Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm Mat. i just made my account today. also i just bought my first bike today, a honda cx500 custom. the speedometer is broken, i think its just the cable, but i want to put a new one on. i found this one online, V-Twin Mini Speedometer with 2240:60 Ratio - FXST/FLST Models - VT-39-0579 i like the look of it and i think it is the right ratio but i am not sure if is completely compatible.
Any help is appreciated, again this is my first bike i am new to ridding. just took the motorcycle safety class a couple months ago. and thank you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are you looking to replace it for vanity? Is it not operating? First inspect the cable like condo said. No joy? Test it with a drill. Dismount the cable on the wheel side simply hook a drill up and see if it spins the clock. Does the needle jump up n down at speeds in normal operation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do need to replace the cable because its disconnected and broken, I also do want to change it out for vanity i plan on slowly turning this bike into a cafe. I want to get a speedometer with the warning lights built in and an iphone mount next to it. eventually a clubman handlebar and a cafe racer style seat. also strip a lot of the weight on the bike. anyway here is a picture of the bike:

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Just to insert a testing tip that was mentioned earlier.....if using a drill to test the speedo, make sure you run the drill in reverse!
There is plenty of good info in the WIKI *see below* about the speedos.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again guys, and Condo thanks for the input. The bike is in pretty good working condition it's had mechanical stuff clean out fixed/replaced. But, yes, I am now thinking I am going to just try and fix all the remain minor problems before I do any extreme remodel. Also I found out that it's not just the cable but the speedo is broken aswell (the needle fell off inside). So I am think I'll get a stock odometer for a while. Because I want to know a lot more than I know now before I start changing a lot. But I do eventually want to turn it to a cafe.
Dose anyone know a good place I get a good stock speedo and tachometer, and how to check what's wrong with the tachometer? Because that's broke to.
And as always thanks for the help.

Oh and the meter is at 100k or something

1 - 6 of 6 Posts