Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me a while to figure out that the basic URL www.choppercharles.com was back. If a lot of folks are like me, they are still wondering if choppercharles will ever come back because like me they might have bookmarked the old forum link which doesn't work anymore.

I don't have but a few email addresses from the turbo owners but if we could email the turbo users and let them know of this change we might get folks back quicker.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
It took me a while to figure out that the basic URL www.choppercharles.com was back. If a lot of folks are like me, they are still wondering if choppercharles will ever come back because like me they might have bookmarked the old forum link which doesn't work anymore.

I don't have but a few email addresses from the turbo owners but if we could email the turbo users and let them know of this change we might get folks back quicker.

The people who have email addys have been sending them out, so if you notice someone hasn't made it here yet and you have their e-mail, it might be good for you to send one out. Glad you found us

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm glad I backed up a bunch of stuff from the old forum myself. I posted a thread about possible data loss in the turbo area on the old forum, but then people came along and assured us that it would all be here when the new site was set up. Sounds like it is going to be here eventually, but that currently Charles is sorting through the data. Even so things don't always go as planned - for example he was originally going to transfer all of the user names over to here, but that didn't work out due to issues with the old host and the site repeatedly going down.

·
Registered
546 Posts

If I type choppercharles.com/cs, I get redirected here, have since day 1 (firefox)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I type choppercharles.com/cs, I get redirected here, have since day 1 (firefox)

I had "http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/...." bookmarked, any URL with the /forums gives you a 404 error.

I emailed a few others... Posted on Dan's facebook page as well...

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino Trail - 2021 CSC SG400 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - Several CX project bikes
1,771 Posts
The upload of the old forum has been started. Should be 48 hours or so before all 60,000 posts (3GB!!) have been uploaded. If you check http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums you can see the progress.

Most everything is going to be 404 because it's uploading the files in order from oldest to newest, but the files will all be there before you know it.

Note that this means google indexed pages will be at the same physical URL, even though the original forum software is no longer running. (I saved the actual html files)

Charles.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino Trail - 2021 CSC SG400 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - Several CX project bikes
1,771 Posts
Charles... You should edit the old main page so that there is a link to the new forum there that is plainly visible so people how to get to the new forum!

Will do. It's set up that when you try and reply or submit a new post, it redirects you to the new forum. But I'll make some more changes like that once the files have uploaded.

Charles.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Will do. It's set up that when you try and reply or submit a new post, it redirects you to the new forum. But I'll make some more changes like that once the files have uploaded.

Charles.

I think that will return a lot of lost soles back from the abyss.

I now you, Charles, have probably been putting in many hours getting this to work while we are spending times on our bike, with family, and such.

Thank you again for being the glue that's been keeping this all together.

Tim

·
Registered
816 Posts
The upload of the old forum has been started. Should be 48 hours or so before all 60,000 posts (3GB!!) have been uploaded. If you check http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums you can see the progress.

Most everything is going to be 404 because it's uploading the files in order from oldest to newest, but the files will all be there before you know it.

Note that this means google indexed pages will be at the same physical URL, even though the original forum software is no longer running. (I saved the actual html files)

Charles.

Thanks Charles! That explains a lot. I had the old URL on the bookmark tab for FF and I when I clicked it just now, I noticed the OLD landing page and there were new posts there!

I agree with the others - having a clickable linky on the 404 page would be helpful (as well as a META Refresh code snippet to push the viewer to the new forum landing page, say after 10 seconds or something. Just a thought).

Brian

·
Registered
762 Posts

Charles.
"Note that this means google indexed pages will be at the same physical URL, even though the original forum software is no longer running. (I saved the actual html files)"

I'm not finding this to be the case. Google search is turning up one link - its 404'd, if I go to the forum and find that thread the URL is different - the number in the URL is different. I'm assuming google will recrawl the site at some point afterwhich time the links from google search will work properly?

So for example- the quick reference thread -

google search one of the links was

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/183627/ShowPost.aspx

which is dead (404 error).

but if I go to the actual forum and browse and navigate to it - it works but the address is different

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/88078/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Note that this means google indexed pages will be at the same physical URL, even though the original forum software is no longer running. (I saved the actual html files)"

I'm not finding this to be the case. Google search is turning up one link - its 404'd, if I go to the forum and find that thread the URL is different - the number in the URL is different. I'm assuming google will recrawl the site at some point afterwhich time the links from google search will work properly?

but if I go to the actual forum and browse and navigate to it - it works but the address is different

Thanks to all of you who forwarded the new URL. I am here, still alive and kick'n Riding my 500T on days that I won't melt in the afternoon. Riding to work in the morning is very pleasant though. TurboDan

·
Administrator
1,771 Posts

Ugh, you're right. But I'm not sure if it's that the posts have moved, or if it's that the software i was using to back up the site missed a bunch of older posts. Dammit. And there is no longer any way to recover them if that is the case. Not easily, at least. I'll look into this... I know why it didn't get them all, but whether i can get the old forum turned back on for a couple days I'm not sure yet. Damn. damndamndamn. missing info pisses me off, i thought I was done already. Grr.

if I can get it back up, this time I'm going to write the software to download the friggin files.

Charles.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hey Charles!

Just my 2 cents but don't sweat the small stuff. You've already done an awesome job of getting this site up and running as well as archiving so much of the old site for our enjoyment. Any information that slipped through the cracks is very likely going to be on someones' hard drive or in their head somewhere and, as the need arises, will be ready to be shared again.

Cheers man!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Charles, seems to me that they have moved (renamed) - several other tests I have done sort of confirm this. Can discuss further via PM if you want. So when google recrawls the site it should set them straight again for the search results, right? I have been trying to make use of the old site when questions are popping up here on the new one, but its been a challenge to say the least.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Any updates on this Charles as far as what may have happened? General discussion pages only go back to page 19. Pages 20 - pages 52 of the general discussion is gone. Definitely some significant loss of data somehow/somewhere

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.