Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to get the signals to work on my bike. I had a short somewhere that blew fuses the instant the power was turned on. I took it to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong. So today I tore it down and I found the short is in the neutral light switch. So I disconnected that and the fuses quit blowing.

I finally got the brake lights working and the horn. The only thing left is the turn signals. I was told I had a bad switch, but I have two others and both of them behave the same way. I have traced the wiring down completely and the only thing I haven't done is to cut all the wrapping off the wiring harness.

I replaced the blinker relay with a new one. Figured it might be bad and tried a third one I had on hand.

I can't find any shorts or any opens anywhere. Anyone got any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
on your 82,i think the wires split from the loom at your seat.with a multi meter,are you getting your 12 volts there ok?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On which wires? I am getting the proper voltage for the brake light, but nothing for the signals.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
this doesnt sound right at all

Short in the neutral light switch?

thay all go short every time you put the bike into neutral

as the switch closes the circuit to ground through the neutral lamp.

Shorting the neutral switch cable to deck is part of a test procedure

and its never blown fuses for me.

Dunno what spec bike you're talking about so cant really make any detailed comment

but bad neutral switch sounds wrong to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts