Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wiring Problems - Headlights, Turn Signals, Sparkplugs

My '82 CX500C isn't starting. I've posted earlier about the lack of spark and I was referred to a page on it, but I couldn't find the solution. It's not a problem with the main fuse and I'm not sure how to check the starter and ignition switches. Either way, there is still no spark and it will not start. The starter just cranks and cranks to no avail.
Also, the turn signals and brake lights aren't working, but I can operate either turn signal by touching an orange & gold together or a blue & gold together. However, I'm unable to operate either one with just the turn signal switch. I have to plug in either terminal and they won't operate at the same time, and I am beyond frustrated. I can't ride until they work.
Lastly, I am wiring up a headlight as I just got the fork ears and bucket, but there are so many wires in the front of the bike. When I bought it, which was something like three weeks ago, there was a very beaten up fairing on it, which I removed, and that's where I got the H4 bulb, but there are so many wires and I don't know where to put them. They don't look like they'll fit inside the headlight bowl. Anyways, I need help because I'm out of my depth and I really want to get this show on the road.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
When a fairing is added [honda line or vetter] there is an extension added that just plugs in to the main harness that you need to remove and then all the wires will fit inside the standard headlight bucket.
If you have the turn signals plugged in but not grounded they will not work properly through the switch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a large plug that plugs into the fairing, but there is also a big bundle of wires that have been taped together that stick out of the front. Are you saying that they are just an extension of a much simpler wiring harness? When I removed the fairing, all of the wires were contained in this small black box with a large x stamped across the front. There are so many wires, it is absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Yes, that is what I am saying. It is merely an extension cable for the fairing and after you unplug it from the main all the remaining wires will fit into the bucket and behind the fork trim as shown in the post above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How exactly do I unplug the extension? I'm looking at it and it is pretty intricately connected. I just don't want to unplug stuff and not know how to put it back together. I don't want my motorcycle turning into Humpty Dumpty

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
The headlight plug without the extension should be a blue block, the rest will be brown or white for the turn signals.
If you look at the colorized schematic (wiring diagram) that is in the WIKI you will see where each goes.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
How exactly do I unplug the extension? I'm looking at it and it is pretty intricately connected. I just don't want to unplug stuff and not know how to put it back together. I don't want my motorcycle turning into Humpty Dumpty
In the original wiring every wire or connector plugs together with one of the matching colour so it is pretty hard to get it wrong. There are a very few exceptions to that rule, such as the black wires that ran to the original turn signals but they originally had little pieces of coloured sleeving near the connector to identify what they plugged together with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the entire extension plug and it made a huge difference. Thank you so much. I still am having a problem with turn signals and the engine starting though. Any advice?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disconnected the fairing plug and replaced it with another six-blade connector already in the harness and the only wires that aren't connected are all female. There is a blue/white bullet connector, an orange/white bullet connector, a green (ground?) double bullet connector, a dark golden brown colored bullet connector, a green blade connector, and a pair of two black blade connectors for the horn. All of the connectors I've listed are FEMALE. So, I don't really know where they go seeing as there seems to be no male end to any of them. Also, there is a little black box with two flanges and wires going into it. The flanges have holes for a screw to go through.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CX500 Relay.JPG CX500 Relay 2.JPG

This is the little black relay I have on the bike. I'm not sure what it does.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
The light blue/white and orange/white are for the running lights in the turn signals. The brown wire id from the tail light circuit for a small bulb in the headlight called a Park Light that is required in some places. Green is ground.

What I'm talking about is the wires that run down the handlebars from the switch assemblies. Follow them into the headlight shell and make sure that they are all plugged into matching connectors/wires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The headlight is off right now. I got it with the fairing on it and have since removed it, so there are no turn signals or lights currently on it. The wiring is completely exposed and those are the connectors that I can see. The headlight connector is also unpaired, but I know where that goes.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Yeah. I'm still talking about the wires that come down the handlebars from the switch assemblies. If some of those aren't plugged in it could effect whether or not you have spark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dad and I sorted out the issue with starting. It now starts, but the other issue is turn signals. When I flip the switches for the turn signals, they don't turn on and there isn't even a light on the cluster telling you that a signal is on.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
OK, again I'll ask if all the wires from the handlebar switches are plugged in.

What kind of turn signals are you trying to connect? Do you have the original ones at the rear and do they work?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The rear turn signals are, I believe, original and they work. When I plug in either the orange or blue wire into a brown one, which is apparently for "park", either one of the turn signals turns on in the rear. I don't yet have front turn signals, only a headlight. Everything from the handlebar switches are connected besides what I have outlined in post #11. I'm very new with bikes, so I was dumb and thought the starting problem was electrical, but it was actually a problem with fuel delivery. The air inlet boot just after the carburetor was leaking, and it still kind of is, but with a good deal of starter fluid we got it started. Also, the the pair valve causes the bikes to backfire from burning unburned exhaust gases in the manifold. The problem now is that I cannot tell what I need to plug in and whatnot in order to get the turn signals to work when I flip the switches.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts