1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at least for today!

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

The Grub enjoyed the cold air this morning. She pulled like a draft horse.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sent from my phone, so not sure how to do it differently.
Plus, you'd see all of last fall's road grime still on it. 🙄

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sent from my phone, so not sure how to do it differently.
Plus, you'd see all of last fall's road grime still on it. 🙄
i believe you click the paperclip icon vs the image icon to get it posted as an attachment.

and it cant be any worse than mine. i havent properly washed mine in years 😅

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
@SirFoxx

right click on the image and select "open image in new tab", you'll see it full sized

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Nice looking bike Randall! What is the genesis of the nickname (if you don't mind me asking)

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When it was first released, someone in the British motorcycle press said the CX500 looked like a plastic maggot. (Certainly better than what the Germans called it.) Over the years, it became a term of endearment among enthusiasts, so you see nicknames like Maggie, Magdalena, etc.
Years ago, I started calling this one The Black Maggot. Later, I had intended to paint it green, at which point it would become The Green Grub. Since cooling on the green idea, it's been simply The Grub.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Gotch. I'm kind of partial to the black over the green color.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think black is overdone. I'm still considering a really cold sage color.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am so jealous. The snow has melted quite a bit in the last couple days but still snowed in at home. Hopefully next week I can make a trail to get the bike out. I am still performing maintenance on both bmw’s so the Silverwing will get full time duty. It’s all ready to go except for checking all the air pressures. It still has Larry’s winter lowers mounted so I am ready for all of Spring’s weather. I am so ready to be on a bike again, been a long winter for me.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It was great to get out this morning. Spring weather in Minnesota can be anything, so I might not get another chance for a while. Nimbus is in the shed and won't come out until the yard is clear and firm. (I rode it back there in a couple inches of snow, and would prefer not to repeat that.)
Do you find a significant difference with the winter lowers? They might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
“Significant” difference is hard to quantify but I feel a significant difference. I can’t really say I am warmer because I always dress for the occasion so I am warm anyways. They do take the wind off the lower legs and therefore protect them from the rain. When warm weather arrives and I take the lowers off I am always surprised on the first ride on how much wind turbulence there is below the knees. I honestly think if I wore just jeans in cool weather I would notice the lowers keeping me much warmer. The only downfall to the lowers is I have to remove the crash bar. In order to remove the crash bar I have to remove one of the headers. I can usually re-use the exhaust gaskets but I keep spares on hand just in case. This really isn’t that much of a downfall and can have them on or off and ready to ride in 20 minutes or so.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,692 Posts
FWIW, I didn't even bother to put my full winter "Rubbermaid lowers" on this winter. The only times I've been out long enough that I'd have missed them if it was really cold worked out to be on days when it was mild enough that I was comfortable in the snowmobile pants without the lowers.

The roads around here are clear enough that I could have gone out on 2 wheels yesterday if I could have made it down the driveway. I normally leave a couple of inches of packed snow on the driveway all winter so I don't have to rake half of the gravel out of the grass in the spring but right now there's a few inches of mostly loose snow over a layer of ice from when last week's rain soaked into what it didn't wash away.
They're calling for 12c/54f tomorrow with more rain and then a couple of inches of snow Monday so I guess I'd better clear as much as I can off of the ice today so the rain can wash some of it away instead of soaking into the snow again.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,692 Posts
Larry's should look like they belong because they are copied from genuine Honda accessory lowers. And I don't deny that they look nicer than mine because of that.
When I made mine I was most concerned about directing the heat from the engine & headers onto my legs when it is below -20c/-4f out and as long as they looked reasonably tidy that was good enough. And I still maintain that the Honda "winter" lowers are more "spring & fall" because all of the heat from the headers is lost with them.

BTW: I meant to mention that I'm even less enthusiastic lately about going out just for the sake of going for a ride than I am normally because the price of gas is up to $1.73 per litre ($5.14 $US per US gallon) here today and expected to jump to $1.84 ($5.47) tomorrow and even higher over the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We had freezing rain Friday night, then 4-5" of snow Saturday night. It was heavy and wet. Perfect snowman snow.
It's bright and sunny today, upper 20s. The roads should be dry just in time for the next round on Thursday. 😕
Oh, well. Early spring was fun while it lasted.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know your homemade rubbermaid lower offer fantastic protection but I think Larry’s lowers look better. They look like they belong on the Interstate.
View attachment 212437
I see, they supplement the standard lowers. I believe there are factory winter lowers that replace them, but they're very rare these days.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I see, they supplement the standard lowers. I believe there are factory winter lowers that replace them, but they're very rare these days.
Yes, here is a link to the thread Larry made while developing his lowers / copy of Honda lowers.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts