Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am really cutting the mustard and I take some more aggressive turns at anything above 70mph my bike shucks back and forth. The handle bars wiggle and if I accelerate in the turn it will only get worse. The only thing to do is slow down. My front forks have new seals, good rubber front and back with recommended tire pressure. The steering head bearings are tight. I am running about 10psi in the front forks. My rear prolink does squeak when I hit bumps. What could cause this?

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
I don't own prolink bikes but from reading on these forums you are probably going to have to dismantle and grease your prolink setup as they don't like to be neglected.

I'm sure those in the know will enlighten you as to what you need to do and what handling problems these can cause.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think our bikes were really designed to take "aggressive" turns at over 70mph....just sayin
VERY true! Mine does pretty well now, but I have lowered it a LOT and changed the suspension entirely. They can be made to handle fairly well, but without major modifications.....you might just have to slow it down in the corners.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to do that turn at 80.
i figured this would turn into a discussion on driver resposibility before i got any suspension advice. LOL

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I think I'd get a little wobbly cutting corners at 75mph too...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I think I'd get a little wobbly cutting corners at 75mph too...
agree.

OP.you do realise you have a 30 year old cruiser,not a 2011 kawi........

bottom line,corses for horses

·
Registered
254 Posts
I used to do that turn at 80.
i figured this would turn into a discussion on driver resposibility before i got any suspension advice. LOL
Are you saying that your bike used to handle better and now something changed and it handles worse? That would be a differnt case all together...

·
Registered
851 Posts
This a very telling thread. I would check everything even the items you think are already in good condition. I always start with the tires. Beside the pressures, check balance, alignment. Your shocks could be suspect. Maybe not likely but you could also check for a broken weld? Swingarm pivot loose or worn? In one of his books Keith Code says " your bike should never scare you" I take that as meaning it should act predictably and your's in this case is not, work to find the problem. I have "test corners'' too.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
837 Posts
My first bike - Honda 350 - back in 1971 was notorious for the wobble in higher speed corners. I never owned the bike long enough to find out why. My current ride does not seem to exhibit those characteristics.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I am really cutting the mustard and I take some more aggressive turns at anything above 70mph my bike shucks back and forth. The handle bars wiggle and if I accelerate in the turn it will only get worse. The only thing to do is slow down. My front forks have new seals, good rubber front and back with recommended tire pressure. The steering head bearings are tight. I am running about 10psi in the front forks. My rear prolink does squeak when I hit bumps. What could cause this?
I don't think you mentioned if you had a handlebar-mounted windshield. If yes, then try the curve without it. Otherwise, I'd check to see that the triple trees are properly tight, especially the steering stem nut. Others can give their opinions, but I always tighten it pretty snug, then loosen 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Any number or combination of things could come into play: (in no particular order)

1) Tires (more than you might think, even the pressures can alter handling)

2) Rim slightly out of true

3) Forks need service and/or changed to 15W or 20W fork oil

4) Weak rear shocks

5) Steering bearing

6) Misaligned front or rear

7) Wheel(s) out of balance

I'd check all that out, if the problem persists plunk down $100 for a Tarozzi fork brace.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd suspect the fork oil, I've had that issue here and there, but it's been an on again off again, it'll do it for a month, then be good for a while... I think my front wheel is out of balance, I changed tires myself and haven't had it balanced, and it does hop a little at higher speeds, I'm just not sure where I can get it balanced cheap, my friend owns a car shop, so I can do my girls tires for free, and get parts at about a 90% discount most of the time, but it doesn't help with bikes too much...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Any wobble on curves is in my opinion and experience:

1. Head bearings

2. Tires

3. Fork brace

4. Frame flex

Of course driver nerves can come into play also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.