Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 GL650I which needs a new sidestand. I have found a possible side stand for a GL500. However I know that the part number is not the same as that for a GL650. I am wondering if it might possibly be suitable despite the different part number. Does anybody know?

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,902 Posts
Wounder if it's the same as a Cx650 eurosport part number and a Gl650i if it is I a could see if they are interchange able.as i have a euro and Gl500i , Good day

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
couple of minutes with a tape measure will answer your question

·
Registered
842 Posts
I recall reading a post that said one could alter a bike's lean one way or the other by using a gl500 side stand on a gl650 or vice versa suggesting they are interchangeable but using one or the other may affect the lean. I just measured the side stands of both my 650 and 500 from the center of the bolt hole to the bottom of the shafts. The gl500 stand measured 9", the 650 8 1/4. These measurments are rough in that I was lying on my side, etc, but the 650 is shorter. Sounds like you may have figured this out, but one bit of advice is to find a side stand that has the extension that allows for your foot to bring it down and lift it up. That piece is often missing and when it is it creates a pia when trying to operate the stand. Here's about the best fix I've ever seen for these:
Wood Tool Metal Natural material Artifact

The fix preserves the curve of the extension which goes underneath the muffler when in the up position. Plus it looks like it will hold up even better than the original.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Wounder if it's the same as a Cx650 eurosport part number and a Gl650i if it is I a could see if they are interchange able.as i have a euro and Gl500i , Good day
The 650E's forks are several inches shorter than the GL500's so its stands are also shorter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts