Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just picked up a basket case 82 gl500. Missing the key ignition and solenoid. A few other wires were cut. Bought an ebay ignition and when splicing the wires, I have an extra black wire on the switch. Any ideas?
Also, I hooked the solenoid to the battery and starter. Where is a good spot for the battery ground to go? Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Did you download the factory service manual linked all over this site? It has wiring schematics that will show you what's what

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. The layered one. Has helped out quite a bit. But I have a couple wires that I'm having difficulty tracking. This bike has sat since 1998 with only 7800 miles. (Owner died) . But there are a couple green wires above the airbox that were cut, and I'm trying to find where they go. Just a long process. Not really good with electrical, so this is all a learning experience. That's why I was asking about the battery ground. There was none, so I made one, and wasn't sure of a good contact spot.

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
On your bike all green wires are ground wires

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's odd, I've never seen a fuse on a ground wire. Was it added in by someone?

My ground wire goes to the lower mounting bolt of the starter

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, just picked up a basket case 82 gl500. Missing the key ignition and solenoid. A few other wires were cut. Bought an ebay ignition and when splicing the wires, I have an extra black wire on the switch. Any ideas?
Also, I hooked the solenoid to the battery and starter. Where is a good spot for the battery ground to go? Thanks in advance fellas.
Hey, i seen a guy from the CB forums when i was dealing with the electrical on my bike myself.
happens that you both are having the same problem but he made a thread and they came up with a solution, all his wires were cut too and none of the
electrical component where there are not right as he mentioned.

here is the link

·
Registered
103 Posts
If your GL500 is like mine, the wires you're referring to are aux wiring and you can probably just tape them off and let them dangle. That's what i did and it's been fine.

Part of the confusion within the thread may be that the wire with the inline fuse is green/black rather than just green (ground) as you describe. Below is a pic of mine.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Super Moderator
14,560 Posts
When describing wire colours you need to be very specific because there are huge differences in which circuit various wire colours are used for.
The wires shown in sacruicshank's pic are one green wire and one LIGHT green wire with a black stripe (usually referred to as "light green/black"), which the colour wiring drawing (available from the CX Wiki - link in my signature) clearly indicates is the accessory connection (they are supposed to have bullet connectors, a female on the live one and a male on the ground).

Please clean the dirt from the wires and re-take the pic in post #10 but from farther away so we can see more of where the wires go.
What I see in that pic (from top to bottom) is:
  • a green wire with male bullet connector, probably accessory ground connection
  • a white/green wire with damaged insulation and a female bullet (that is missing the insulation - this should be fixed), which I suspect should go to the brake light switch
  • The light green/red wire from the neutral switch plugged into the mating wire coming out of the harness
  • an unknown green wire with the end stripped that I cannot see the other end of (looks like it is above the wire going into the fuse holder but both are too dirty to see clearly and the important part is beyond the edge of the image)
  • green wire from fuse holder. It looks like someone has replaced the light green/black wire that comes out of the fuse holder for the accessory to connect to with a solid green wire (the end of which disappears over the side of the bike). If I am right about that it should be replaced with a more suitably coloured wire if only so that you don't think it is supposed to he green and ground it (which will, at best, blow the fuse, at worst result in damaged wiring).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts