If you think turbo parts are getting expensive, you should look at the kawasaki triple parts. I bought parts years ago that I thought were outrageous. Within two years, those parts are now 3 to 4 times what I paid for them.

A kawasaki H2 Frame and engine cases with title is going for $2000-$2500. Two years they were about $700. Its a crazy world out there right now

The Turbo bikes are getting rarer and rarer, so original parts are fetching top price. There are typically two categories of buyers, ones that are going to ride and enjoy the bike and others that want it more of an investment to collect and show. The later group desire Honda Original parts and will drive good quality used parts/NOS parts very high.

Here are some recent sales on NOS parts
NOS fuel sender $800
NOS fuel filter $500
NOS Exhaust $350

John

Reactions: elrodicater

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks everyone esp.johnste1960 for the tip about one being on eBay-I just bit the bullet and bought it!
Enjoy and keep the rubber side down everyone!
Cheers.
Ross

·
Registered
210 Posts
I posted about my boot trial:

Reactions: Sidecar Bob
21 - 29 of 29 Posts