Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got myself my first bike, an 81 cx500c. It's been a blast but, as usual, my new toy started having problems right after I got it. Most recently the stator.

I ordered this Electrosport Stator Honda CX500C CX500C Turbo CX650T ESG080 | eBay (being that it says it's compatible) and as I'm removing the old stator, I noticed there are more wires (6) coming off of it than what's on the new one (3).

Did I get the wrong stator or am I going to have to add some wires to it or take some out? Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Sounds like you have a CDI ignition bike and got a TI ignition stator.

Do you have a single ignition module under the seat, or do you have 2 separate sparker units?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
:( unfortunately, you got the wrong stator. The one you got (3 yellow wires only) is a G8 stator, which wont work on a CDI bike. The one you need is a G47 stator which has two additional coils (CDI ignition coils) and will have a white, blue and probably green is addition to the 3 yellow ones. A G47 stator is about twice as expensive as a G8 and can be used on your bike IF you replace the CDI unit with an Ignetech ignition module..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Short answer is YES
I propose you to read this thread.

·
Registered
829 Posts
It sure does not match the ones that i have worked with on my 80 and 81 engins. You will need a different one that is the same as the one you have in the bike. The 81 uses pulser coils which requires the extra wires. If the cdi box is changed you will not need the extra wires. Others on this forum can be more specific. Bottom line is that that is not the same and will not work with the rest of the original electrical system. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am from Lipstat Germany. Just a quick hello schorsche.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:( unfortunately, you got the wrong stator. The one you got (3 yellow wires only) is a G8 stator, which wont work on a CDI bike. The one you need is a G47 stator which has two additional coils (CDI ignition coils) and will have a white, blue and probably green is addition to the 3 yellow ones. A G47 stator is about twice as expensive as a G8 and can be used on your bike IF you replace the CDI unit with an Ignetech ignition module..

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses! That's awesome. But anyway, I'm not sure if I'm reading your last statement correctly but are you saying I'm going to have to get a G47 stator AND the Ignetech or just get the Ignetech if I stick with the G8 stator.

I would prefer to spend as little money as possible since I've already put way more into this bike than I was wanting/planning to so any way I can do this without the Ignetch ignition module would be perfect.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
either, return the G8 for a G47 and install the G47 OR keep the G8 and buy an Ignitech and install it...........either way you will spend about the same dollars

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's too late for me to send it back so I might just buy an Ignitech. I had suspicions that it was going out so I might as well. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts