21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
A GL1000 running on three cylinders????

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Waterproof=windproof is so true. A couple of times in cold weather on long rides when my low cost gear just wasn’t up to the task of keeping me safely warm (a lower standard than comfortably warm) a rain jacket saved the day. Back when I didn’t have ANY dedicated bike garments. The good old days, heh heh. 😬

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I've had a pinlock shield sitting in the closet for a couple of years and finally put it on, I couldn't believe how well it work!!! I wouldn't have waited so long had i known how well they worked. :rolleyes:
Given that it doesn't generally snow in Oz, when its cold round the city I usually just crack open the (ratcheted) visor and thats enough to stop the fogging and is (also) OK with light rain at slow speed...I'm guilty of the same thing storing the pin-lock given that they are not supposed to be used at night...might need to give it a try next winter.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,513 Posts
A GL1000 running on three cylinders????
I'm more thinking either a CB750 with Interstate fairing (or even a Vetter) and they just thought any Honda with any fairing is a GoldWing. Although you'd think someone would know what it was if they owned it....

when its cold round the city I usually just crack open the (ratcheted) visor and thats enough to stop the fogging and is (also) OK with light rain at slow speed..
That works if it is a bit cool but not for actual cold. I remember having to leave the shield of my first full helmet open a bit while moving (not too far or there would be a red mark on my cheek), open it wide as I stopped (if not it would be covered with frost immediately) and close it back to that crack open as I pulled away so that my face didn't freeze, this at anything much colder than freezing.

BTW: It hasn't been cold enough here yet for me to bother changing to the full helmet. I was comfortable on Monday when it was about 2 or 3c, not to mention today when it was a balmy 6. I think if I'd needed to go outside of our village I might have worn the warmer helmet, though.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
In response to #24...yup I know our winters aren't as cold as yours/USA- maybe that's why I havent had to use that pinlock til now. But the dictionary defines cold this way:
cold="of or at a low or relatively low temperature, especially when compared with the human body" So its subjective.😀

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I’m a snowmobiler too (vintage, newest sled is 22 years old) and ride down to 0 f sometimes, but I try not to get my seasons mixed up! Doesn’t take me 15 minutes to gear up to leave the driveway for a simple errand in the truck 😁. Each to there own, choice is a beautiful thing. My bikes are not sleeping yet, but they are getting more nap time. Ride On!
The sidecar really makes "gearing up" easier. So does proper gear. This is a bonus that never occured to me. Commuting with the 2-wheeler, there are gloomy or below freezing days when I would say, "The car is easier." But that never occurs with the sidecar rig.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I had my rainsuit in the pannier, just in case I wanted more wind protection, but I didn't need it.
I have a helmet on the shelf that has a pinlock shield attached. I might pull that out sometime this winter.
Before getting the Carhartt bibs, I kept the rain gear on the bike in case it got cold to put over my mesh pants. The mesh layer acts as an insulator and the raingear keeps the wind out.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm more thinking either a CB750 with Interstate fairing (or even a Vetter) and they just thought any Honda with any fairing is a GoldWing. Although you'd think someone would know what it was if they owned it....

That works if it is a bit cool but not for actual cold. I remember having to leave the shield of my first full helmet open a bit while moving (not too far or there would be a red mark on my cheek), open it wide as I stopped (if not it would be covered with frost immediately) and close it back to that crack open as I pulled away so that my face didn't freeze, this at anything much colder than freezing.

BTW: It hasn't been cold enough here yet for me to bother changing to the full helmet. I was comfortable on Monday when it was about 2 or 3c, not to mention today when it was a balmy 6. I think if I'd needed to go outside of our village I might have worn the warmer helmet, though.
I have a flip up plexi wing on my windscreen that works well in the rain. Normally in the folded position.
I have a pinlock too. I often crack my visor, not because it is fogged up but because my glasses are.

·
Super Moderator
17,513 Posts
I used to need to wear glasses for driving when I was younger but as I aged I no longer needed them for distance and eventually started to need glasses for reading instead. When I started winter biking I wore a 3/4 helmet and I added a 3 hole balaclava for winter, wore my glasses with that and lived with my face freezing. When the optometrist told me I no longer needed glasses for driving I went to the MOT to have it removed from my license the next day and bought a pair of ski goggles that would fit over my helmet on the way home.

