Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new memeber. Been reading as much as I can to get educated from the masters. I hate to bother all again for a redundant problem. I had my 79 CX500 in storage for ten yr-work got in my plans. I am now ready to ride again. I am not rebuilding engine at this time. (47K miles ) I have rebuilt the MC, brake caliper,carbs,new petcock for the tank,new battery (charged slow for 20 hrs), air filer and have an Ignitech on order with the next group buy.

I have cleaned and sanded all the wire contacts from both coils. Took the CDI out and sanded the bike frame and the green ground. I sprayed all the connectors with CRC Electronic Cleaner.I replaced the 20A fuse. Put all back together and turned the key--lights came on and I hit the Start button. The lights dimmed for a second--no cranking. I then turned key off and jumped the solenoid. The starter did turn the engine over-I stopped after a couple of cranks.

So what would be my next step-wait for the new Ignitech box? Or Proceed to look at the start switch

OH- forgot- I removed the fairing--the wiring harness for it is just the lights. Would not think it would affect anything.

Thanks in advance. Also---any ownwers in the Clear Lake,Texas area near NASA?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have another used solenoid- may have to get another. What do I look for in the start button?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I cant remember at the moment what they recommend but basically it's a suggestion to get a type of cleaner just special for it and hose it down on the contacts.

You could hook up a test light to the plug connecting to the solinoid and see if when you press the start button the light lights up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I will try both tomorrow. I will read the info on the can of the CRC Cleaner. I have used it on various other applications

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Your CRC cleaner is perfect for the job. If you can open up the clamshell housing where the starter button is, that will help direct the spray into the area better. This may not solve your problem, but it is a fast way to start. The switch assembly can be removed and opened up and the contacts physically cleaned. Kinda a fiddly job, as there is a small spring and ball inside that likes to jump out. Lay a large clean towel under the switch before you start. That makes it easier to find dropped parts.

As Don said, it could also be your solenoid. Do you hear a click when you press the button? If no clickly, then it is probably the starter switch.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Blue Fox, now that you mention it, I did not heard any clicking-only silence.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Thanks Blue Fox, now that you mention it, I did not heard any clicking-only silence.

If there is no clicky, that still leaves the starter switch OR solenoid on the table.

check the solenoid feed. If the solenoid is getting power from the switch, its the solenoid. If no power, its probably the switch needing cleaned.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i think you need a new battery.hook your bikes battery to a car battery,via jump leads.

try your start test again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was checking the battery via my battery tester. However, I could not find the specs for the CCA required-hence not sure. I did ck the specific gravity and it was lower than 1.28--so I returned it to get a new one. It is charging now. However, dummy me did not perform Bandit's recommendation for hooking to my car battery. So everyone's recommendation is on hold till tomorrow.

Again thanks to all for taking the time to reply to help. I am a novice but willing to learn.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

With the new battery, still no crank. I changed the solenoid to another one--Yes, it did crank. Now to get all of the other needed pieces back on the bike before I can really see if it starts and runs.

Question 1: Since I am sure this solenoid is 1979- can the aftermarket ones before sold in ebay be a good investment.

Question 2: Since my Start button is working at this time- what suggestions for this original 1979. Get a new one---as ebay will have used ones as well.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts