Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its sunday. my day to work on the bike. i wheeled it into the front driveway. started great. had to reset the idle speed and air/screws but it was running perfect. so i squeezed the clutch lever. kicked it into first gear to start checking some other things. i intentionally stalled the bike to check at which point in the lever operation the clutch fully engages. the only safety device i have is the neutral postiion switch. so i kicked the lever up, the light didnt come on. so i released the clutch and pushed the bike a little bit. first gear was still engaged and it won't release. i thought maybe it was clutch cable adjustment so i spent the last hour trying to adjust it. i only made it worse now the clutch cable is all f'd up and i still can't release 1st gear. the last time this happened i let it sit and hour and it was able to disengage. that may have just been coincidence. theres no question i have a clutch problem but i don't know where to begin. any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Did you try rocking it back and forth with out using the clutch and then trying the shifter?
as don said,you should not need a clutch cable to get your bike into neutral.just sit on iit,tap down while pushing foward,and rocking

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I agree with the two gentlemen above. No clutch needed to get it into neutral, with engine off and a gentle toe under the shift lever.

But, if you, like me, several years ago, happen to have a damaged / cracked / weak gear shifter lever, funny things can happen. Mine was cracked on the underside (which I didn´t know), hence suddenly only downshifts were possible. I was abroad on my way home with my son as passenger. It happened downtown Krakow (Poland) late Saturday afternoon. Luckily I was pointed to a nice guy in a garage in the outskirts of K, who welded the two pieces (they had separated at that time) of my shifter lever together, so I could use it on my way home. Nice guy! Saved me a lot of grief!!

Either that, or you have managed to bend a fork, inside the gear box, now if it shifted smoothly before.

Or - like a friend of mine had - there is a loose part (metal fragment - in his case a broken tappet adjuster) "floating around" inside the engine rear cover, which occasionally interferes with the shifter mechanism inside. Probably not, in your case.

Or - you don´t have the gear shifter lever correctly positioned on the axle splines, and have been marginally OK until now. Does the lever make contact with the heat shield?? It shouldn´t!

As far as my thinking goes..

Sture

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i agree with sture check the line up on splines i had the same problem turned out that the bolt on the shifter was loose which caused it so move down a little and there for not letting me shift at all 15 miles in first gear not fun......did the same thing your sayin lowlife so thats just a heads up

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rocked it back and forth a little bit and it disengaged. now it seems to be working fine. everything was good to go and the bike was good and ready until about 5 minutes ago when i went to put it back in the garage i hit one of the posts on my house (i was only pushing it) and knocked my lic. plate bracket off. it was poorly welded on to begin with. i'll screw it or rivet it in place later and welded it later than that. my wife said the funniest thing to me too just now. i was moving the bike and she said "you know i'm suprised with how good it looks" my response was "thanks... i think"

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wonder what she was thinking. You just damaged the bike and she liked what she saw??? I thought that part was funny. Glad the bike unjammed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cleared off the plate bracket just after she said she liked it. its back on with a few pop rivets. i'll weld it on later. i still have to redo the welds on the rear fender and i might weld in another strut bar on the left side of the bike for symetry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.