The only glasses I wear on the bikes now are bifocal safety glasses and then usually only when I'm wearing an open helmet. I do keep a pair of them in the pocket of my jacket in the winter, though because sometimes you can't clear your helmet's shield as fast as the soft, sticky snow covers it; When that happens I put the glasses on and open the shield but lave it down just enough to keep most of the snow off of the glasses (it usually isn't too cold when the snow is sticky).

A breath box attaches to the inside of the helmet and directs your hot, moist breath out where it can't fog anything up.
I really like the convenience of a modular helmet, especially because it means I have a better chance of hearing what people in stores say to me without having to take it off when I'm only going to be inside for a couple of minutes. But it is a bit of a pain to open & close the chin bar of mine with the breath box attached so I don't bother with it unless it is cold enough that I want to have the shield fully closed and I'm going far enough to make the hassle worthwhile.
But when it is -30c and I have to drive half an hour to another town at 80+ Kmh I'm very glad to have it.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Gerbings heated gear, Tourmaster synergy, I think there was a company called Wider that made a heated vest. Melody has one where ever she keeps it. Once I went to electrics I won't go back.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have an old Wider heated vest that still works perfect. I love that thing. Takes up almost zero space when folded and packed in a side case and does a great job keeping me warm when needed. If I lived where I could keep riding when it turned cold I would probably go for full heated gear, but I get too much snow where I live so bikes are parked for most of the winter.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Took my Akita Momo to get a burger. No wind, only in the high 30°Fs so just wore flannel lined Jeans and a hoodie under my leather jacket. Leather gauntlets. Put the rain cover up with only the motorcycle door open. She seemed to like the top up.
Video later.

·
Super Moderator
17,513 Posts
Heated gear is fine if you have the power to run it but I found out a long time ago that 252W of alternator (from what I can find online Lee's Interceptor's alternator may have even less output) powering bike and sidecar headlights (it gets dark early and the 2nd headlight makes a big difference), ignition, a stereo and handlebar heaters doesn't leave much for charging let alone heated gear.
On the other hand, if a snowmobile suit can keep a sledder warm when they are cruising around at speed on a frozen lake in the middle of the night (as we used to hear them doing at our old house) it should keep me warm on a bike too. And it does as long as it isn't -30c out there, and even then adding a sweatshirt is enough to keep my torso warm so it's really only my hands that get cold (if I had to go out when it is that cold more often I'd start using my big bubble/foil insulated handlebar muffs again).

It was -3c/27f when I left to get some groceries yesterday and I knew I'd be doing 80-100 Kmh most of the way so I decided to wear my full winter gear for the first time of the season. It had dropped to -5c by the time I got home and I was glad of the insulated suit. Either I'm at the age where I'm starting to feel the cold more or I'm just not acclimatized to it yet ;-)
I've been working on a camera mount for Eccles and it is close to as good as I can do so I also took video and will probably post it later today.

Lee, have you thought about something to keep the wind off of your hands when it gets colder? If you won't be out in really cold (below -25c/-15f) very often and mostly at around town speeds or short runs at higher speeds a set of Ural/Dnepr hand guards like I have on Eccles might be enough. They are a lot deeper than most motorcycle hand guards, probably because they were designed for use on Dnepr sidecar outfits that were driven in cold weather.
Note that they do not include hardware and some modification sill be required to adapt them to fit your bike (they were designed to fit Dneprs with cable operated front brakes so they need modification to fit Urals with disc brakes too). When I installed mine I needed a heat gun for minor re-shaping, a couple of easy to fabricate brackets (I actually had some from something else that were close enough), a drill (bolt holes) and some hardware. Let me know and I can post some pics of how I made mine fit.

