Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again everyone. I tried searching for this topic but couldnt seem to find what I was looking for, and I'm sure on a comprehensive forum like this one there must be a discussion about it floating around somewhere. I was wondering if it's possible to replicate the GL windshields from a piece of lexan or plexiglass? Mine is pretty badly scratched/scuffed, to the point that it makes night driving a little more hazardous than I'm really comfortable with (refracts almost every headlight/streelight). It seems like it's just a piece of plexi cut to that particular size and shape and then forced into the bend of the fairing by squishing it between the fairing itself and front trim plate.

Has anyone made their own and if so, what material did you use? I've done minimal plexi work before (truck cap window) and I know it can be a pain, but if I can spend some patience on a $20 piece of plexi and save $80 off a $100 windshield then I'm willing to give it a go.

I've taken the windshield off my bike and given it a good cleaning (a winter in the damp dusty garage of the PO was not kind to it) but its still terrible at night and makes riding during the day look like I'm constantly driving through light fog.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Until you get a better answer this is the stuff we use on Cockpit windows on Aircraft to take out sctraches.It's called Micromesh,

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICRO-MESH-MICR...326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bb980b66

Might take some elbow grease but might bring them back.Always use straight line rubbing with this stuff,not circular.Use dry and then metal polish/T-cut.You could use a car polisher with T-cut/rubbing compound as well,

I have one of these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-Mouse-Sander-/270317794980?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item3ef03236a4

that I just stick a microfibre cloth under and some polish,Then finish by hand.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I just bought a new slipstreamer windshield for $53 + $10 shipping off fleabay.

It is possible to make your own. You need to heat the plastic and bend it over a form to get the curve. In the 3/16 thickness you won't bend it without heat.

It is possible to revitalize your old one given enough elbow grease and the proper polishes.

I am going to be making my own windshields at some point, probably after I retire. No time now. I did heavily modify my own windshield setup SEE HERE

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Rhode, from your post it sounds like you're looking through and not over your wind screen? There are different opinions on this but if that's the case I would personally find a shorter screen that you can see over, I don't feel like its a safe thing looking through a windshield that doesn't have wiper blades.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i tried to buff it and used several polymers , got the haze out, good for daytime not so good at night. So went to a plexiglass place and i spent about 60 dlls so the shop cut it to size,, so far so good ... sorry don't know the thickness.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Until you get a better answer this is the stuff we use on Cockpit windows on Aircraft to take out sctraches.It's called Micromesh,

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item27bb980b66

Might take some elbow grease but might bring them back.Always use straight line rubbing with this stuff,not circular.Use dry and then metal polish/T-cut.You could use a car polisher with T-cut/rubbing compound as well,

I have one of these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3ef03236a4

that I just stick a microfibre cloth under and some polish,Then finish by hand.

PLUS ONE on this post. I have some Micromesh I could send you. PM me.

Acrylic is the key, so if the GL windshield is not acrylic, this may not be right. Always need to be careful with some of these plastics. That's why Rainex screws with most motorcycle windscreens. Even Windex can muck things up.

Joel in the Couve.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. To answer kingston, yes I'm looking through and not over the windshield, and very much so. I actually have to stand up straight on the bike to see over it (as I learned the hard way driving home in dense fog two times from work).

Its been a while since I got to get on the computer and get into the forums, so here's what I've been doing to remedy my windshield problems. Last week I took the thing off completely. The bike actually drives much nicer on the highway (pretty much eliminated any buffeting at speed), although the wind noise is quite loud. Today I cut the screen down to about half of what it was. It's a straight cut for now, but I think I'm going to cut a radius in it so it will look a little nicer. The "radius" is actually the aluminum nose trim that goes below the windshield, so the upper and lower lines of the windshield will match when it is installed. I think it should look nice. I'll post some pics after its done.

By the way, I found a pretty easy way to get "fog" out of the windshields by accident. It seems that lightly brushing it with a blow torch will clear up the fog. Scratches will still have to be buffed out though.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Interesting "accidental" discovery. Wait till I tell the guys at work who buff for hours with all sorts of things to get the fogging out of airplane light lenses and cabin windows.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting "accidental" discovery. Wait till I tell the guys at work who buff for hours with all sorts of things to get the fogging out of airplane light lenses and cabin windows.

Not quite sure how permanent this "fix" is, but I tried it on the piece of the windshield that I was going to throw away and it seemed to work. Maybe I'll leave it out in the sun for a few days and see if the fogging comes back. I was pretty surprised though when I tried it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.