Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am desperately trying to find a pair of square dust caps that are used on the 650 motors. Murray said he has and can print them, but with how swamped he is currently, there is no telling when he can get to it.

Anyone have a set of leads / boots / caps / whatever you want to call them that I can purchase?

Tool Bicycle part Auto part Font Metal

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
234 Posts
If murray was kinda enough, perhaps he could send you the 3d print file and you can have someone print it? Obviously it's a thing I understand if he doesn't want to share as it might hurt his business but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If murray was kinda enough, perhaps he could send you the 3d print file and you can have someone print it? Obviously it's a thing I understand if he doesn't want to share as it might hurt his business but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
problem is finding someone with a printer, then finding someone who can print with the specific filament that he uses.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,698 Posts
Anyone have a set of leads / boots / caps / whatever you want to call them that I can purchase?
Just to clarify:
"leads" is another word for the wires that run from the coils to the caps
the caps are the hard plastic pieces with the metal parts inside that are screwed into the ends of the wires and clip onto the spark plugs
the rubber parts are the boots (there is some confusion over this name because it also applies to spark plug caps that are all rubber without the hard plastic part) and I'm pretty sure you are looking for the boots that fit the square recesses in the valve covers used on the CX500E and all CX/GL650 models.

The boots are usually considered to be part of the caps so no part numbers or individual names are given for them for the CX/GL500/650 family of bikes. BUT Honda calls the pieces that perform the same function on the 4 cylinder GoldWings "supressor seals" (this is related to Honda calling the spark plug caps "noise suppressor cap assembly").

The sole purpose of those boots or suppressor seals is to prevent debris from falling into the spark plug wells (any water that enters should leave by the drain holes). As such they are basically a cosmetic item and unless you expect a lot of stuff to fall into the wells there is no reason to expect you will have any problems if you use the bike without them while you wait for Murray to have time.

FWIW, I have them on my CX because I drive it in winter but I haven't had them on my GoldWing in years and it hasn't caused any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts