Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first time poster here so if you need more info just ask. I have a 1982 cx500 custom. I have an LED headlight with integrated turn signals that I am trying to get to work. The main three prong plug works perfectly for the high and low beams. It's the remaining wires I'm having an issue with. I know which wires connect where but it seems as the wiring is "backwards". On the bike,with key on engine off, both turn signal wires (orange and blue) have constant power. The power only shuts off to that signal wire when the switch is set to the corresponding position. (power to the left signal wire turns off when I flip the left turn signal switch on ect...) When I plug my new light all up the turn signals stay on. Is there a way I can reverse this or do I need to fully rewire?
Thanks for you time, I know it was a long read.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,684 Posts
Your stock turn signals function as both running lights and turn signals. The running lights are on whenever the key is in the on position, but turn off when the signal for that side is turned on. It sounds like you are connecting your new light unit to the running light wires rather than to the turn signal wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your stock turn signals function as both running lights and turn signals. The running lights are on whenever the key is in the on position, but turn off when the signal for that side is turned on. It sounds like you are connecting your new light unit to the running light wires rather than to the turn signal wires.
Would you know what colors these other wires would be?

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
If wiring is stock:

Solid orange and l. blue are the signals
The orange and l. blue with white tracer bands are the running lights.
The bands may have come off. A DMM would be your best bet to identify correct wires .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.