Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi wondering if any one can advise i have seen a link to download u.s version of workshop manual does anyone have a link for uk version is there a difference or if there isnt a link advice on where to purchase one thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the reply I have recently bought a 1982 cx 500 trike. and having not owned a bike since early 90s I am out of touch with things although a car mechanic so not to worried about things but do want to get to know about my cx so i can maintain it properly and fix one or two issues it has i.e tacho not working, temp gauge not working and small oil leak from in at back above clutch casing i think. wish me luck lol

·
Super Moderator
20,310 Posts
Motofaction says your engine is from a euro.

But it doesn't list your frame number which most closely resembles an 82 custom., but isn't actually listed on the site.

Usually the model is on the steering neck data plate.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So are engines the same am i right in thinking the cx500 is the predecessor of the gl500 or is there more differences

·
Super Moderator
20,310 Posts
Same engine.

You have transisterised ignition.

Not sure whether the camchain tensioners are auto or manual on the UK model.

Here any motor with transisterised ignition is auto tensioned but the US GL is TI and manual tensioned.

·
Super Moderator
13,428 Posts
To clarify: the CX500 as introduced in '78 came with twin shock rear suspension and Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI). The GL500, GL500I (Interstate) and CX500E (Eurosport but I believe just called "Sport" in the UK) came with Honda's Pro-Link monoshock rear suspension (rising rate linkage) and Transistor amplifier Ignition (TI or TAI).
If your engine came from a CX500E it should be identical to one from a GL500 except that the nameplates screwed to the sides will say "CX500" instead of "GL500".

BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as your UP paperwork will show) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

Oh, and we really like to see pics of bikes here so

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you just replacedfork seal and all brake pads to get it mot'd now going to give it an overhaul and become familiar with as much as I can , it still has a few issues temp gauge not working, tacho not working and small oil leak as well as some paintworkhence why I'm trying to get as much info as possible

1 - 16 of 16 Posts