This is a very good deal

I wouldn't be surprised if the free shipping was a mistake because he has the same thing listed with a shipping charge

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Heated gear is fine if you have the power to run it but I found out a long time ago that 252W of alternator (from what I can find online Lee's Interceptor's alternator may have even less output) powering bike and sidecar headlights (it gets dark early and the 2nd headlight makes a big difference), ignition, a stereo and handlebar heaters doesn't leave much for charging let alone heated gear.
On the other hand, if a snowmobile suit can keep a sledder warm when they are cruising around at speed on a frozen lake in the middle of the night (as we used to hear them doing at our old house) it should keep me warm on a bike too. And it does as long as it isn't -30c out there, and even then adding a sweatshirt is enough to keep my torso warm so it's really only my hands that get cold (if I had to go out when it is that cold more often I'd start using my big bubble/foil insulated handlebar muffs again).

It was -3c/27f when I left to get some groceries yesterday and I knew I'd be doing 80-100 Kmh most of the way so I decided to wear my full winter gear for the first time of the season. It had dropped to -5c by the time I got home and I was glad of the insulated suit. Either I'm at the age where I'm starting to feel the cold more or I'm just not acclimatized to it yet ;-)
I've been working on a camera mount for Eccles and it is close to as good as I can do so I also took video and will probably post it later today.

Lee, have you thought about something to keep the wind off of your hands when it gets colder? If you won't be out in really cold (below -25c/-15f) very often and mostly at around town speeds or short runs at higher speeds a set of Ural/Dnepr hand guards like I have on Eccles might be enough. They are a lot deeper than most motorcycle hand guards, probably because they were designed for use on Dnepr sidecar outfits that were driven in cold weather.
Note that they do not include hardware and some modification sill be required to adapt them to fit your bike (they were designed to fit Dneprs with cable operated front brakes so they need modification to fit Urals with disc brakes too). When I installed mine I needed a heat gun for minor re-shaping, a couple of easy to fabricate brackets (I actually had some from something else that were close enough), a drill (bolt holes) and some hardware. Let me know and I can post some pics of how I made mine fit.

This is a very good deal

I wouldn't be surprised if the free shipping was a mistake because he has the same thing listed with a shipping charge
THanks Bob! Yes, I want more hand protection. The wings on my windshield are low because it mounts over the headlight that is low compared to my GLs.

I probably won't take long trips this winter. Better to break in me, the bike and my dog in more temperate weather. So I have time to experiment. I will check out your links.I will practice sleeping situations in the back yard with my dog. Best to figure it out close to home.

I did get the Big Agnes Echo Park sleeping bag system. Very roomie. It is rated to -20*F.
Instead of bottom insulation, you put an inflatable pad in a pocket on the bottom. I have pads from my Hammock that should work. Also a R9 inflatable foam pad to go under that. Will test it in the backyard. The sidecar enables me to bring the dog so I have to rethink the hammock. I may bring the hammock and the tent. Will experiment in the backyard. She could fit in the sidecar to sleep if I could put the bike and car under the hammock tarp if she is willing. But best to bring the tent too.

I made another video of Momo in the sidecar. Need to edit it. She rides well with the top up. I roll the bike side door up so she can stick her head out on my side.

Wood Artifact Cylinder Fashion accessory Font

·
Super Moderator
17,513 Posts
It might be a good idea to check with the people that sell the top for your sidecar about driving with the door open.
I was advised it is OK to have the doors open on my tops at in town speeds but I should keep them closed at speeds much over that because the wind could damage them. I know I can feel a lot more pull even if the passenger opens the zipper a few inches at 80 Kmh or faster.

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
499 Posts
Reactions: Fafnir

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It might be a good idea to check with the people that sell the top for your sidecar about driving with the door open.
I was advised it is OK to have the doors open on my tops at in town speeds but I should keep them closed at speeds much over that because the wind could damage them. I know I can feel a lot more pull even if the passenger opens the zipper a few inches at 80 Kmh or faster.
I probably won't get out of town this winter. As Momo gets more used to the sidecar and used to wearing googles, I'll mostly have the top down. Right now, she seems more settled with the top up.

We are going to the Early Election Center today so the supervisors who are still working can meet her and I'll take them some ice cream.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I am reframing the video I put up yesterday. It is in the square form and I will change it to be wider, to do full screen.
Outerwear Motor vehicle Automotive tire Helmet Vehicle

Attachments

21 - 40 of 58 Posts