Honda CX 500 Forum banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
My RE dealer gave me good advice (They are long time sidecar/dog people.)
I spent the first week just walking her around the rig. At the end of that, we practicing getting in. At first, with a stool or crate. After that, then start the bike and walk around it a couple days. Then, get her in and start the bike a couple times. Then, a short ride around the block.
All this done with ample favorite treats.
If they are strapped in properly, they can't jump out. I have an eyebolt on the floor, just ahead of the seat cushion. A carabiner (When I did Search & Rescue with my first akita, we use climbing carabiners to attached the dogs to the Helicopter safety belt). on the front of her harness and motorcycle tie down Rok Strap connected to the eyebolt and one to the motorcycle. She can lean on me but can't lean out the far side. I also took out the back and bottom seat cushions and put in a dog bed so she would sit deeper in the car.

ROK Straps ROK-10358 Black/Reflective 12" - 42" Pack Adjustable Stretch Strap
Amazon.com

@Fafnir

I have a Chow mix that would love this I think, if he wouldn't be freaked out by the bike itself. Your videos deserve more views!

View attachment 211271

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Oops! Double posted!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,752 Posts
It's easier when you have kids. The kid gets in the sidecar and calls the dog and the dog wants to be with the kid so it gets in too. When the kid doesn't get upset by the motor starting the dog isn't more than startled (& then only the first time).
As I said, Sandy was just 6 weeks old when we brought her home in the sidecar. The sidecar I had then had a fixed windshield and a tonneau type cover (no full top) so Liz (about 9 or 10 at the time) took the squirmy puppy who had just met us in the sidecar and I put the cover on so just her head stuck out and she held & played with the pup under the cover. After that Sandy got excited whenever she saw the sidecar.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts