Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove some scratches (no gouges) from my fairing windshield. Most of them are small and fairly shallow. I have tried the following with mixed results:

Aluminum polish (mothers)

Car wax (turtle wax)

Tooth paste (pepsodent)

Chrome polish (turtle wax)

Clearcoat polishing compound (No. 7)

Yes, I used all of these on the same windshield. It looks much better than it did, but, it still has some scratches I would like to get out. Has anyone tried floor wax? Is there some special technique I don't know about? I followed the directions on the container or just put it on with a clean cloth and buffed it with a power ball buffer when it was dry. Any advise will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Polishing plastic takes time - lots of it. Unfortunately if you want it perfect you've got to start with a coarser product and slowly move towards the finer stuff.

I have had good luck using automotive rubbing compound followed by automotive polishing compound. Think about it - the clear coat on cars is nothing more than polyurethane plastic anyway.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've had great luck restoring taillights and headlights by using automotive rubbing compound followed by brasso.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts