Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never having owned a liquid cooled bike, let alone a vintage one, what happens if that system needs to be replaced. Radiator? Pump? I have a good indie Honda shop I go to here in Omaha but their response was the classic, "If you can find the parts....". Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
No problems!

The only part to worry about is the water pump mechanical seal. Easily replaced / repaired! Lots of info here! Second would be the cooling fan. I´ve never had a fan "explode" (as they can, if not being checked from time to time). I´ve owned / own 8 CX / GL 500:s and been riding them for something like 160 000 kms. Only one of my bikes (166000 km) had a fan come apart (previous owner) which took out the radiator too (which would probably be rather close to "worst case mechanical failure).

All parts (except maybe rubber hoses - which seem to last forever) turn up quite frequently on the Bay. Thermostats, O-rings, radiator caps don´t need to be OEM. Many parts are still available through a (decent) Honda dealer. There are lots of other sellers too...

At least is that my experience.

I´ve stocked up on a couple of spare radiators, a couple of fans, a small pile of rubber hoses, etc. so I feel totally safe in that department.

Of course freak things can happen, like impellers coming loose. Brutal wrenching may cause problems too (snapped cam shafts (water pump end)), cracked parts. Etc, etc...

All in all - a safe system which I wouldn´t like my CX to be without... It´s one of the things that make the CX so very durable and long-lived. And being able to take quite a lot of punishment.

Sture

1 - 2 of 2 Posts