Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 1979 Honda cx500 custom. I have had different issues with it, but right now it won't leave neutral. The shift pedal moves, the neutral light goes off, but it won't go into any gears. No grinding or anything. 10 minutes before it was able to go into first and move. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked it. Was tight. There is liquid (looks like oil) that has accumulated around this area though.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Does it sound like anythings moving? Maybe check under the drive shaft boot and see if maybe you lost the bolt.

Have you tried rocking the bike back and forth without using the clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bolt is there and tight. It sounds like it is changing gears but nothing happens except the light will go on if it is in neutral. i can start the bike and move it without using clutch lever in any gear (not sure if it is actually changing gears).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, under further inspection the bolt is missing from the driveshaft. you were right blindstitch. thanks. i have no idea where it went? seems like it needs to be a special bolt that is tapered at the end?

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
Yes, it's a special bolt that only has about 5 mm. or so of thread right up against the head and then smoothly radiused at the other end.

Maybe a PO forgot to put it back but have you checked in the boot and the swingarm driveshaft tube?

You need to check it's not still in there as for 1 you should be able to reuse it if you can find it and 2 you really don't want that bolt hanging around in there.

Reccomend pulling the rear wheel and final drive. pulling out the driveshaft and having a good clean and a look around in there.

Good chance for a complete regrease too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts