Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that Carhartt was a better value for winter Riding than motorcycle gear. Coat is their blizzard coat and overhauls their stiff and lose insulated bibs, with doubled fabric at the knees that can accommodate knee pads.
The overalls come in an XXXL short. Motorcycle pants typically are 6" or more too long in the leg. My tailor modifided my mesh pants to fit. These were fine from the store.
I wear a yellow reflective vest over the coat.
Glasses Hairstyle Picture frame Vision care Eyewear

Reactions: Gerard

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Years ago Bellstaffs, oiled cotton were the go to.....the std cut wasnt really bike specific e.g. used by hunters etc. ...though later a tourmaster was made popular....so non bike gear might work well......
Btw...now belstaffs are making a comeback with the "retro" crowd.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Which part of this is fun? 😁

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
500 Posts
My 1st "winter riding suit" was a BERCO winter insulated canvas construction coveralls, and I still have it, lol!

Reactions: Fafnir

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which part of this is fun? 😁
I'm a Minnesotan. "The Frozen Chosen."
Did you know that people around here ride snowmobiles in the winter? :sneaky:
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Years ago Bellstaffs, oiled cotton were the go to.....the std cut wasnt really bike specific e.g. used by hunters etc. ...though later a tourmaster was made popular....so non bike gear might work well......
Btw...now belstaffs are making a comeback with the "retro" crowd.
I was considering Snowmobile gear too. But I think the Carthartt is more durable.
I may get a snowmobile helmet eventually.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,229 Posts

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I had 50 miles of sub-freezing bliss on Sunday afternoon. I put the quilted liner in my old Fieldsheer all-season pants for that, along with a heavy fleece under the coat and a thin gator around my neck. Toasty warm!
I was thinking during that ride. People in Minnesota think nothing of riding snowmobiles in 20F weather. Why do they look at me cross-eyed when I show up on my motorcycle on a cold, clear day?

Reactions: Gerard and 65GTC

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
500 Posts
Most people are cagers, and just don't seem to get the appeal of motorcycles in general. A fair number also believe we only ride to get attention and to impress people for shock-value. They are also the ones who only know a motorcycle to be a Hardly-Ableson, and think Honda only made cars and dirt-bikes, lol!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had 50 miles of sub-freezing bliss on Sunday afternoon. I put the quilted liner in my old Fieldsheer all-season pants for that, along with a heavy fleece under the coat and a thin gator around my neck. Toasty warm!
I was thinking during that ride. People in Minnesota think nothing of riding snowmobiles in 20F weather. Why do they look at me cross-eyed when I show up on my motorcycle on a cold, clear day?
The sidecar makes the road surface challenges manageable. I think I mentioned the change in my mindset earlier: I don't think of it so much as recreational riding as I do utility riding.
I want to put some miles on the 2 wheelers before I tuck them in for the winter. As long as there is no standing snow and ice in the alley.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,525 Posts
The fun part is controlled slides on snowy roads.

The problem with snowmobiles & ATVs is that you have to get them to the trail before you can ride and for most people that requires a truck or trailer. And you have to wait until those trails are groomed (often by volunteers who have to go to work fires).
With a sidecar outfit your "trails" start at the end of your driveway and are professionally groomed (usually in time for people to get to work on them).

Is your Carhart suit waterproof? If not it will also let the wind through. You will really feel that at 80 Km/h (50 MPH).

When choosing winter bike gear remember the mantra "waterproof = windproof"

BTW: Snowmobile helmets are made to the same standards as motorcycle helmets (= legal for bike use) and are usually variants on bike helmet models but with extras like dual lens (anti fog) shields, breath boxes and skirts to keep the wind out that you will really appreciate when it is below -20c/-4f

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I’m a snowmobiler too (vintage, newest sled is 22 years old) and ride down to 0 f sometimes, but I try not to get my seasons mixed up! Doesn’t take me 15 minutes to gear up to leave the driveway for a simple errand in the truck 😁. Each to there own, choice is a beautiful thing. My bikes are not sleeping yet, but they are getting more nap time. Ride On!

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
They are also the ones who only know a motorcycle to be a Hardly-Ableson, and think Honda only made cars and dirt-bikes, lol!
I once had a pickup driver next to me at a traffic light tell me I had a "nice Harley." I thought he might have been drunk.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
When choosing winter bike gear remember the mantra "waterproof = windproof"
I had my rainsuit in the pannier, just in case I wanted more wind protection, but I didn't need it.
I have a helmet on the shelf that has a pinlock shield attached. I might pull that out sometime this winter.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've had a pinlock shield sitting in the closet for a couple of years and finally put it on, I couldn't believe how well it work!!! I wouldn't have waited so long had i known how well they worked. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,525 Posts
You never know what people think they are looking at. I've encountered a few over the years that told me they used to have a "750 GoldWing" too.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts