Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used wind deflector that are attached to the fairing to get more air to you when it is warm?

I have seen them on Gold wings before, are they costly? Could I use them on a GL500i?

Ev

MI.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Most if not all will fit the hondaline fairing. I've seen them for sale on ebay for the GL500 for about $50.00 to $90.00 depending on the style. Any deflector that will fit a GL1100 should also fit the GL500 Fairing Deflector. I've basically seen them used to deflect the wind away from you when it's cold. I imagine that turning them inbound would give you some air, provided they don't tear off. HTH

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I use "AIR WINGS" year round. In cool weather they do keep some wind/rain off you, and in warm weather they can put a lot of air behind the fairing and help cool you down. In this pic they are set for cooling, it was near 100 F. (my GL650 on right) I have been up to 100 mph and they don't have a problem staying put!

Here is a better pic of the mounting position I use. I had them 1" lower but moving them up to this position helps flow more air to my torso because it tilts them up a bit.

I got mine in several pieces as junk and glued them back together back in '09. Still hanging tough despite a few lay downs along the way...

A view from the side...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use "AIR WINGS" year round. In cool weather they do keep some wind/rain off you, and in warm weather they can put a lot of air behind the fairing and help cool you down. In this pic they are set for cooling, it was near 100 F. (my GL650 on right) I have been up to 100 mph and they don't have a problem staying put!

Here is a better pic of the mounting position I use. I had them 1" lower but moving them up to this position helps flow more air to my torso because it tilts them up a bit.

I got mine in several pieces as junk and glued them back together back in '09. Still hanging tough despite a few lay downs along the way...

A view from the side...

Thanks for the pictures and reply. I will have to look into getting a set if I can get them

for a fair price. Do not see many around.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I used to have them on my GL 500i. Used them for years both Summer and Winter.

As Steve said, they widen the envelope of still air in the Winter as well as providing cool air in the Summer.

In all fairness, I think they are much more effective in Summer at the cool air thing.

Problem I always had with them was snapping them off when I mounted/dismounted. Usually the right one and usually in the Winter when they were cold and brittle.

I finally got tired of that nonsense and went and bought a piece of 3/16" Lexan at Lowes that was big enough to make two replacement pieces.

Cut these out with metal cutting shears (if I recall correctly) and then bent them to the required shape on a sheet metal brake.

Attached them to the brackets and mounted them up and never broke one again.

Hurt my knees a couple of times on them but never broke one!

Now.... I need to make another set of them for my BMW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.