Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1981 GL500I died a few days ago when I was getting ready to pull out onto the road.

It won't show a neutral lite (or any lights)and the lights flickered before it died. It was running well the last time I took it out.

The battery is in good shape. It's new and the cells read well. All the connections are clean.

Any ideas? My thoughts are an ignition switch (it's not/wasn't nearly as nice as the one on my CX or on the 82 GL500) It was like the key didn't fit in tightly. It hadn't shorted out before, but my keys didn't have to stay in it either.

Marty

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I was on the forum before, but when I tried to sign in, it said no. I am thinking that it was the changeover. I have had them for a number of years now. grin, and thanks. Marty

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I thought I was on the forum before, but when I tried to sign in, it said no. I am thinking that it was the changeover. I have had them for a number of years now. grin, and thanks. Marty
Can you please put your location in your avatar, as there may be someone near you that could help you with your problem if need be.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Could be a faulty earth/ground wire. Or a main fuse like Allan suggested. Could also be your ignition, it's hard to diagnose over the "net".

Welcome back.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
My 1981 GL500I died a few days ago when I was getting ready to pull out onto the road.

It won't show a neutral lite (or any lights)and the lights flickered before it died. It was running well the last time I took it out.

The battery is in good shape. It's new and the cells read well. All the connections are clean.

Any ideas? My thoughts are an ignition switch (it's not/wasn't nearly as nice as the one on my CX or on the 82 GL500) It was like the key didn't fit in tightly. It hadn't shorted out before, but my keys didn't have to stay in it either.

Marty
hi Marty,i remember you,welcome back....try to start your bike via the hot wire,it can bypass parts with issues

http://www.genebitsystems.com/david/MotorcyclePrep/hotwire.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I got waylaid at a training, will work on it tonight when it cools down some. It's still over 90* here and for me that is hot. need to get it fixed so I can take her home. It's not that I mind the truck and the trailer, just love the bikes so much more. Waiting on the hagon shock before i finish getting ready to head home on the 24th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.