Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I graduated from "will-crash" to "has-crashed."

I also graduated to the minivan.

I'm fine, just slid for a while and got some bruises. I'm just very frustrated with myself for taking a turn too fast when the road was cold & damp.

The bike, however, is pretty messed up.

• The steering is twisted, which probably means the forks are ruined.
  • The left valve cover has a fairly small scuff mark where it slid along the road, but there is oil leaking from the scuff now??? I guess the metal there is very thin (no engine guards).
  • The gearshift lever is all bent up now, and I couldn't get it into 2nd gear. It will go into neutral or 1st.
  • And of course I scraped the turn signals off and general tore up L side of the bike.

Combined cost of repairs will probably far exceed the $$ value of the bike. Not sure what I'll do. I'll post pics when I can.

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
Glad to hear your OK. Others haven't fared so well. Sounds like you just created yourself a winter project though. I'm sure we can come up with parts for you.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
glad your ok,thats the main thing.

i dont think the damage to your bike will be as bad as you think....hopefully

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi FBCJump,-- most important, we're glad to hear you're O.K. (with bruises); could have been alot worse.

Bike Rehab 1) Bent FRAME? 2) Forks- not hard or too costly to replace with good salvaged units. 3) Valve cover bent , leaking- not a big problem. Unless the cylinder head is bent.

Inspect carefully. 4) Foot gear pedal- not a big problem UNLESS you bent the internal gear mechanism ( maybe) This is an engine out job to reair, with salvaged transmission (GEAR)

components. You'll need to do a very through inspection. If you're a good DIY'er, and use nice recycled parts, its possible financially. If not, -it may now be a parts bike.

Good luck, post us for your progress.

P.S. My brother is a college professor at Hardin-Simmons there. Sam.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bikes are so cheap right now, at least here on the west coast. If I were you i'd try to find one in similar or better condition, buy it, and part out your bike for what you don't need. Your current bike can be used to replace any needed parts off a new bike, and you can keep some pieces as spare! Sorry that happened though

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Glad you could walk away from it Bret

As for the damage, as said it may not be that bad.

The forks may just have just twisted in relation to the bars

if so its easy enough to sort.

As long as the gear change shaft itself isnt damaged its

easy to fix a bent gear change ( if you have a tame welder to hand)

Valve covers and lamps should be easy to source.

As for the cosmetics, I'd ignore it until I was ready to tart it up again.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,198 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got out OK, Bret.

If you need it, I've got a Custom gear shifter with nothing to shift. If the damage does end up being to the shift drum or trans, I've probably got spares of those, too.

No hurry. Figure out what you'll need and get back to me.

R

·
Registered
88 Posts

If you need it, I've got a Custom gear shifter with nothing to shift. If the damage does end up being to the shift drum or trans, I've probably got spares of those, too.

R

I have never been a part of a motorcycle community before so I don't know if they are all the same--but this place is awesome. Some of the most helpful, friendliest folks around here.

DW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

R

Thanks very much Randall, and everyone who has offered help.

Many thanks! I may not get a chance to dig into it for a few days, but I'll certainly keep everyone updated with what I find.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
"Any landing you can walk away from" as we say in the Aircraft game."Glad you are OK

The suggestion to get another bike and part out is most likely your best option.There's a good possibility the frame may be bent as well as engine damage if you didn't have engine guards fitted?

The damage may not be visible but because the cylinders are outside the frame they are very vulnerable to being cracked/damaged/micro fissures even in a slow speed slide

This is a crap time of year in the UK because the roads rarely get dry and with the tyre soot and diesel and dampness they are as slick as hell.

I always give my tyres a good few miles to warm up before taking any corners with any real amount of lean and even then carefully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should have mentioned that I actually drove it home.

I was less than a mile from home when I went down, so I hopped up, heaved the bike upright again, got it into neutral, and went home on side streets (slowly, as I couldn't get it into 2nd gear)!

It seemed to be running fine--no knocking or clattering. Just leaking a bit of oil through that scuff on the valve cover. The steering sure is messed up, though.

That doesn't mean the cylinder wasn't damaged, I suppose.

I'm certain it's fixable, the question is, would it be worth the time and money. I got the bike for $600, which was a steal...but if it'll take that again to fix it... (plus I'm about to move across the country in the next few weeks)

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Well moving could complicate it but I would say give it a try fixing it. Ever go down on a bicycle and screw up the handle bars and have to loosen all the bolts with the wheel between you legs and push the handlebars back in alignment. It could all be that simple.

How fast were you doing when you went down?

·
Super Moderator
23,215 Posts
Since the gear lever only has to be engaged one spline tooth too high to hit under the engine case to prevent any upchange it would only take a small upward bend of the lever to cause this issue.. Aslong as the frame isn't damaged your main problem sounds like your forks.

Probably seems worse than it is.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I dunno - my ex-wife seemed to replace me pretty easily.

Glad you are OK! I'm assuming you were wearing protective gear at the time, correct?

I have the rear turn signals for a 79 custom if that helps, just let me know. Sounds like you might be looking for a new bike though. Hopefully you can heal up and be on the road again in no time.

Mike

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,198 Posts
... so I hopped up, heaved the bike upright again...
It's amazing how light these can be with adrenaline in your veins.

I'm certain it's fixable, the question is, would it be worth the time and money. I got the bike for $600, which was a steal...but if it'll take that again to fix it...
Look at it not as time spent, but as experienced gained. Unless you find major damage, it shouldn't cost much to repair. I suspect it's just the bent lever limiting your shifting. The same thing can happen when it's merely mounted incorrectly.

(plus I'm about to move across the country in the next few weeks)
Where to? There may be a member nearby who wants to join in the fun.

R

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Glad you're alright man. Could be as simple as taking a "gas" wrench to the shifter to get her tweaked back up correctly.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'm also glad to hear you are alright. Take a deep breath and get back on when you and the bike are ready. After a few miles you will know if it is alright to ride again. Mini-vans aren't as much fun.

Do you have fresh tires on the bike? That is most the common problem with sliding on wet pavement.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.