Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting what I need to get my bike up and running for the summer in a few weeks. So I decide to fix a few minor leaks in the coolant system, and install the new cdi that I bought in the group buy earlier this year. Wahl replacing the o-rings I notice a leak coming from the coolant pump itself. (----Good Idea---- Fix it because I have all the parts.)So I go to town with my good idea.

In the process I notice that a few of the bolts are rusty. (----Another good idea---- Fix it. again I have all the parts.) The last bolt proved to be a pain. After a good turn it frees itself. (----Bad Idea---- Being optimistic with a 29yearold engine) I pull out half the bolt. Ok well small road block (----Good idea---- Fix it. I have a spare engine and I have taps dies and extractors)

So I’m cleaning up the sealing surface looking for the leak. Check the gasket everything looks good. I go to the rear casing trying to find out where the hell this leak is coming from. TAAAADDAAAAA it’s a weep hole located just under the pump housing which is not easy to see when everything is put together.

Moral of the story is Look before you unbolt, you my just get screwed.

Now I have to drop the engine to fix something that really was not broken in the first place.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The bright side is that you'd have had to pull that cover off anyhow. There's no way to extract the broken bolt with the engine in place?

Hopefully you have lots of nickles and dimes lying around.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
How much came out? Not a high stress area, if you can use a shorter bolt and still engage several threads you should be OK.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marshallf3

no i cant bring myself to do that even if i could. It broke so that it is almost even with the caseing. A friend in my gaurd unit is letting me barrow a better extractor set than what i have and i plan on having it out on monday.

Linny

Yeah the engine has to come out. The frame is blocking me from getting a good line on the center of the bolt. As stated im lucky to have an extra engine that i can pull parts from if i need them.

I was thinking of just cracking the whole thing open anyway to get a good look at whats going on insided. I beleve i will have to replace the rear mechanicial seal due to the trail of oil coming out the weep hole. I dont know if i want to do that now or later though.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,055 Posts
I beleve i will have to replace the rear mechanicial seal due to the trail of oil coming out the weep hole. I dont know if i want to do that now or later though.
You need to replace the oil seal behind the mech seal, plus the mech seal while you have it apart.

R

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It broke so that it is almost even with the caseing. A friend in my gaurd unit is letting me barrow a better extractor set than what i have and i plan on having it out on monday.
Nothing worse than a cheap extractor, in my experience they usually break off in the hole then you're really screwed.

By all means get that mech seal replaced, a forum member named Doward usually has group buys on them and occasionally has a few left over.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Agree with Randall. If it was coming out the weep hole it really was broke. It needed to come apart. So it wasn't for not. Get it over with and forget about it.

Shalom,

Michael

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pro tips guys. I will pick up the seal asap. I guess this is a good thig seeing as how the shift lever seal is starting lo leak. It looked suspisious last year and i picked up a multiples on accident. The universe works in strange ways i guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts