Deluxe 79,80
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if it will match up.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,064 Posts
I believe they're different, but I don't recall what those differences are. The spacing of the mounts, perhaps?

·
Registered
Deluxe 79,80
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering , are they the same motor just with a different body / frame style.

·
Registered
Deluxe 79,80
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have the measurements between the 2 rear mounts ? Outside to outside

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,064 Posts
I can try to find one of each the next time I'm in the shed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Unfortunately, the mounting points are different between the CX and the GL. I had a spare hbox from an '82GL500 parts bike that would not fit an '80 CX500 Deluxe. I had to buy an hbox for the CX. There are variations even among the CX's to accommodate the lower foot pegs of the CX Customs.

Between the CX and GL, I think the diffs are both the spacing of the rear brackets and the distance between the front and rear mounts.

I still have that spare GL hbox in decent condition if you want to buy it.

·
Registered
Deluxe 79,80
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
were the mounting locations the same but outside of that different with the pegs being in the way etc.. ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
were the mounting locations the same but outside of that different with the pegs being in the way etc.. ?
The mounting points are diff between the CX and GL. I think the mounting points are the same for CX's of similar years, but don't know for sure.

UPDATE - On the GL's hbox the centerline distance betweeen the front and rear mounts is 6.25" and the distance between the rear brackets is 4.75". Those same measurements on the CX are 7" front-back and 5.25" between the rear brackets. Measurements are not precise, but close enough to show the diffs between the models.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
Deluxe 79,80
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mounting points are diff between the CX and GL. I think the mounting points are the same for CX's of similar years, but don't know for sure.

UPDATE - On the GL's hbox the centerline distance betweeen the front and rear mounts is 6.25" and the distance between the rear brackets is 4.75". Those same measurements on the CX are 7" front-back and 5.25" between the rear brackets. Measurements are not precise, but close enough to show the diffs between the models.
Thank. That was helpful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i'll trade you a GL500 hbox for one of your CX500 radiator covers.

·
Registered
Deluxe 79,80
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll trade you a GL500 hbox for one of your CX500 radiator covers.
Sorry. I Just saw this message. I’m not in need of an exhaust anymore. I do have some covers coming in today, powdercoated with a satin black finish today. Like this one but the backplates are unpainted I also have raw aluminum available

Reactions: richnct
1 - 11 of 11 Posts