Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--

Just wanted to get some input on an issue I'm having. While riding my '78 cx500 at highway speeds (~70-80mph) if I hit a bump or the wind shoves me from the side, the front of the bike will start wobbling / snaking down the highway until it stabilizes again. I am strongly leaning towards it being a tire issue (and maybe a mix of a front shock issue) due to the fact that my rear tire is so squared off it looks like a car tire with a bulging sidewall 馃槀. While yes, I am due for tires, I would assume this would cause stability issues?

Also, I have to drop the motor out of the frame again to replace the rear cover gasket due to a persistent oil leak from the rear left corner (not the shifter seal) and to have my carbs checked over by murray. Anything I should check while the bike is off the road? The frame has ~60k miles on it, and I keep telling myself it prolly due for some crazy service soon...

Registered
Check your swing arm bearings i would think?

Registered
yes all of the above....but you did state that the tyres are squared off....that'll often do it.....and at 90mph...things get exaggerated/magnified.....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of what they said^^^

And while the engine is out & apart have a look at the stator and the camchain & guides.
how would i go about checking the bearings?

the engine was swapped from a 500 to a 650. i just did the swap, so i know the chain and stator is good

yes all of the above....but you did state that the tyres are squared off....that'll often do it.....and at 90mph...things get exaggerated/magnified.....
hey now, i said 70-80, not 90 lol. the bike feels too sketchy at those speeds.

Registered
Cx500 1978 engine probably later
I had a BSA 650 spitfire which had been raced and was fitted with a steering damper, made it feel very stable at speed - thinking of putting one on the CX - fork rake angle plays a big part - less rake = easier to manoeuvre, more rake = more stable - it's a trade off.
Just a thought - defo go through all the other suggestions first.

Registered
how do i go about checking the swing arm bearings?
There are more capable people on here to answer that question but i'll take a stab at it. With the shocks disconnected, move the swingarm up/down through it's range of motion and listen for any unusual noise and/or a rough or binding feeling. If your prop shaft is still connected make sure any anomalies are from swingarm and not the U-joint. Hopefully others will chime in.

Super Moderator

Registered
1 - 13 of 13 Posts