Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at taking my GL on longer trips, weekenders and such, and at the moment the wind and all that is just too much after 100mi or so. I thought I'd add a (although a little ugly) windscreen and bags to help me go further more comfortably. The only new plexi screens I can find are about $200, which seems to be a lot. I want to know if these "universal" designs would fit on my bike with my current "superbike" lower bars.

So, plexi screen and soft or hard bag recommendations from anyone??

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
800 Posts
Because the superbike bars leave very little room to work with you might have a difficult time getting any of the larger fairings to work .
the Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire will fit without much trouble and provides a surprisingly nice amount of protection. I'm using one with Daytona that are a tad taller than the superbikes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231237778305?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also been using Tourmaster Cruiser III Nylon Slant Saddlebags (Large) for a number of years on my GL. With a little bit of adjustment and some creative trimming on the cross piece you can install them beneath the rear seat so they look permanently mounted. but you can pop the rear seat and carry them away.
Tourmaster Cruiser III Nylon Slant Saddlebags Black Large L 8202 0305 06 | eBay

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, yeah that's what I was worried about. I heard from someone that has a used "full" windscreen, but I'd hate to buy it just to find out it doesn't fit...

Thanks for those links, very helpful. Does anyone else have suggestions?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, since you asked for opinions...I've decided (again!) I like top-loading bags/panniers. I have the Interstate ones now, but it's a pain packing a load of stuff in them...for instance, something always sticks out so you can't close em properly. Especially noted when you want something on the roadside or camping..everything has to be repacked exactly two or three times just to close them.
Still, without any $, you can get some pretty nice hard, locking suitcases at the thrift store- getting two the same is a little harder... :) but can be done! They can be painted.
Soft bags are ok...however can be same issue- I have some with zippers on three sides but I TRY to never unzip them round the corners...also I've seen these unzip themselves so I tie the zippers together with a cord or, if the bag will completely close, a tiny padlock keeps most juvenile deliquents from getting into them for a little while, assuming they don't carry switchblades, that is.
Per soft bags...One thing that looks ugly to some but is pretty effective; are backpacks ...get two cheapos the same. Put a piece of plywood in. Make a bar that goes from footrest bolt to somewhere on the frame under/behind seat to keep them out of the wheels. Use the straps from one to the other to get them across or under the seat. yet Another backpack works pretty well as a top bag strapped to seat or backrack.
Backpacks have exterior pockets which is pretty practical. Motorcycle Panniers do not, so to get a water bottle or whatever, you can end up unpacking the whole works.

I'm not a fan of windscreens on handlebars, but if you are on a 4-lane a lot , I hear you, but I think in that case, it's Hard to beat a frame mounted windjammer...if there's anybody that sells old mc bits, they might have a lot of these.... with those bars, shelter from the wind will cause you to put more weight on your wrists.... a small one --a Spitfire? as shown in SLiM's link might be all you want..
....A common complaint I hear from friends about fairings and shields is the helmet-batting turbulence behind them so I would tell you to expect a handlebar change to get into the "sweet spot".
and, you may find your neck really suggestively close to a top edge when you get it set up whatever you use....argh. finally, not a really big deal but , but take special care to set it up straight - you don't want it creating a steering wobble at higher speeds. Measuring long diagonals from various places on the bike to various places on the screen is a help to do this..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts